• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Kim Allen Kluge & Kathryn Kluge - Silence

Another score that will be vilified by many, which, by accounts I have heard, is completely absent from its movie.

Slow, sound-effects based (lots of nature sounds), yet not sound design per se score. It's, in some ways, closer to Arrival than something like Jackie and Francesco Lupica and his Cosmic Beam make a return to film music.

Difficult, contemplative stuff, which won't get many fans on CD. The interplay between the nature sounds and some choral/bell music representing the Christian aspect of the film is quite interesting in its ascetic application. I think I know, though, why it's supposed to sound like this and the inspiration was historic in origins.

To prepare him for the role, Scorsese took Andrew Garfield to meet with a Jesuit priest. Playing a Jesuit, Garfield took to the preparations and went through the whole meditative/contemplative procedure called the Spiritual Exercises. Essentially a set of prayers, meditations on single Biblical events, if not sentences, to the point of going through a heavily inward journey (apt, as the major model for Spanish Catholicism, which partly led to the Ignatian movement, but also to the Carmelite reform by St. Theresa of Jesus and St. John of the Cross) was the Dutch devotio moderna, which could be summed up, paraphrasing Thomas van Kempen, as "if you want to find me [ie. Jesus], look inside yourself". This is the dark musical equivalent of this approach.

All this weird, barely registrable as music, stuff is precisely that. It's meditation. Avantgarde meditation CD, which is contemplative, slow, but by any means not outwardly pleasant. Can't objectively recommend it as a good listening experience, but I do find this fascinating.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017
    I'm seeing SILENCE on Tuesday, and have high expectations after my colleagues raved about it after an even earlier press screening a few days ago. That includes the score. I heard the cues when they were available on the "For Your Consideration" site awhile back, including the integration with natural sound effects, THE NEW WORLD-style. I liked what I heard (pretty close to being up my alley), but think I'll like it even more in context.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi Williams

A playlist of the three Gerhardt recordings back to back, a great way to listen through the three films in 2 hours.
  3. I might see it this Tuesday (or Thursday) as well.
  4. SILENCE or STAR WARS?

Edit: OK, SILENCE I gather.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017
    NP: PINOUT (Douglas Holmquist)

Addicted.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    SILENCE or STAR WARS?

Edit: OK, SILENCE I gather.

You chose...poorly. wink
  6. NP: Halo Wars 2 - Gordy Haab, Brian Trifon & Brian Lee White

Only a few tracks in so far but this is a good listen. Action scoring balanced by more slow-paced, emotional pieces too. Hopefully this level of enjoyment will be maintained over the 2 hour playing time...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Ratatouille Giacchino

Haven't listened to this in ages, absolutely brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Halo Wars 2 - Gordy Haab, Brian Trifon & Brian Lee White

Only a few tracks in so far but this is a good listen. Action scoring balanced by more slow-paced, emotional pieces too. Hopefully this level of enjoyment will be maintained over the 2 hour playing time...

There are a lot of dud tracks, but that's to be expected in a two-hour, multi-composer game score. But the good tracks, presumably written by Haab, are blistering. This is the sort of action music I live for.
  8. Beneath the 12-Mile Reef Herrmann

The original and best underwater score? Listen to this a lot, one of my very favourite Herrmann scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    Beneath the 12-Mile Reef Herrmann

The original and best underwater score? Listen to this a lot, one of my very favourite Herrmann scores.

It's good, but my favourite in this category is unquestionably THE ABYSS, followed by SPHERE. By the way, a couple of years ago, we did a Top 10 'underwater movie' list at Montages:

http://montages.no/2013/09/topp-10-filmer-under-vann/
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Those are both terrific scores which I thoroughly enjoy but I keep being drawn back to this score much more often. I may be mistaken but I think this was the score that really created the traditional underwater 'sound' in film, particularly it's use of harps. Certainly I can't listen to the underwater music in 'Jaws 2', tracks like 'Finding the "Orca"' and 'Ballet for Divers' which I love dearly in their own right, without thinking of 'Beneath the 12-Mile Reef'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There's also THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, but that was one year after 12-MILE. You may be right that this was the first non-documentary film that created that particular 'sound'. Although classical composers have presumably used 'harp' effects and other things to describe the sea and water for years.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Oh for sure, classical music has always been inspired by the oceans but I'm thinking of 'Beneath the 12-Mile Reef' as potentially the first score to really cement this as a sound for underwater music in film. And certainly using nine harps each with their own separate parts was incredibly innovative and in my opinion a stroke of genius! If anyone else has other suggestions I'd be very keen to hear them!

