• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2017 edited
    I loved it myself because it's not really a horror film per se, more of a sinister family drama steeped in times of witchcraft accusations. Don't expect jump scares or gore, if that's what's normally keeping you off of horror films. It's all the more effective for it. This is a proper Film. It IS creepy and intense, though.
  1. NP: Agnes of God (1984) - Georges Delerue

I consider it possible that quite recently I spoke nonsense concerning this great score.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2017
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. NP: The 13th Warrior (1999) - Jerry Goldsmith

One that makes you lean back and fly away to fantasy land.
  3. NP: Εξοδος 1826 - Kanaris Keramaris

Pleasant score for this Greek drama - Exodus 1826 - featuring woodwinds that has a slight ethnic emphasis that adds to the emotional impact of the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. NP: The Great Wall - Ramin Djawadi

Nothing here that we haven't heard before. I thought that the opening track promised a lot for the rest of the score but it doesn't really live up to that mix of action scoring and Chinese ethnic influences. Saying that though, it's still a very entertaining score though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. NP: The Lego Batman Movie - Lorne Balfe

Not sure about this one. It all seems a bit too chaotic for my listening enjoyment. I like the references to Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight universe, and the action scoring is solid. But, I struggle to really relax when the electric guitars begin their assault on the ears.
  6. I'm not sure the composer intended for you to relax, Alan! wink
  7. That's very true. Lorne has encouraged me to give it another listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My John Williams playlist.

John Williams is amazing.
  8. Indeed.

NP: My favorite 2016 cues playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017
    Southall wrote
    Moana Mancina

Average

I agree that the action music is rather irritating after a while, but some of the more ethnic, ethereal, expansive material is gorgeous! And I love the songs (the movie too). I need to set aside time for making a proper playlist out of the score portion.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Mockingjay Part 2 - James Newton Howard

Missed this when it first came out. As with all the other scores, there's about 15-20 minutes of really good material floating in a sea of meh (in this particular one, absolutely nothing happens until "Sewer Attack" half an hour in). You could easily make a nice one-disk playlist from the Hunger Games scores that would sound pretty impressive, but taken individually these scores are just really, really underwhelming. Enormous missed opportunity for JNH on his first really big franchise (although I know he came into it under less than ideal circumstances). Luckily Fantastic Beasts seems to be off to a much better start.

Edit: Also, something is really up with the recording on this one. All the loud parts sound really shrill and thin, almost synthetic. I noticed the same thing with The Huntsman: Winter's War but it's even worse here. It makes the otherwise excellent action music in "Sewer Attack" a lot harder on the ears than it needs to be. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PINOUT (Douglas Holmquist)

I can't get enough of this. One of the best media scores last year (for a game or an app or something), and I have Alan to thank for alerting me to it. GLORIOUS synthpop.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Mockingjay Part 2 - James Newton Howard

Missed this when it first came out. As with all the other scores, there's about 15-20 minutes of really good material floating in a sea of meh (in this particular one, absolutely nothing happens until "Sewer Attack" half an hour in). You could easily make a nice one-disk playlist from the Hunger Games scores that would sound pretty impressive, but taken individually these scores are just really, really underwhelming. Enormous missed opportunity for JNH on his first really big franchise (although I know he came into it under less than ideal circumstances). Luckily Fantastic Beasts seems to be off to a much better start.

Edit: Also, something is really up with the recording on this one. All the loud parts sound really shrill and thin, almost synthetic. I noticed the same thing with The Huntsman: Winter's War but it's even worse here. It makes the otherwise excellent action music in "Sewer Attack" a lot harder on the ears than it needs to be. slant

I must say that those scores have grown on me, still you are right concerning the one disc playlist:

1. THE HUNGER GAMES: The Hunger Games
    2. Horn of Plenty
    3. Rue's Farewell
    4. Tenuous Winners / Returning Home
    5. THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: The Tour
    6. Katniss Is Chosen
    7. I Need You
    8. Arena Crumbles
    9. THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY, PART 1: The Mockingjay
    10. The Hanging Tree
    11. Air Raid Drill
    12. Victory
    13. THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY, PART 2: Your Favorite Color Is Green
    14. Primrose
    15. There Are Worse Games to Play / Deep in the Meadow / The Hunger Games Suite

