• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016

That's rich coming from a fan of Junkie XL.

JXL has more dynamic range in his little finger than MG.

This is where I stop reading anything Thor writes and move on. What lunacy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    How exactly not? What's the difference between a texture and an orchestration choice?

A texture is more what you do with the instruments, not just the choice of them. Orchestration is more vertical (literally on the score sheet), while texture is more about how you develop it (more horizontal). That's how I see it, anyway.

Er, you're going to have to show me how, exactly. At least Giacchino is more than just LOUD LOUD LOUD in his action cues.

So is JXL. But unlike MG, he also has a far wider dynamic in his music. His grasp on electronica allows him to do gorgeous things like DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS and his orchestral skill has more soul, emotion and thematic identity than anything MG has ever done. This will be particularly evident in his upcoming BRIMSTONE, which I'm confident will surprise more than a few people.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

He, he....right on time! I was waiting for your trademark responses to viewpoints you don't agree with! :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

He, he....right on time! I was waiting for your trademark responses to viewpoints you don't agree with! :D

Oh, this is a far more serious matter, Thor. You might be seriously ill, especially when you write nonsense like this. "His orchestral skill has more soul, emotion and thematic identity than anything MG has ever done." dizzy

This one is a doozy, too. "Orchestration is more vertical (literally on the score sheet), while texture is more about how you develop it (more horizontal)."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016
    Passengers - Thomas Newman

Yup, this is definitely Newman. The craft is definitely there (as it always is with this composer) but the cues mostly just run together in my mind. If there's any themes, they're pretty hidden.
  1. I'm pretty sure Thor is using different definitions of the terms "texture" and "dynamic range" than we are, Erik. Possibly also of "music".

No but seriously, Thor, claiming that JXL's orchestral writing is better than Giacchino's comes very, very close to being an outright lie. If it wasn't for that damned subjectivity of the arts thing...but seriously. SERIOUSLY.
  2. Erik Woods wrote

This one is a doozy, too. "Orchestration is more vertical (literally on the score sheet), while texture is more about how you develop it (more horizontal)."

-Erik-

Actually, this is quite spot on - texture is more about the overall sound, how it develops over time (whether it's long-lined vibrato string line or a slowly unraveling electronic pad, you could say that it's, yes, more horizontal). It's more about the timbre. A Giacchino kind of texture is him having strings play his dramatic/emotional material sul ponticello and therefore creating a very strained expression of emotions, for example.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016 edited
    Thor is trying to separate orchestration and texture. Orchestration IS texture... and rhythms and harmonies. It's important for sure but it's part of the orchestration process, not its own separate thing. The moment you add notes to a page you are adding texture.

-Erik-
  3. yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    ROGUE ONE - Michael Giacchino

Hmm. Michael Giacchino seems to be so caught up in recreating the John Williams Star Wars sound, that he forgets to develop his own themes. The music livens up when the good old themes come up, and they do with a certain regularity yet always just a fragment, and the whole march- and brass heavy sturm und drang does make an entertaining score, but whereas Star Wars is all about putting themes front and center, Giacchino disappoints in this area, with his most notable new march-theme suspiciously sounding like a Giacchino-fied version of Williams' March of the Resistance from The Force Awakens. I'm curious to see if this will reveal more intricate thematics over repeated listens, but I'm afraid this will remain Star Wars light - entertaining yet forgettable. At least on first listening there's nothing that sticks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016
    Star Warszzzzzzzzzz sleep ( at least until I hear it wink )

NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

Magic! One of JB's best scores. There is only so many film score composers who write such sublime choral music and Barry is one of them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Thanks for that discussion, Thor and Edmund! One of the most interesting things here lately. I hope to listen to the score tonight.
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh, this is a far more serious matter, Thor. You might be seriously ill, especially when you write nonsense like this. "His orchestral skill has more soul, emotion and thematic identity than anything MG has ever done." dizzy

'Lunacy'. 'Seriously ill'. These are actually terms you use -- and not even jokingly(?) -- because I think JXL is superior to MG?! Really, Erik? I think that says more about you, to be honest. But it's not your first time, nor will it be your last. It comes with the "Erik package".

I agree it's not probably the correct musicological definitions of either, but it's the way I've thought of them. Orchestration IS more of a vertical enterprise, though, if you think about how composers add the instrument lines on the score sheets.

'Texture' is a more wide term, also used for scores that are non-orchestral. As Pawel says, it's more about development.

But there is overlap between them, no doubt.

Point is that a seemingly "pretty" orchestration doesn't necessarily make for an interesting texture.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Just played: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - Michael Giacchino

Oh, well, I guess my verdict will be as predictable as has been Thor's: I am awestruck!

I see this on par with McNeely's Shadows Of The Empire and that says something!

I love the treatment of William's original material. Especially the way he indicates the Main Theme without ever stating it is of incredible elegance and subtlety.

This is STAR WARS sans Jedi, so a good bit of grandeur and sense of wonder is gone. This is - I assume - a down to galaxy thriller and the score reflects that.

I am very happy with what I just listened to and will give it repeated runs throughout the holidays.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just played: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino

This is a very fine Giacchino score, that harkens back to his finest game scoring days.
    However, while hitting all the right stylistics, it's not a very strong Star Wars score.
    As was remarked on before, it's surprisingly a-thematic, and the themes that are there are carry-overs.

