• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Onna Joshu Naotora Yoko Kanno
    More of a wonderful symphony than an intriguing score.

I agree with you, it sounds like a concert work but that's no bad thing from a listening perspective. Some lovely fanfares and orchestral flourishes, good "old fashioned" orchestral music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. True, there's not much of a narrative and only a few infrequently recurring melodies that I could make out. That might be because it's from a TV show rather than a film, though. Also I've found (sweeping generalization incoming) that Asian scores tend to not be as narratively driven as Western ones. There's more of an emphasis on individual set pieces. Makes for wonderful listening, though!
  2. Night Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

Embarrassed to admit I'd never heard this until recently!
    And it is wonderful to hear Goldsmith in this mode. It's like Capricorn One meets Hoosiers.
  3. I've been listening to some new stuff this morning:

THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE - Lorne Balfe

There are some fun moments in this score, and I can see why people would like it, but it's mostly just noise to me. It sounds like another John Powell impression a lot of the time, but without a memorable melody. Not for me.

A DOG'S PURPOSE - Rachel Portman

Pleasant and inoffensive. Solidly in her comfort zone. Not terribly memorable.

VALKYRIA AZURE REVOLUTION - Yasunori Mitsuda

Some good moments. Most of it went by me without making an impression. It all sounds pretty samey by the end of 39 tracks.

THE BOOK OF LOVE - Justin Timberlake and Mitchell Owens

I'm in the middle of this one now. It's surprising to see Timberlake write an orchestral film score. The music creates a general atmosphere of there-ness, and that's about it. It's pretty light on substance (significantly lighter than Portman's above-mentioned score, and I didn't think that one was very substantive).
  4. By Request... The Best of John Williams Williams

What better way to celebrate the Maestro's 85th birthday than listening to him conduct some brilliant performances of this joyous music, love this album!
  5. So do I. I remember my jubilant feelings when - in pre-internet days - I discovered this album in a store specialized in classical music. To think such places really existed ...

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of all the John Williams compilations out there, that belongs to the handful of must-haves.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I just listened to that album myself. It took until the very end before I realized that it was all pre-90s Williams. Wonderful music.
  6. NP: By Request... The Best of John Williams

The marches assembled on this album let Williams become another John Philip Sousa.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lego Batman Movie Lorne Balfe

I know you're not supposed to, but I love this. It's just... Fun. Looks like the best Batman movie since The Dark Knight too.
  7. James Newton Howard - Unbreakable

Ah, revisiting an old friend. Stand by for my John Williams score of choice. Won't be the usual.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - Unbreakable

Ah, revisiting an old friend. Stand by for my John Williams score of choice. Won't be the usual.

HEARTBEEPS? :D
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Fiddler on the Roof! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    GIDGET GOES TO ROME?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. John Williams - Black Sunday

Anyone expected me to pull this out? wink

I actually like this score a lot. I got rid of the extras for this listen, just the unadulterated score from the film.

I find Williams' output in 1977 to be quite symbolic of how it was a turning point in Hollywood's aesthetic. If you look at the films he scored and what the scores were like, it would explain quite a lot. Sure, Jaws was the big blockbuster, but 1977 is, I think, the turning point.

The major Williams projects (one unreleased at the time, though Williams actually expected it would get an album back in the day) were this one, Star Wars and Close Encounters. And this marks a slow turn from the socially charged 1970s (though that started in late 60s with, for example, Bullitt) to the New Adventure Cinema which would make its biggest after that.

Black Sunday, and its score, is a conspiracy thriller, very much in the vein of the gritty, urban, political thrillers of its time. The perfectly structured score (it's John Williams, what else would you expect?!) aims at getting the tension, is quite heavily dissonant, uses the typical conspiracy/preparation element that would return only, actually in Home Alone and... The Force Awakens of all things (the Resistance theme has all the markings of being a John Williams conspirator march), culminating in the Preparations cue, which was, if I understand correctly, popularly bootlegged and really sought-after.