Funnily enough Thor I just watched 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' on 3D blu-ray at the weekend, the natively shot underwater 3D photography looked absolutely stunning, even more so when you think that it was shot over 60 years ago!

The score was interesting, written by multiple composers including Henry Mancini and repurposing and rerecording library cues as part of the score. The strings, deep brass and winds and other orchestrations certainly accentuated the setting in the underwater scenes but I thought in general they were much more traditionally scored in terms of orchestration and general sound. I've been looking at the options for getting the soundtrack and the best option seems to be this rerecording from 'Monstrous Movie Music': http://www.mmmrecordings.com/Creature/creature.html

Has anyone got this? How's the sound and performance?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My favourite piece of "underwater music" doesn't contain harp and isn't from a film score...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEFuhWLenTA
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Menken. Arielle. If that entry is valid.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Jack The Ripper Bear McCreary

Much more enjoyable than Wintory's score. This is great.
  12. That's a great piece Tim, never heard it before!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    That's a great piece Tim, never heard it before!

Glad to be of service John smile It's very "filmic", Debussy is one of those composers who has been incredibly influential on film scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    My favourite piece of "underwater music" doesn't contain harp and isn't from a film score...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEFuhWLenTA

Man, is it weird to hear a piano piece I performed in my senior recital interpreted by an orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lego Batman Movie Lorne Balfe

An undemanding and fun score that I keep returning to. I agree with Southall's review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  13. Thor wrote
    I'm seeing SILENCE on Tuesday, and have high expectations after my colleagues raved about it after an even earlier press screening a few days ago. That includes the score. I heard the cues when they were available on the "For Your Consideration" site awhile back, including the integration with natural sound effects, THE NEW WORLD-style. I liked what I heard (pretty close to being up my alley), but think I'll like it even more in context.

The score is not missing, it's just very quietly mixed. And the film is meditative. It tries to get to the core of the Jesuit spirituality and religious experience. It's commendable in being not just a reflection on certain philosophical and theological issues, but rather a proper meditation on them.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017
    The Great Wall - Ramin Djawadi

It's not terrible. I could make a decent fifteen minute playlist out of this score. But an hour of it? Djawadi's music just doesn't have the depth needed to sustain that length. I suppose I'm also about a decade too late to bitch about the woodwinds being stripped from the orchestra's action cues, which desperately cry out for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, I seem to have had a much more positive reaction to that score than most. I love it, a last minute addition to my top 10 or even top 5 from last year. It's Game of Thrones on steroids.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

The score is not missing, it's just very quietly mixed. And the film is meditative. It tries to get to the core of the Jesuit spirituality and religious experience. It's commendable in being not just a reflection on certain philosophical and theological issues, but rather a proper meditation on them.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday too. I thought it was terribly disappointing, especially in the (lack of) actor directing, the lack of a welldefined pace, the vacant dialogue delivered as if it were the most important thing ever and the lack of any particular development that made any kind of impact. Scorsese certainly isn't Malick, and feels really out of his "place" here. He did slightly better with KUNDUN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I seem to have had a much more positive reaction to that score than most. I love it, a last minute addition to my top 10 or even top 5 from last year. It's Game of Thrones on steroids.

I'm usually on the same page as you Steven with your taste in music. But not quite with this one.
    I do like it. But only in a Pacific Rim (which is it's close musical cousin) kind of way.
    Some of the cues from the last season of Game of Thrones were more musically interesting to me.
  14. The most recent incarnation of his Game of Thrones music I found really strong.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The most recent incarnation of his Game of Thrones music I found really strong.

Volker

There's been some really fine scoring throughout the seasons.