• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017

So...after listening to it for a little while, it does't seem like there's much going on with this score. I enjoy the new Star Trek theme, but haven't invested in any of the film scores yet. Is there a favorite around here? Is Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness or Star Trek Beyond the best?

I prefer the 2009 Star Trek. But honestly, I'd seek out the original soundtracks of all three scores first. The expansions have a lot of flab.
  1. NP: Planet of the Apes - Jerry Goldsmith

This recent re-recording from John O'Callaghan is a weird beast. It's a combination of Emil Richards' original percussion instruments used in the score and orchestral samples - and some of it works and some of it doesn't.

And this gives the effort a double-sided personality. When the cues are percussion-heavy then O'Callaghan's efforts really pay off, but when the score relies on anything remotely orchestral...well it sounds a bit cheap. Strings, woodwinds and brass all sound so synthetic for the most part and they only really work well when the cues are action cues and the pace of the music hides the failings of the samples. And there's just no presence of force in the orchestral portions: it all sounds a bit thin and insipid. Which is a shame.

Overall it sounds like what a mock-up of the score would have sounded if Goldsmith had had access to orchestral sampling techniques. Does it work overall? I'm afraid not. I applaud the effort but I am not really sure what the objective of the whole effort is. Is it to recreate the score using the improved recording techniques of today? Or to give a new interpretation of the Goldsmith's score? It falls in between achieving either objective.

There's also a book to accompany the CD - 'Simians & Serialism' (written by O'Callaghan) - which looks to be an excellent piece of work. I would imagine that doing both CD and book gave O'Callaghan some level of insight into both projects. When I read the book I will probably refer to the original CD (I have the Varese release).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    It's been awhile. I just wanted to say hello!

Cailin! That IS a VERY long time ago!
    Several of the old-timers are still here, some new blood joined as well. So, y'know, life goes on and all that.
    Hope you are doing well? What's been going on? Is your interest in film music suddenly rekindled?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Enter The Dragon - Lalo Schifrin

One of those themes that you hear and it just sticks with you. Lots of Oriental flourishes mixed in with Schifrin's catchy 70s swagger.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote

Cailin! That IS a VERY long time ago!
    Several of the old-timers are still here, some new blood joined as well. So, y'know, life goes on and all that.
    Hope you are doing well? What's been going on? Is your interest in film music suddenly rekindled?

Thanks Martijn! I was very happy to see some of you still here! I'm doing fine. I've moved since I last logged on here and have been doing some entrepreneurial stuff. Honestly, I left the Maintitles forum because I felt like it was making me too greedy. I financially couldn't keep up with all the new scores and felt like I couldn't contribute much new either. I felt like it wasn't healthy for me - so I took a very long break apparently. But recently I started up an Etsy shop that allows me to be creative and make some fun money (i.e. soundtrack money) that I can use toward purchasing new film scores. Depending on how I do in my shop, I will choose one new score a month. This way, I won't go too crazy and it will be fun to contribute to the conversation around the newer stuff that's coming out. I'll tread lightly though and see how I do. smile Thanks for asking!

NP: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I waited a long time to get this one. It's moody and emotional, somewhat eerie - and I love it. The perfect morning music on a snowy day for making breakfast.
  4. NP: Field of Lost Shoes (2014) - Frederik Wiedmann

Revisiting this score makes me wonder why Wiedmann hasn't become a film music star by now.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017 edited
    LA LA LAND | justin hurwitz

Such enthusiast music. The two main themes are absolutely great, and especially the Another Day of Sun is so catchy. Sticks to my brain! It isn't the pompous music like Moulin Rouge, but it's defenitely as energetic and wild. Epilogue is one of the tracks of 2017.
    Kazoo
  5. The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

It can only be played loud. I imagine my neighbors look something like this right now: crazy
  6. NP: The Never Ending Story (1984) - Klaus Doldinger

One of the first scores that made me aware of film music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Never Ending Story (1984) - Klaus Doldinger

One of the first scores that made me aware of film music.