I do enjoy the little musical hints to the 1977 Star Wars with the Droids theme and the then very different Imperial motif. But if's really not enough to carry the score.
    It's strong, and clearly composed by someone on the top of the craft.
    I do like the orchestration (which is of every bit as much as important as the composition: c'est le ton qui fait la musique!), which is the one thing that is really Star Wars-y.

For the rest.
    Well. I don't hate it.
    I'll probably give it another listen after I've seen the film (on Monday).
    But it's exceedingly likely I'll not revisit it again. I just don't enjoy it very much. It's got nothing to draw me in. It's got nothing to keep my interest.

This may be Star Wars for a new generation, and they're of course very welcome to it. But it's not for me.
    I'd rate it 3 out of 5.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just seen the film which I liked a lot ( I look forward to the boards biggest Star Wars fan giving his views ), Giacchino's score isn't 'utterly dreadful', far from it but it also isn't that great, I'd rate it 2/5 in film context, he has great chops but he is no John Williams ( but then who is? wink ).

Personally I'm very disappointed Alexandre Desplat was dropped.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Yes, but even The Force Awakens was overall less thematic than earlier SW scores. Techniques have changed here as they have with many other aspects of such films, especially the cutting and the sound design. One doesn't have to like that of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I see this on par with McNeely's Shadows Of The Empire and that says something!

While I obviously disagree in your assessment of ROGUE ONE, I do share your enthusiasm for SHADOWS. Superb STAR WARS score!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Besides, I also like the cover art of the Rogue One CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Besides, I also like the cover art of the Rogue One CD.

Me too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I do share your enthusiasm for SHADOWS. Superb STAR WARS score!

Abso-bloody-lutely. FANTASTIC work by McNeely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Nice that there are still thing that we all agree upon. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    It's the first time in a long time that I sat in the audience and actually shook my head in disbelief at what I was hearing; the utter garbage I was being served as music. I'm convinced the score was at least 50% responsible for me giving the film a mere 'OK' judgement as opposed to 'good'. Fuck Giacchino!

Wow! I missed this comment from you earlier, that is exceptionally harsh coming from you Thor? You're usually much more reasoned in your dislikes. I suspect you wouldn't have had a very differing opinion had it been Alexandre Desplat.
  9. NP R1 again.

Can't help it, Giacchino music just makes me feel good. Is that a blaster beam in Jedha Arrival?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's the first time in a long time that I sat in the audience and actually shook my head in disbelief at what I was hearing; the utter garbage I was being served as music. I'm convinced the score was at least 50% responsible for me giving the film a mere 'OK' judgement as opposed to 'good'. Fuck Giacchino!

Wow! I missed this comment from you earlier, that is exceptionally harsh coming from you Thor? You're usually much more reasoned in your dislikes. I suspect you wouldn't have had a very differing opinion had it been Alexandre Desplat.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier why this score pissed me off more than usual. A couple of reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, but even The Force Awakens was overall less thematic than earlier SW scores. Techniques have changed here as they have with many other aspects of such films, especially the cutting and the sound design. One doesn't have to like that of course.

Actually, I disagree with you on that one as I've been giving that some thoughts, how The Force Awakens was initially condemned for having not enough new themes versus now that same argument for Rogue One.

Maybe Force is not a score that is packed with major and minor interplaying themes, but it does prominently feature both major new themes like Rey's Theme and the March of the Resistance, both referenced throughout, ending with the wonderful Jedi Steps theme that shows Williams setting themes up for films to come and thus showing he's simply starting to build a new house of themes for this trilogy, and full bodied reprisals of classic themes. I don't think you could say The Force Awakens is a child of the moment of having less themes - Williams simply tried to start with a blank slate again, to build another thematic world, which is only logically not as heavily populated with themes as, say, a third part of a trilogy.

Then compare this with Rogue One, a score that is by no means as well developed in his new themes and only references parts of classic themes without giving them full blooded takes. It's almost as if Giacchino is hesitant to put too much of his own stamp onto the franchise, or it's his lack of time showing (the Imperial Suite resembling his Jurassic World march to a shocking extent). To my understanding, Rogue One is NOT that concerned as The Force Awakens is with building its own thematic universe.
  10. I'm not sure what was demanded of Giacchino in regard to Williams' original material. I would assume that the producers were anxious to set this spin off apart from the episodic film series sufficiently without alienating the fan base. Finding the right path here is difficult, not least for the composer.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Just seen the film which I liked a lot ( I look forward to the boards biggest Star Wars fan giving his views ), Giacchino's score isn't 'utterly dreadful', far from it but it also isn't that great, I'd rate it 2/5 in film context, he has great chops but he is no John Williams ( but then who is? wink ).

Personally I'm very disappointed Alexandre Desplat was dropped.

I just got back from the film (which I didn't particularly like) and thought the score was a misfire in context. It mostly works on album but there was moment after moment in the film where it felt misjudged and distracting. Giacchino can write a score like this in his sleep so I'm just going to assume that the time constraints were a major impact.
  11. NP: Silent Running (1971) - Peter Schickele

Literally my last Holy Grail. Listening to "Rejoice In The Sun", sung by Joan Baez, coming from my speakers is an emotional thing indeed.
    Given, that this is an LP transfer, the CD sounds awesome. I'm a happy camper! smile

Volker
  12. NP: Beverly Hills Cop (1984) & Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) - Harold Faltermeyer

I wouldn't call these Grails, but for a connoisseur of 80s electronica those two releases are a minor dream come true.

cool Volker