• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Silent Running (1971) - Peter Schickele

Literally my last Holy Grail. Listening to "Rejoice In The Sun", sung by Joan Baez, coming from my speakers is an emotional thing indeed.
    Given, that this is an LP transfer, the CD sounds awesome. I'm a happy camper! smile

Volker

One of my all time favourite pieces is from this score.

Tending To Huey

One of the most gentle and poignant pieces ever IMO, simply beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2016
    NP: DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS (Junkie XL)

Fantastic!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2016
    The Great Wall Ramin Djawadi

Game Of Thrones on steroids and better orchestrations. It has an actual theme too.
  1. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Beverly Hills Cop (1984) & Beverly Hills Cop II (1987) - Harold Faltermeyer

I wouldn't call these Grails, but for a connoisseur of 80s electronica those two releases are a minor dream come true.

cool Volker

Those are basically archival releases. You'll find many variations of the Main Theme, some cues from the underscore end abruptly. Bear in mind that this was not meant to be released in its entirety. So don't expect to receive well crafted electronica studio albums. That goes especially for the first CD. Nevertheless there is some really great music to be found here.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2016 edited
    WESTWORLD | ramin djawadi

In love with the track Dr. Ford, one of my favourite tracks of the year. The rest of the two cd's has its ups and downs so it's not all that good. Some of the pieces are 'classical' interpretations of famous songs (Painted Black, Back to Black, ...) which are attractive in itself. The use of the westerny honky ponky piano is nice too, because the theme Djwadi uses throughout is catchy. But 2 cd's is too long.
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    WESTWORLD | ramin djawadi

In love with the track Dr. Ford, one of my favourite tracks of the year.

It is, isn't it? Can't get it out of my head. Simply can't. Truly mesmerizing.
    Especially since it reflects the character so damn well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2016
    Rogue One Michael Giacchino

It's a good score, with a few genuinely excellent moments, ever so slightly marred by the knowledge that we could have got a Desplat Star Wars score. (Still, it's also elevated by the fact that one of Thor's most hated composers was replaced by one of his other most hated composers, so it's not entirely disappointing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Rogue One Michael Giacchino

It's a good score, with a few genuinely excellent moments, ever so slightly marred by the knowledge that we could have got a Desplat Star Wars score. (Still, it's also elevated by the fact that one of Thor's most hated composers was replaced by one of his other most hated composers, so it's not entirely disappointing.)

...and the fact that the score in question is also hated by me. So that's a triple Thor hate right there, which should result in a triple Steven love.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    love love love

Assassin's Creed Jed.. Kurzel?

I haven't listened to it. But I'm pretty sure it's bad.
  3. NP - IN A VALLEY OF VIOLENCE - Jeff Grace

First, and probably only, listen. If the first two tracks are anything to judge the rest of the score by, I'm going to hate this.
  4. NP: Lonely Are The Brave (1962) - Jerry Goldsmith

The film aired on TV here in Germany tonight. A bitter-sweet swansong to the old West, featuring Kirk Douglas in a fine character study.
    The praise of this score is seldom sung. It happens to be one of my all time favourites by the composer.

Volker
  5. NP: Rogue One (2016) - Michael Giacchino

Effectively this score is the prelude to William's original masterpiece. Listening to both scores back to back reveals the highly intelligent approach Giacchino has taken. By indicating the classic themes without - mostly - quoiting them verbatim, by approaching William's style without emulating it, the score flows seamlessly into the '77 awe and splendour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Screw you and everyone who likes that abomination! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2016
    While hitting all the stylistic notes just right (without a doubt this is a Star Wars score), the music -emotionally or dramatically- did nothing for me either within or outside of the film. It's functional. That's it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, if it only had been functional. That would at least have been something.

(just let me know when to stop. I'll be here all night).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I will not. I'm listening to the beautiful theme from Lonesome Dove by Poledouris right now and then I'll wrap it up. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd love to say something here but my phone battery is abou
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    While hitting all the stylistic notes just right (without a doubt this is a Star Wars score), the music -emotionally or dramatically- did nothing for me either within or outside of the film. It's functional. That's it.

Yeah! It didn't really do much for me in or out of the movie. Functional is the apt description though some scenes felt 'mis-scored' to me, a lack of cohesion, unlike Volker this didn't sound to me like a score that "flows seamlessly into the '77 awe and splendour", more like a John Williams homage minus anything really catchy and anything really memorable beyond the tunes we all know and love.

Does anyone know if Desplat completed a score for the film?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm unsure of how much Desplat actually scored for Rogue One's original cut. Sure would be interesting to hear!
    I'm pretty impressed with most of what Giacchino has created here.
    How can people not appreciate his (almost biblical) theme for "Guardians of the Whills". Beautiful!
    His "Hope" theme is short and nice (although it slightly reminds me of Barry's "Out Of Africa" theme).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm much closer to Volker's view on Rogue One. Having said that, I would have absolutely loved to hear Desplat's take which I guess would have sounded very different.
  7. Rogue One sounds completely differently compared with the original Star Wars score and the transition is completely jarring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And going by history, anything with "jar" in it in Star Wars cannot be good.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    And going by history, anything with "jar" in it in Star Wars cannot be good.

biggrin

Rogue One sounds much more akin to The Empire Strikes Back, with its 'fuller' orchestrations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

I can't stop listening to this. One of the year's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Does anyone know if Desplat completed a score for the film?

He never got a locked picture and from what I was told he worked on it for like 3 weeks before leaving!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2016

Reasonably good in places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rogue One MG

After a few listens and time for it to sink in, as usual it's another fantastic Giacchino score. Is it a good Star Wars score? Maybe, maybe not. But it is a good Rogue One score, in light of how un-Star Wars the film felt.

As Atham says, Guardians of the Whills is beautiful. One of his best.

Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Distance Between Dreams - Junkie XL

Decent electronic score with some good stuff, I already like it better than most of his other scores but that doesn't say a lot. Far from being the best electronic score of the year though.

Passengers - Thomas Newman

I like it, it is a solid Newman score, nothing less nothing more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote
    Distance Between Dreams - Junkie XL

Decent electronic score with some good stuff, I already like it better than most of his other scores but that doesn't say a lot. Far from being the best electronic score of the year though.

I agree it's not the best electronic score of the year (there were SO many good ones this year), but it is most definitely one of the 10 best scores of the year in general.

Passengers - Thomas Newman

I like it, it is a solid Newman score, nothing less nothing more.

I like it a bit more than you on album -- love the Newman gimmicks channeled through 'echoey' effects that connote the vastness of space. Although, as I've said before, in the film the score feels a bit 'small' and detached on occasion.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Did anyone here see the film Pandorum? The trailer of Passengers seems to start from a similar premise.

Volker