• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016
    NP: BORDERLANDS - THE PRE-SEQUEL (Jesper Kyd)

After a string of disappotining promos, I needed a dose of what I KNEW I'd like.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Thor wrote
    NP: PLANET EARTH II (Hans Zimmer's minions)

Unfortunately, a lot of this wanders around in rather aimless 'trailer' territory. Big, muscular chord there, a little bit of awe and wonder there -- but with very little to latch on to. And the 2CD album is of course much too long. But some fine individual moments; I'm confident this would work much better in a neat, 50-minute programme. Guess it's another one added to my 'to make playlist' list.

I wish Zimmer had done this all on his own.

the music in the first episode fits perfectly. lovely melodies, a nice orchestration and beautiful variations of zimmers theme throuout the episode. just a couple of action/suspense moments have the rcp/trailer sound, but also these parts fit to the mood and images. the rest is very good and i think not worse than fentons music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If just judging by the music and the musical presentation on the albums, Fenton's is in a whole other league. But I'm looking forward to seeing the show; that clip with the iguana and the snakes has gone on viral on social media these last few hours.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The 13th Warrior Jerry Goldsmith

Sounds positively old fashioned.
  1. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NOCTURNAL ANIMALS - Abel Korzeniowski

Gorgeous. probably my favourite score of the year.

To recap what I said over at FSM: After having heard through the promo once, I must say I feel rather the opposite as you. Probably my least favourite Korzeniowski so far, as far as albums are concerned. Don't get me wrong, there are good cues here, but some of the insistant minimalism becomes a bit too much for me. It passes the limit into 'grating'. Maybe it will be better in the movie itself.

Just had my first listen of that this morning. It has some gorgeous highlights, but quite a bit of it seemed like not much was going on.

NP - THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER - Scott Walker

This is awful. I don't remember who recommended this to me but I'm not enjoying this on any level.
  2. Thor wrote
    If just judging by the music and the musical presentation on the albums, Fenton's is in a whole other league. But I'm looking forward to seeing the show; that clip with the iguana and the snakes has gone on viral on social media these last few hours.

I think that Zimmer's theme is pleasing to the ear but it doesn't sound particularly ambitious. It's a broad-stroke composition that envelops the listener without being particularly creative. To me, anyway.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NOCTURNAL ANIMALS - Abel Korzeniowski

Gorgeous. probably my favourite score of the year.

To recap what I said over at FSM: After having heard through the promo once, I must say I feel rather the opposite as you. Probably my least favourite Korzeniowski so far, as far as albums are concerned. Don't get me wrong, there are good cues here, but some of the insistant minimalism becomes a bit too much for me. It passes the limit into 'grating'. Maybe it will be better in the movie itself.

Just had my first listen of that this morning. It has some gorgeous highlights, but quite a bit of it seemed like not much was going on.

This is awful. I don't remember who recommended this to me but I'm not enjoying this on any level.

Nocturnal Animals

Wonderful first track, the rest was a bit too much the same. All quite lovely, but not lingering behind like the first track.

The Childhood of a Leader

What a bold opening track. It's a thundering display of everything Hollywood hates nowadays. That's why I love it. The rest is a bit harder, but still acceptable.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. christopher wrote

Really? I'll grant it's not easy listening but the opening track is bold and forceful in an almost Bernard Herrmann-esque level the likes of which you simply don't hear very often. I think it's a fantastic cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Planet Earth II

Determined to make it to the end, but it's a hard slog. There are plenty of moments when it's OK but it's very colourless. None of the finesse of Fenton, none of the wit nor the charm - it's probably better than I feared it might be, not as good as I hoped it would be, and it's undoubtedly the least interesting music I've heard for a BBC natural history show - but those standards are very high.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016
    Star Trek Into Darkness Michael Giacchino

My most listened to score of these new iterations. I suppose that means it's my favourite. I love Giacchino's take on the new Trek films. They're far removed from anything that went before, which is not surprising considering the films, and yet retains just the right amount of nods towards the old Trek scores. They don't exactly sound like Star Trek, if you've grown up with it, but they do at least satisfy this hardcore Trekkie. So he's doing something right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016
    Nocturnal Animals - Abel K

Very elegant, intelligently-constructed music but like most things by him I struggle to find the same connection to it that seems to come so easily to others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016 edited
    No, I'm with ya on that one, James. On this one score, at least. I connect very easily with him on most everything else I've heard.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Air Force One (1997) - Jerry Goldsmith

Even so it remains untarnished. Hereby I reclaim this music. A Great score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Air Force One (1997) - Jerry Goldsmith

Even so it remains untarnished. Hereby I reclaim this music. A Great score.

Volker

applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You should play 'The President's Speech' next, Volker. punk
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote

Really? I'll grant it's not easy listening but the opening track is bold and forceful in an almost Bernard Herrmann-esque level the likes of which you simply don't hear very often. I think it's a fantastic cue.

Yes, that opening track could be my track of 2016.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ISABEL (Federico Jusid)

Brilliant score, one of the best TV scores in recent years (although its consecutive IFMCA wins for every new season he did was a bit over the top, IMO).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote

I didn't even like that opening track. I think I'd have to go back several years to find a score that I disliked as much as this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    christopher wrote

I liked it but I'm not too bothered about hearing it again.

Alan, I suspect it's the Herrmann/Shore sound in this that attracts you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I suspect that it is.
  9. NP: Banking On Bitcoin - Ben Prunty

A 100-minute album full of catchy electronic tracks written for a new documentary. I suspect that the album's length may be down to the tracks being fully-realised compositions from which the film score was taken.

Thor, this may be something that you are particularly interested in?

The entire album can be listened over at Bandcamp:

https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/ci … on-bitcoin
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A 100-minute album full of catchy electronic tracks

I think you just made Thor's brain split in half!
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A 100-minute album full of catchy electronic tracks

I think you just made Thor's brain split in half!

biggrin

It could send him into a circular argument with himself that he may never emerge from.
  12. KNIELEN OP EEN BED VIOLEN - Dirk Brosse

First listen.
  13. ZIPI Y ZAPE Y LA ISLA DEL CAPITAN - Fernando Velasquez.

First listen. That first track, though! Wow. I don't expect beauty like that from a film like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Banking On Bitcoin - Ben Prunty

A 100-minute album full of catchy electronic tracks written for a new documentary. I suspect that the album's length may be down to the tracks being fully-realised compositions from which the film score was taken.

Thor, this may be something that you are particularly interested in?

The entire album can be listened over at Bandcamp:

https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/ci … on-bitcoin

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Musical presentation always trumps musical content, though (meaning that no matter how beautiful the music is, if it's undermined by excessive presentation, it's moot).

Edit: Listened to a few tracks now, and it's quite good. A 40-50 minute album of the best tracks would be cool.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. NP: Horse of Kings, Thief of Hearts - Gino & Jiri Taihuttu

A great little score from these Dutch guitarists for a documentary about the Carthusian Horse. Spanish guitar music abounds. Think Gypsy Kings and you get a sense of what we have here: great acoustic guitar, lots of hand-clapping and a bit of synth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016
    NP: MONROE (Dominik Scherrer)

Never seen the show or know anything about it, but the music keeps sticking in my collection. Clearly, there's something here that I like.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    Musical presentation always trumps musical content, though

face-palm-mt
  16. Presentation Trumps content.
    That does ring a bell.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.