Volker

Same here. Although I didn't get the soundtrack untill years later. But I do remember watching this in the mid 80s, on a copied VHS at some my parents' friends' house and being enthralled by the music -- long before I had any particular interest in or even awareness of film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

It can only be played loud. I imagine my neighbors look something like this right now: crazy

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anyone know what the funky piece that starts at 3.35 is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ga6EnT9ko

From some Blaxploitation 70's score I'm guessing, Isaac Hayes maybe?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Anyone know what the funky piece that starts at 3.35 is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ga6EnT9ko

From some Blaxploitation 70's score I'm guessing, Isaac Hayes maybe?

No worries, someone at FSM helped me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hOtjzb6WM

It's actually from Hayes score to THREE TOUGH GUYS, I have it on lp but haven't heard it in years.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. LE TEMPS D'ANNA - Bartosz Chajdecki

This is just lovely. It's my favorite score from Chajdecki so far.
  8. NP: Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - Bronislau Kaper

The last hurray of Golden Age film scoring. The awesome FSM edition.

Volker
  9. I played FANTASTIC BEASTS on the way to work this morning. A snow storm made the bus ride an hour-and-a-half longer than normal. I used the time to read Jon Broxton's review of the score while listening. Until this morning I had a hard time enjoying the score because it was hard for me to identify and recognize all the themes. Jon does a great job locating those in his review. That score has just been greatly elevated in my esteem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2017 edited
    Moonlight Nicholas Britell

Not without its moments I suppose, but mostly chronically boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2017
    Lion Dustin O'Halloran & someone else

Fairly pretty in places but very bland.
  10. Doing the Oscar circuit, I see? Poor man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2017
  11. But...but that means you've missed out on the sheer genius that is Mica Levi! cry
  12. Just finished Jerome Leroy's thoroughly beautiful score to AFTER EVER AFTER. If you like your gorgeous piano and violin solos full of beautiful melancholy, this score is for you. It is just lovely.
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But...but that means you've missed out on the sheer genius that is Mica Levi! cry

Having just actually heard Jackie, what is wrong with Levi's score? Sure it's no masterpiece (without the film and on first listen anyway, but I can't see myself seeing my three-star rating going way higher than it did), but why being so sarcastic about it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  14. Because a lot of people are claiming that it is a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's certainly no masterpiece. On album, it sounds like slowed-down Bernard Herrmann (the 'irritating' side of Herrmann's music). I got more out of UNDER THE SKIN. But as with that film, the score got a whole other life in the movie. I'm hoping something similar will happen when I see it in a couple of weeks.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: Le Colonne Sonore Originali dei film di Sergio Leone - Ennio Morricone

Molto bene. Musica per l'eternità.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MUSIC OF JOHN BARRY: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (John Barry)

How infectious isn't that "Hit and Miss" from JUKE BOX JURY? This is my own playlist of the best tracks on the compilation -- 13 tracks, 54 minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. christopher wrote
    I played FANTASTIC BEASTS on the way to work this morning. A snow storm made the bus ride an hour-and-a-half longer than normal. I used the time to read Jon Broxton's review of the score while listening. Until this morning I had a hard time enjoying the score because it was hard for me to identify and recognize all the themes. Jon does a great job locating those in his review. That score has just been greatly elevated in my esteem.

Very neat Christopher. I'll have to check out that review. I've really been enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts score too. Fantasy (and animation as well) are my absolute favorite film genres for James Newton Howard. He seems to really seem refreshed by them.
  17. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Fantasy (and animation as well) are my absolute favorite film genres for James Newton Howard. He seems to really seem refreshed by them.

Agreed. I think the fantasy and animation are genres that generally lend themselves to more spectacular music in generally, but I think JNH is particularly great when he gets to work in those genres.

I just gave 1916: THE IRISH REBELLION by Patrick Cassidy a second listen. I had enjoyed it after one listen, but I must not have been paying close attention that first time, because two listens has revealed this score to be one of the most repetitive I've ever heard. The themes are nice, but you get them over and over and over with very little variation in nearly every track. It only took a handful of cues for it to get old.

NP - THE TIGER: AN OLD HUNTER'S TALE - Jo Yeong-Wook and the Soundtrack Kings

I REALLY like this score. I'm pretty surprised it's not more talked about. I've seen a lot of people talking about THE HANDMAIDEN, but this score is much stronger, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017
    The Rock Zimmer and Co.

One of my favourite scores, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Well, maybe a little. Otherwise I wouldn't have to say I'm not ashamed to admit it. But fuck you, it's great.