Close Encounters is the literal turning point. Starting out quite low-key as a horror score, that element culminating in the fantastic abduction scene, then the conspiracy material for the military, emphasizing what in Spielberg's own words was supposed to be "Aliens meet Watergate". Again, a conspiracy thriller, though due to the alien angle, not as socially relevant as Black Sunday, turning into the adventurous/romantic climax of the film and score, which has been talked about quite enough.

And Star Wars is another story smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BLACK SUNDAY is a good score, completely overshadowed by the two other scores that year. The film less so, even though I admire its ambition. It was great to finally have the score out on FSM, after having had to contend with the Silva suite for many years. The preparations fugue is unquestionably the highlight, but loads of grit and dissonance in the 70s style, as you say.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Fury

The Epilogue is one of his greatest individual cues, I think. And that's saying something.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017
    Southall wrote
    The Fury

The Epilogue is one of his greatest individual cues, I think. And that's saying something.

The whole score is brilliant, though it's nearly always the rerecording I listen to. DePalma, I believe, felt Williams was foisted upon him and felt his usual collaborator Pino Donaggio would have provided a better score. ( Anyone have the full rundown on this story? )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury

The whole score is brilliant, though it's nearly always the rerecording I listen to. DePalma, I believe, felt Williams was foisted upon him and felt his usual collaborator Pino Donaggio would have provided a better score. ( Anyone have the full rundown on this story? )

Must be an old story, or an urban legend. In the brilliant documentary DE PALMA, released last year, the director is very critical of the film, but mentions Williams' score as the only good thing about it.

Fantastic score, of course. Like Timmer, I never play the film score, only the rerecording -- even though I do own the 2CD set.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I listened to the film score once. Fine of course, but the re-recording is perfect.
  10. NP: Veeram: Macbeth - Jeff Rona

Not particularly memorable. Occasionally the action scoring get my attention but it's mostly a by-the-numbers action score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: The Bye Bye Man - The Newton Brothers

This is coma-inducing. Aimless soundscapes abound so far - I hope this doesn't go on for the entire 70 minutes playing time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Islands in the Stream - Jerry Goldsmith

Was in a Goldsmith mood so I looked on Spotify to see if there was anything there that struck my fancy and this masterpiece is on there (courtesy of La-La Land Records). Such a beautiful score.
  12. NP: Banking On Bitcoin - Ben Prunty

I had to stop The Bye Bye Man way before the 70 minutes were up.

Prunty's score for the recent documentary, Banking On Bitcoin, has been out for a while (released under the title, 'Cipher') but the film's only received a release recently.

Prunty's synth score is a great little album full of interesting synth sounds and rhythms. You can listen to the whole album on Bandcamp:

https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/ci … on-bitcoin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Banking On Bitcoin - Ben Prunty

I had to stop The Bye Bye Man way before the 70 minutes were up.

Prunty's score for the recent documentary, Banking On Bitcoin, has been out for a while (released under the title, 'Cipher') but the film's only received a release recently.

Prunty's synth score is a great little album full of interesting synth sounds and rhythms. You can listen to the whole album on Bandcamp:

https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/ci … on-bitcoin

Not bad. I like the very 'lean', analogue sound of this, although my preference always leans towards more 'lush' electronica. But it doesn't really go anywhere.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: By Request... The Best of John Williams

The marches assembled on this album let Williams become another John Philip Sousa.

Wow, what a great album! (It's on Spotify). That opening track is awesome. I forgot about this theme (next NP will be Summon the Heroes).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There was a time in the 80s and 90s when that album was the only way to get Williams' "Liberty Fanfare" and NBC music. Another reason it was counted as a must-have. Of course, these days, the pieces have had several more recordings, and everything is available a few clicks away.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

A very fine effort from Howard that was probably a little overshadowed by Dinosaur from the same year. There's some excellent action/adventure scoring here with a great theme and the right amount of 'ethnic' colours. I don't see people talk about this one very often... shame.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

A very fine effort from Howard that was probably a little overshadowed by Dinosaur from the same year. There's some excellent action/adventure scoring here with a great theme and the right amount of 'ethnic' colours. I don't see people talk about this one very often... shame.

It's one of my JNH favourites, I play it more than Dinosaur which I also love.
  13. It has some strong material but I always find the listening experience drops off rather sharply in the second half of the album.