• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    BATMAN hasn't sounded like Elfman since the 90s, up to and including the Goldenthals (which are just as much Goldenthal as Elfman). Even the GOTHAM TV series is more Zimmer than Elfman. So I'm not surprised it's gone out of fashion for newer incarnations of the superhero.

Well yeah, but Balfe's score references the Hefti stuff from the 60s, so I figured Elfman would be at least a bit more relevant than that. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also I'm fairly sure the orchestra is sampled. That shouldn't really happen on a film of this budget, should it? slant

its not sampled (at least not the whole thing) and actually christopher gordon conducted the orchestra.

https://www.facebook.com/trackdowndigit … permPage=1
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE (Vangelis)

Hadn't played this in years. Pure genius from start to finish.

Wonderful score. How is the film viewed? Considering the man was a **nt and as I remember it wasn't hot on historical accuracy.

Thankfully, the film is getting the credit it deserves these days. Historical accuracy or not; it's one of the most gorgeous films Scott has ever made, and that says a lot coming from him.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Much like Alexander which is much better than it is given credit for ... And which was directed by Oliver Stone. I tend to get these two fellows mixed up. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ALEXANDER is a masterpiece -- especially in its extended form (well, there are several, but you know what I mean).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Best of Elmer Bernstein

This one's by Elmer Bernstein, my own private collection. I'm happy to write a haiku describing the flow of the album if you'd like.

Anyway, while listening to To Kill a Mockingbird my mind was drawn to the recent discussion about the most-recorded film scores. Bernstein recorded this one, in full, no fewer than four times - original soundtrack, Ava Records in the 60s, his Film Music Collection in the 70s and then for Varese in the 90s. God knows what he was doing in the 80s, the lazy git.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Best of Elmer Bernstein

This one's by Elmer Bernstein, my own private collection. I'm happy to write a haiku describing the flow of the album if you'd like.

Anyway, while listening to To Kill a Mockingbird my mind was drawn to the recent discussion about the most-recorded film scores. Bernstein recorded this one, in full, no fewer than four times - original soundtrack, Ava Records in the 60s, his Film Music Collection in the 70s and then for Varese in the 90s. God knows what he was doing in the 80s, the lazy git.

We're still missing the original score -- as featured in the film, and with piano solos by John Williams. But that's OK. I'm content with my Varese rerecording from the 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE (Vangelis)

Hadn't played this in years. Pure genius from start to finish.

Wonderful score. How is the film viewed? Considering the man was a **nt and as I remember it wasn't hot on historical accuracy.

Thankfully, the film is getting the credit it deserves these days. Historical accuracy or not; it's one of the most gorgeous films Scott has ever made

Historical accuracy NOT. It is a gorgeous to watch film though. As to "credit it deserves" well, that's the first I've heard of any, the factual history of Columbus has overshadowed any credit this portrayal deserved and quite rightly so, Scott made a cowardly film.

The other Columbus film from the same year was historical pants too but both had superb scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    ALEXANDER is a masterpiece -- especially in its extended form (well, there are several, but you know what I mean).

geeezus! No it isn't, it's fooking boring and badly cast.

Nearly no one thinks it's a masterpiece.

From what is known it is more historically accurate. Kudos for that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2017
    Well, I'm more interested in interesting filmatic angles than historical accuracy for most of these things. If I want historical accuracy, I'll most likely watch documentaries instead. ALEXANDER is one giant bag of sweets - lush, larger-than-life and deliciously over-the-top!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lars wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also I'm fairly sure the orchestra is sampled. That shouldn't really happen on a film of this budget, should it? slant

its not sampled (at least not the whole thing) and actually christopher gordon conducted the orchestra.

https://www.facebook.com/trackdowndigit … permPage=1

How... random. But then it's the sort of score that having samples wouldn't have made much difference.
  3. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Best of Elmer Bernstein

We're still missing the original score -- as featured in the film, and with piano solos by John Williams. But that's OK. I'm content with my Varese rerecording from the 90s.

Yes, part of me would love to get the original tracks purely for the novelty of having John Williams as the soloist on such a historic and brilliant score but I have the other 3 recordings which are all great so I'm fine without it. I believe the AVA collection recording is the closest in terms of enesemble size and performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Williams was pianist on quite a few HUGE films in the 50s and 60s -- I'd love to have them ALL released in original format (mostly for curiousity and archival value, as you say). But for most of these, they did separate soundtrack recordings which -- listening experience-wise -- were often superior, and Williams wasn't always part of that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACHELOR FLAT (John Williams)

Speaking of early Williams, I've now started going through all his film scores from start to finish. I only had individual "audio rip" tracks from the first few -- DADDY-O, BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG and I PASSED FOR WHITE, as well as a complete audio rip "album" of THE SECRET WAYS, but now I'm onto this first, PROPER album. I'm guessing the whole walkthrough should take me a few weeks.....

