• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    I also thought it was the most entertaining of "TOS" re-boot cast films, not least because it didn't keep referring to past moments ( Khan etc ) and winking at its audience.

I agree. It is the most original story, even though the destruction of the Enterprise echoes the course of the original film series. I believe had the "Darkness villain" gone by another name and had he had another background we would have had a fine film. The clumsy rehash overshadows other qualities the film has.
    I generally like the first film, despite lens flares and it's plot somewhat repeating the original Star Wars. (You've done that two times now, J.J., be done with it.)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016
    Yes, the destruction sequence had too many echoes of ST III and Generations. It didn't bother me much though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK BEYOND - Michael Giacchino

Really like this one. You should try it Thor, you'd love it.

Ha, ha...I've tried it. The only thing I like about MG's STAR TREK scores is the main theme thingie.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ha, ha...I've tried it. The only thing I like about MG's STAR TREK scores is the main theme thingie.

Of scores in the last ten years or so it is the theme I never tire of. I think it's excellent.

As much as I respect your views and opinions Thor I really can't get my head around why you dislike Giacchino ( or Desplat ) so much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Gremlins 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

A treasure trove of sound gags. I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Of scores in the last ten years or so it is the theme I never tire of. I think it's excellent.

As much as I respect your views and opinions Thor I really can't get my head around why you dislike Giacchino ( or Desplat ) so much.

Well, I've gone into some detail about it both in this thread and elsewhere over the years. There are a number of reasons in both cases. Sometimes, you encounter a composer whose music is almost biologically adverse to your own preference (as if it's grinding on bits of your brain).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Either you like a composer's music or you don't. There are some popular composers who generally don't speak to me, like Lalo Schifrin or Jerry Fielding. No big deal. I can appreciate they are good composers though.

Volker
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Either you like a composer's music or you don't. There are some popular composers who generally don't speak to me, like Lalo Schifrin or Jerry Fielding. No big deal. I can appreciate they are good composers though.

Volker

And that's where you and Thor differ.
  5. The Lost World Williams

The new expanded release, it's stunning. So much fascinating new music and it sounds incredible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Either you like a composer's music or you don't. There are some popular composers who generally don't speak to me, like Lalo Schifrin or Jerry Fielding. No big deal. I can appreciate they are good composers though.

Volker

And that's where you and Thor differ.

Not really. I can recognize talent without being particularly drawn to the music. But that's a different topic altogether. Also, I always have an open door in case that one score gets through that I like, even from a composer I generally dislike. So that attitude is all good and dandy; that doesn't mean one "should" like someone just because a lot of other people do.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Star Trek Beyond (2016) - Michael Giacchino
    The Deluxe Edition.

This is more of a collector's item for me really, obtained chiefly to keep the Trek score collection complete. Generally I am well pleased with the single disc release.
    I have selected all those cues not present on the original release. They amount to 70 min of music. I want to find out if there is a cue that I want on my music player. So far, everything I hear is fine but is in some form or other already contained in the original release. The suite arrangements of Jaylah's Theme and the Yorktown Theme are great anyway.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I do like those suite arrangements, but the whole thing is of course much too long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, and let me say - the suite arrangements should have been on the original album. Completely cynical that they weren't, it seems to me.
  7. My thought exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Inferno - Hans Zimmer

What the vest and pants is this?

Ha, ha...I know what you mean. Just sampled it. NOT very good, although I like it when it TRIES to settle into a groove, CHAPPIE-style. I have nothing against the all-electronic approach (quite the contrary), but some of the abstract suspense music is really rather grating.

Late to the party: seen the awful film, heard the awful score outside and inside the movie too. Boy is Zimmer confused lately or what? i think hanging out the the junkie crew and the rappers gave him a mid-life crisis - turned - to - crazy - teenager phase he's currently going through. Hope he zones out of it soon, Interstellar for instance, was incredibly good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Southall wrote
    Oh, and let me say - the suite arrangements should have been on the original album. Completely cynical that they weren't, it seems to me.

I would have left out some of the later suspense cues in favor of them, for sure. I doubt I'll ever feel the urge to hear "Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free" again.

The Deluxe Edition is okay but it pretty much reaffirms how I felt while watching the film, that there isn't a great deal of unreleased music of note and even the original album was too long for what it contained.
  8. Josh B wrote
    Southall wrote

I would have left out some of the later suspense cues in favor of them, for sure.

I did just that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

A stunner. My favourite Christmas score.
  9. Finished writing a review of the "Superman: The Animated Series" set from La La Land Records, then when I left the house I put in a classic: the Charlie Brown Christmas score/songs disc.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Southall wrote

Just like they weren't on the album for Star Trek Into Darkness. I must say I am very much not a fan of how these releases have been handled, with the knowledge of the impending Deluxe always at the back of the producers' minds it seems.
  11. Just played: Out Of Africa (1985) - John Barry

The film aired on TV hereabouts yesterday and my mother was so taken with the music that I obtained and downloaded sheet music for her this morning so that she could play the theme on the piano.
    This afternoon I played the McNeely re-recording that I prefer to the original CD for better sound and better aesthetic cohesion.
    It's a magnificent score.

Volker
  12. The Ten Commandments Bernstein

The new Intrada, what a great xmas present! This really is a monumental release, it sounds incredible and the packaging is beautiful. The liner notes are great too from what I've dipped into. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into this over the next week!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2016
    Planet Earth - George Fenton

While this entire collection is extremely good, I've always been deeply moved by the tragic tones of the last minute of "The Earth's Highest Challenge."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PETE'S DRAGON | daniel hart

After seeing Thomas's review, I decided to give this one a go. Fine little score indeed! Adventurous, catchy main theme, not too long either. Just down to earth and a pleasure to listen to. I don't know if this one was mentioned before but to me it came by surprise.
    Kazoo
  13. I REALLY like that score. It's one of the year's best, imo.
  14. Harry Gregson-Williams - The Martian

Since my brother moved to Germany recently and the soundtrack in its Deluxe CD form (no worries Thor, it's simply the score album and the song album bundled into one package) wasn't released here, that's what I got for this year's Christmas from him.

First time in lossless quality (I listened to it by means of Spotify, and reviewed it through Spotify, as I tend to do recently), I stand by my opinion that it is one of the composer's very best scores. I like the pensive quality of it. A, you know, kind of more "spiritual" approach to outer space and, generally, scientific discovery and use of science (also shown in Gravity and Interstellar). While the films themselves emphasize the physical and scientific, the scores add a more reflective, sometimes even metaphysical, if not slightly mystical, approach to outer space. It compliments the films beautifully, as that aspect makes the stories much more personal. It's much more relevant in case of Gravity and The Martian than in case of Interstellar, because there is more of subtext in the story, but still it's a beautiful approach, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Since my brother moved to Germany recently and the soundtrack in its Deluxe CD form (no worries Thor, it's simply the score album and the song album bundled into one package)

Phew.... wink

I like the score, and I think the film is quite good as well (although I have some issues with the comedy), but it's not my favourite HGW. I've always been critical of this composer, but in later years I've discovered some more positive sides. I've come to adore KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, for example, I dig CHICKEN RUN (although I don't know what's Powell and what's HGW) and his "Life" theme is still the best thing with the PROMETHEUS score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016
    Assassin's Creed Jed Kurzel

The things I do to write reviews... this is torture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016
    Doctor Strange Michael Giacchino

It's a great time to be a Giacchino fan. A very close second for favourite themes of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2016
    It is indeed. I've edited a Star Trek Beyond album from the deluxe (which is the original album less the two boring tracks near the end, plus the Jaylah and Yorktown themes) and it's great, I'd forgotten how good.