• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MORIBITO: GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT (Naoki Sato)

Fantastic score, in my runner-ups this year.

You have runner ups already? Impressive.

Damn, my brain hasn't adjusted to the new year yet!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017 edited
    Joep wrote
    Thor wrote
    Agreed. It's definitely MUCH too long. I say there's a smokin' good 45-50 minute album in there so

The cd release ´corrects´ that

Good. Since I noticed the digital release is longer than a physical CD can handle, I was looking for a CD tracklist to inform me on a better playlist, but couldn't find any? So how do you know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017 edited
    Joep actually worked on the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017
    Warcraft - Ramin Djawadi

Mediocre, but it has at least one good highlight cue that ranks among the best things he has ever done. Honor is the best cue in here. That one and the Main Title will be the only two tracks I am keeping from this one.
  1. NP: Babylon 5 (1995) - Christopher Franke

Superb.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017 edited
    THE BIG SHORT | nicholas britell

Little score with some amusing tracks, all very short pieces. It's a quircky mix of jazz and pop band music, electronic music, percussion, often low key and building up towards the finale. It also includes a 'mouse click and other computer sounds' symphony.

But the highlight, and one of my favourite tracks of the year, is the last one, The Big Short Piano Suite. An 11 minute piano solo piece, quite dramatic and very different from the score that went before it. The melody that the suite is built around has been hinted a few times in the score but gets the full treatment in this finale. Worth checking out!
    Kazoo
  2. NP: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino

Listening to my "1997 Special Edition 2CD Edition" version of the score combining cues from the album and FYC discs and putting suites at the beginnings of the discs to create a playlist that feels wonderfully like one of the old original trilogy releases. You also get the extra Chris Bacon joke at the end instead of randomly and annoyingly titled "Hope" track name. Sorry the following is so long, if I knew how to put it in an expanding box with a plus sign I would... wink

1.01 - Jyn Erso & Hope Suite (5:52)
    1.02 - He's Here For Us (3:20)
    1.03 - A Long Ride Ahead (3:56)
    1.04 - Wobani Imperial Labor Camp (0:55)
    1.05 - Trust Goes Both Ways (2:45)
    1.06 - When Has Become Now (1:59)
    1.07 - Jedha Arrival (2:48)
    1.08 - Hearts Of Kyber (0:58)
    1.09 - Jedha City Ambush (2:19)
    1.10 - Today Of All Days (3:35)
    1.11 - Star-Dust (3:47)
    1.12 - An Imperial Test Of Power (2:50)
    1.13 - Approach to Eadu (1:20)
    1.14 - No Trust Among Rebels (2:02)
    1.15 - Jyns Pathis Clear (2:32)
    1.16 - Confrontation on Eadu (8:06)
    ----------------------------------------------
    2.01 - Guardians of the Whills Suite (2:53)
    2.02 - The Imperial Suite (2:30)
    2.03 - Krennic's Aspirations (4:16)
    2.04 - Rebellions Are Built on Hope (2:56)
    2.05 - Rogue One (2:05)
    2.06 - Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 (4:00)
    2.07 - Good Luck Little Sister (2:49)
    2.08 - Are We Blind ? (1:34)
    2.09 - Scrambling the Rebel Fleet (1:33)
    2.10 - AT-ACT Assault (2:55)
    2.11 - Project Stardust (3:46)
    2.12 - Entering the Imperial Archives (1:25)
    2.13 - Get That Beach Under Control (1:14)
    2.14 - The Master Switch (4:03)
    2.15 - We Have To Press The Attack (2:40)
    2.16 - Your Father Would Be Proud (4:52)
    2.17 - Live And Let Jedi & Hope For End Credits (9:23)
  3. Impressive. I'm sure Thor would LOVE that!

Speaking of things, Thor loves...

NP: DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS - Junkie XL

I'm generally not a fan of electronic music or Junkie XL. This is doing absolutely nothing to change my opinion. I find it completely engaging at best, and grating and mind-numbing at worst. If this is an example of one of the better things he's written, then I really don't need to explore these types of scores from him in the future. Not my thing. at. all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017
    Sorry to hear it. It's my number 5 score of the year, and I haven't even seen the movie. The track "Jaws" gives me goosebumps galore, but it's only one out of several highlights here.

Of course, it helps if you're a fan of electronic music to begin with.

I think the upcoming BRIMSTONE might be more up your alley.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of great electronic music...

NP: HALT AND CATCH FIRE (Paul Haslinger)

I dig this score! One of the best TV scores last year; Haslinger finally dips into his TD sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Thor wrote
    Sorry to hear it. It's my number 5 score of the year, and I haven't even seen the movie. The track "Jaws" gives me goosebumps galore, but it's only one out of several highlights here.

I know. I listened to your show, and the track you included was okay, so I thought I'd try to branch out and try something new. Was "Jaws" the track you included in your show?