This is the Silva Screen album playlist that I used as a template. It works really well.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Silva HUNGER GAMES disc is one of my favourite compilations from last year. I don't really have any close connection to the movies (although I've seen them all), and didn't really have much in terms of a connection to JNH's music either. That album changed that.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. That's a really solid playlist. It's got all of my favorite cues on it. I agree that those scores were just okay with some nice highlights. The Huntsman scores feel the same way for me. It seems like quite a few of JNH's scores are that way. When it comes to finales full of awe and wonderment, though, JNH can do amazing things.

I felt like FANTASTIC BEASTS was really strong all the way through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: PINOUT (Douglas Holmquist)

I can't get enough of this. One of the best media scores last year (for a game or an app or something), and I have Alan to thank for alerting me to it. GLORIOUS synthpop.

PINOUT is an pinball game for Android/iOS. The game itself gets a bit tedious after a while.

Here's a YouTube video with some gameplay:

https://youtu.be/yPUjpP4PT_U

Thor, the composer has just released some more synth-based music, this time for a web-based series called Control:

https://douglasholmquist.bandcamp.com/a … inal-score
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    How bizarre!? Waste such brilliant music on something as 'mundane' as a pinball game app!

Definitely checking out the link -- Holmquist is on my radar now. Thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017
    Thor wrote
    How bizarre!? Waste such brilliant music on something as 'mundane' as a pinball game app!

Seriously, you can be SUCH a snob at times, Thor! biggrin
    What does it MATTER?
    Good is good!

My very favourite example is Jeff Wayne absolutely beautiful Forever Autumn (from his landmark War Of The Worlds) started out life as a commercial for Legoes!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It matters because it needs MUCH wider exposure!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. I find checking Bandcamp regularly (I do it daily) is one of the best places to find lesser-known soundtracks, especially for games (including smartphone apps/games) and short films. And many offer a refreshing change from the bigger productions.
  13. A Cure For Wellness Soundtrack (Benjamin Wallfisch)

Sad about that boring second part, because the first part was rather good. The lullaby and its various variations made for fun listening. Sad that the second part actually became the music I was afraid to get from the beginning.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  14. NP: First Knight (1995) - Jerry Goldsmith

The far superior C&C edit. So much ear candy. Goldsmith meets Orff. A match made in musical heaven.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    A Cure For Wellness Soundtrack (Benjamin Wallfisch)

Sad about that boring second part, because the first part was rather good. The lullaby and its various variations made for fun listening. Sad that the second part actually became the music I was afraid to get from the beginning.

I found it to be a perfect argument for non-chronological album arranging - the first half is fun, classical and leaves you wondering if at some point it'll start to be suspenseful, scary or moody, and then it's all mood, all suspense, boringly so.
  15. High Incident - John Powell

This is the earliest music by Powell I have ever heard (a tv series from 1996). It's semi-interesting from a historical perspective, and you can hear little glimmers of his nascent voice...but at the same time it's never really anything more than low-budget MV television music. The main theme is pretty catchy though (and quite clearly Powell).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    High Incident - John Powell

This is the earliest music by Powell I have ever heard (a tv series from 1996). It's semi-interesting from a historical perspective, and you can hear little glimmers of his nascent voice...but at the same time it's never really anything more than low-budget MV television music. The main theme is pretty catchy though (and quite clearly Powell).

It's also very much Zimmer, for whom he worked at the time. Thanks for sharing, though -- I've never heard it before.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    High Incident - John Powell

both Main Title Themes (season 1 1996) and (season 2 1997) are by zimmer. the theme from season 1 is performed by mark isham, but i guess for season 2 too. jeff rona wrote the score for season 1, john powell for season 2. as far as i know powell had nothing to do with season 1.