(btw, the "Mambone" sequence in this film -- both film and score-wise -- is so adorable, it's to die for).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Found Bachelor Flat on Spotify. Listening to it now and it is adorable! A bit chaotic sometimes but yes that sounds like him indeed! Must be the oldest Williams music I've ever heard.
    Kazoo
  4. Onna Joshu Naotora - Yoko Kanno

In a word... WOW!!! punk punk punk

Guys, press stop on whatever you're listening to and switch over to this. It's incredible. Barely a month into the new year and I've already found a score that's better than anything I heard in 2016. This is the latest NHK Taiga Drama score. They're almost always really good, remember Yugo Kanno's Gunshi Kanbee from a couple years ago? Well this one might even top it.

Usually the problem with (Yoko) Kanno is that she throws a zillion styles at you all at the same time. Not so with this one - other than a couple of source-like vocal moments, it's pure enormous orchestral writing from beginning to end in an authentically Golden Age late-romantic way: lush strings, bold fanfares, constant melody, beautiful solos for piano and violin and cello...it's so good guys. The last five tracks are particularly strong. Martijn, Erik, I think you in particular will love this!

You can stream it for free here, so you have NO EXCUSE not to listen to this now! GO!

punk punk punk
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: BACHELOR FLAT (John Williams)

Speaking of early Williams, I've now started going through all his film scores from start to finish. I only had individual "audio rip" tracks from the first few -- DADDY-O, BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG and I PASSED FOR WHITE, as well as a complete audio rip "album" of THE SECRET WAYS, but now I'm onto this first, PROPER album. I'm guessing the whole walkthrough should take me a few weeks.....

(btw, the "Mambone" sequence in this film -- both film and score-wise -- is so adorable, it's to die for).

The earliest Williams I have in my collection is How to Steal a Million.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Found Bachelor Flat on Spotify. Listening to it now and it is adorable! A bit chaotic sometimes but yes that sounds like him indeed! Must be the oldest Williams music I've ever heard.

Certainly not my favourite of his earlier period, although it has its charming moments. I'm impressed it's on Spotify.

Although HOW TO STEAL A MILLION is more famous, my favourite JW "pop/jazz" comedy soundtrack from the 60s is unquestionably NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T. I'll be glad to post a playlist suggestion of the best tracks of this early period; tracks with lots of crossover appeal. In fact, I have one in my iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Onna Joshu Naotora - Yoko Kanno

Guys, press stop on whatever you're listening to and switch over to this. It's incredible. Barely a month into the new year and I've already found a score that's better than anything I heard in 2016. This is the latest NHK Taiga Drama score. They're almost always really good, remember Yugo Kanno's Gunshi Kanbee from a couple years ago? Well this one might even top it.

Erik recommended this elsewhere, and I'm looking forward to sampling it. Loved GUNSHI KANBEE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'm impressed it's on Spotify.

Yes you do get the odd surprise, sometimes a 'where the hell did they source that?' Recent ones for me being Ron Goodwin's Day of The Triffids and Vaughan Williams Scott of The Antarctic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JOHN GOLDFARB, PLEASE COME HOME (John Williams)

God, this is so terrible -- the worst thing he's ever done. I'm gonna see if I'll be able to get through all 75 minutes this time. I doubt it, though. I never have.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. xXx: Return of Xander Cage (Brian Tyler)

What an irritating album. At least 40 minutes too long, barely holding something interesting, not even a theme I like. 70 minutes of thumping music that basically sounds the same. Bah one of Tyler's weakest scores.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote

Usually the problem with (Yoko) Kanno is that she throws a zillion styles at you all at the same time. Not so with this one - other than a couple of source-like vocal moments, it's pure enormous orchestral writing from beginning to end in an authentically Golden Age late-romantic way: lush strings, bold fanfares, constant melody, beautiful solos for piano and violin and cello...it's so good guys. The last five tracks are particularly strong. Martijn, Erik, I think you in particular will love this!

You can stream it for free here, so you have NO EXCUSE not to listen to this now! GO!

punk punk punk

I already heard it, apart from the change in the middle I didn't fully admire, it's a truly wonderful soundtrack experience. One of the best I heard recently.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Yeah, there's the odd moment in there I don't like. The flute-only track, the weird sourcey one with the vocals (luckily it's short). And the track with the child vocalist that sounds like Nausicaä is a bit off-putting at first - but that one develops into a wonderful piece after a couple of minutes. And the rest is just gold. smile
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote

punk punk punk

This is indeed a very strong score. It will have to be a very good year for film music for this one not to end up in my top ten.
  10. NP: The Piano (1993) - Michael Nyman

Hauntingly beautiful. Also the film is a great character drama.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Piano (1993) - Michael Nyman

Hauntingly beautiful. Also the film is a great character drama.

Volker

Hardly controversial statements. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Just finished sampling cues from a planetarium show called "Passport to the Universe" (Stephen Endelman).

I can see this being a one star review on Southall's site. If you like mediocre aimless music with sound design mixed in, then this would still be a waste of your time. Unless you're Thor.

Avoid.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. The Haunting Goldsmith

Haven't listened to this in years, had forgotten just how good it is, a great short listen full of gorgeous themes and brilliant orchestration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017
    Onna Joshu Naotora Yoko Kanno

This sort of Japanese, Hisaishi-like music is very pretty, very impressive and makes for a very charming album, but it doesn't put me in the middle of the action. More of a wonderful symphony than an intriguing score. It's unlikely something I'll return to very often. But... don't get me wrong. This is very good.