Thor wrote
    Of course, it helps if you're a fan of electronic music to begin with.

Indeed.

Thor wrote
    I think the upcoming BRIMSTONE might be more up your alley.

I'm sure it will. I look forward to hearing that one. It's still not on Spotify in the US.

NP - AKAGAMI NO SHIRAYUKIHIME / Snow White with the Red Hair - Michiru Oshima

Now this is my thing. This is lovely. I haven't listened through all of it yet, but what I've heard is very nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I played "Jaws" in my show (thanks for listening, btw, even if several of my choices MUST have gone against your own preference!).

Weird that BRIMSTONE isn't available in the US yet. Don't know why.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: The Hunger Games Saga - James Newton Howard

Compiled from the original albums using the playlist of the Silva Screen re-recording.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I played "Jaws" in my show (thanks for listening, btw, even if several of my choices MUST have gone against your own preference!).

Some did, yes, though they were interspersed among several orchestral tracks that I liked very much, so the show had a nice variety. Besides, I knew what I was going to get by listening to a show featuring your favorite music of the year, so I was prepared smile

edit: I really enjoyed the show, by the way. I love these year-end round up things.
  5. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino

Listening to my "1997 Special Edition 2CD Edition" version of the score combining cues from the album and FYC discs and putting suites at the beginnings of the discs to create a playlist that feels wonderfully like one of the old original trilogy releases. You also get the extra Chris Bacon joke at the end instead of randomly and annoyingly titled "Hope" track name. Sorry the following is so long, if I knew how to put it in an expanding box with a plus sign I would... wink
    (...)

I'll eventually listen to this "maximum playlist". I have to say though that I think the album is a well assembled. In the case of "The Force Awakens" I didn't revisit the extra material all to often.

:)Volker
  6. The Son of Kong Steiner

What a great, fun, short listen. I usually reach for the original score but I really should listen to this more often, haven't listened to it in years.
  7. The Golden Child Barry

Another really fun score I haven't listened to in far too long.
  8. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Horner

I usually grab 'Star Trek III: The search for Spock' as I prefer it of the two Horner scores but this really is tremendous, should listen to this much more often too!
  9. Seven - Howard Shore

A grim, mean, bristling little score. Not Howard Shore's greatest perhaps, but Howard Shore at his dark best. I keep coming back to the Howe Records re-release. And I haven't tired of it.
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino

(...)

I'll eventually listen to this "maximum playlist". I have to say though that I think the album is a well assembled. In the case of "The Force Awakens" I didn't revisit the extra material all to often.

:)Volker

If have taken the opposite approach now and listened only to those cues not contained in the official album. While this is a expertly crafted music, most of the additional material seems redundant or rather anonymous. Nice to have these cues but I'll stick with the commercial album. smile
  11. Captain Future wrote
    If have take the opposite approach now and listened only to those cues not contained in the official album. While this is a expertly crafted music, most of the additional material seems redundant or rather anonymous. Nice to have this cues but I'll stick with the commercial album. smile

Outside of some portions of the action cues for the final reel, I agree about the additional material. But I would say the same about some of the extra material in the original trilogy, and yet its still enjoyable for me to have a long album like this on as background music, since it allows a certain ebb and flow in attention-grabbing-ness so that I can get other mental tasks done more efficiently during the less engaging parts. When an album is as good as the Rogue One official album is, it's so demanding of focus that it can be difficult to do anything but listen in awe and wonder and excitement, and/or whatever other emotions the music might be generating...
  12. Georges Delerue - Agnes of God

Lovely score. So grateful Varese re-released it, so I could finally have it on CD. (The old master is on Spotify).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Georges Delerue - Agnes of God

Lovely score. So grateful Varese re-released it, so I could finally have it on CD. (The old master is on Spotify).

One of my favourites. Utterly gorgeous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Georges Delerue - Agnes of God

One of my favourites. Utterly gorgeous.

I used to dig this score and I still do when in the right mood. Mostly though this tends to be too saccharine nowadays for my taste. Overblown melodrama really.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't think it's saccharine at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. I probably need to see the film. I never did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Po - Burt Bacharach

Pleasant. Very slight.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017
    Captain Future wrote

If have taken the opposite approach now and listened only to those cues not contained in the official album. While this is a expertly crafted music, most of the additional material seems redundant or rather anonymous. Nice to have these cues but I'll stick with the commercial album. smile

Yeah, that's a problem I have with most score expansions (especially modern ones). Material is often left off the original album for a reason.
  15. Well, as often stated I am a fan of C and sometimes C&C releases. I find however that very few scores carry over more than one CD. At 75 minutes the original album is already of a generous duration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I don't think it's saccharine at all.

Nor overblown, nor melodramatic for that matter.

The film is quite good as well, though the painful topic is not extremely relevant any more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn