• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The most recent incarnation of his Game of Thrones music I found really strong.

Volker

There's been some really fine scoring throughout the seasons.

yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Sporadically, yes.
  3. "Richochet" (Silvestri)

I thought I had lost it. I spent a long good while trying to find it, but failed and assuemd I had left it someplace. Then, while gathering my "CHiPs" CD's from FSM, I found it stuck to the inner booklet of a volume. Fucking fuck. I had opened and quickly closed that CD and many others, jsut breifly seeing if there were two CD's in one. Never expected to find one stuck to a booklet (water damange).

It's a fine Silvestri score. It's kind of like a "Predator" meets "The Quick and the Dead" combo, with light touches of "Back to the Future".

It's more motif and ostinato driven, though there is one theme (which is nice).

The score wastes no time and and immediately from track one opens with a driving repeating pattern with occassional brass bursts (like in "Predator").

It's a great sounding CD even for it's time, but it could sound better, plus the CD is on a the short side, with only twenty-eight minutes of score. So, it could certainly use an expansion, not just for some crystal clear sound, but to not only eliminate that Godwaful five minute Ice-T rap song that opens the disc, but give a chance for cues that contain more of the theme (or other themes not represented on the original CD) to be fleshed out more and give the overall score a more satisfying unity.

If you like those powerful brass scores with energy Silvestri used to compose and don't mind such a short CD, it's well worth checking out.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Basic Instinct Goldsmith

An amazingly seductive score, you just get lost in the soundscape, his orchestral/electronic integration at it's best.
  5. Total Recall Goldsmith

Some amazingly complex writing, it's almost exhausting to listen to in one go, great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I seem to have had a much more positive reaction to that score than most. I love it, a last minute addition to my top 10 or even top 5 from last year. It's Game of Thrones on steroids.

I'm usually on the same page as you Steven with your taste in music. But not quite with this one.
    I do like it. But only in a Pacific Rim (which is it's close musical cousin) kind of way.
    Some of the cues from the last season of Game of Thrones were more musically interesting to me.

Perhaps we agree on Gordy Haab's Halo Wars score? It's brilliant!
  6. NP - SILENCE - Kathryn Kluge and Kim Allen Kluge

There's not much music here, really. It's mostly nature sounds or creepy whispering. Now and then there's an ethereal boys choir mixed like they're off in the distance. Sometimes there's a solo instrument or two slowly playing something vaguely melodic. It has been an odd album to listen to, actually. Sometimes I've found the rain sounds, etc., soothing. Most of the time I've just wondered why anyone bothered to release this album and who would ever purchase it.
  7. NP: L'Apocalypse de Animaux (1973) - Vangelis

I know Thor shares my love for this disque extraordinaire. "Le Mort du Loup" has to be one of the most melancholic and yet heartbreakingly beautiful pieces of electronic music ever written. "Création du Monde" is another highlight in an enchanting album.
    Sadly I never saw the production this music was written for.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: L'Apocalypse de Animaux (1973) - Vangelis

I know Thor shares my love for this disque extraordinaire. "Le Mort du Loup" has to be one of the most melancholic and jet heartbreakingly beautiful pieces of electronic music ever written. "Création du Monde" is another highlight in an enchanting album.
    Sadly I never saw the production this music was written for.

Volker

One of Vangelis' very best! I've never seen the film either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017 edited
    NP - THE GREATEST MIRACLE - Mark McKenzie

Just revisiting my favorite score from 2011. This score is magnificent. I just finished the suite and was blown away by how many amazing themes McKenzie wrote for this. Amazing!

The same filmmakers hired McKenzie to score a film due out this year called MAX AND ME and gave him a similarly huge budget for the music (he got a huge orchestra, the Libera Boys Choir again, and Joshua Bell!). I can't wait for that. If there's a 2017 film score that I like more than that I'll be shocked.
  8. I remember you mentioning this a while back. I'm incredibly excited for it. Who says nothing good ever comes of religion? wink
  9. LOGAN (Marco Beltrami)

Raw, boring and colorless music. Even Ben-Hur is better than this. Disappointed sad .
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    LOGAN (Marco Beltrami)

Raw, boring and colorless music. Even Ben-Hur is better than this. Disappointed sad .

The movie was very good (although I had to leave 30 minutes before it ended), but I agree -- the music was very anonymous.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I just listened to that, too. The quieter parts were little more than unsettling dissonance. The action tracks were loud and grating dissonance. Not my kind of score. At all.
  11. NP - John Wick Chapter 2 - Tyler Bates and some other guy

Mind-numbingly terrible.
  12. LOST IN SPACE - Bruce Broughton

The original Intrada release is a bonafide desert island disc for me. I'm amazed that every time I put this on, I'm having a hell of a time with it, because it has so much spirit and a theme to die for. I've heard the excellent 2-disc release, but this one is so perfect I can't be bothered to buy it, simply because I don't think I will listen to it often as I already own the superior presentation.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017 edited
    Now there's a good score. "Thru the Planet" is one of my favorite compositions for film.

NP: KONG: SKULL ISLAND - Henry Jackman

This is fine. I'm sure it will work well in the film. It has a lot of big loud music, but none of it stands out for me as memorable or particularly noteworthy. I'll take JNH's score for Kong over this any day.
  13. christopher wrote
    "Thru the Planet" is one of my compositions for film.

You ghostwrote for Bruce Broughton? Congrats! That piece is fantastic, you must be very talented indeed.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017 edited
    shame Yes I did. It was seen as a risk giving such an important piece of music to a 16 year-old, but as you can hear from the piece, I did very well. wink
  14. NP - VICEROY'S HOUSE - A.R. Rahman

This was just released today. It's really nice. One of three new scores this year that I've really enjoyed (out of the 32 I've been able to hear so far). It starts out pretty quietly, but the melodic statements get more sumptuous and grand in the second half of the album. "Two Broken Hearts," "The Partition," "The Birth of Two Nations," "Jeet Find Alia," and "The Cost of Freedom" are standout tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I seem to have had a much more positive reaction to that score than most. I love it, a last minute addition to my top 10 or even top 5 from last year. It's Game of Thrones on steroids.

I'm usually on the same page as you Steven with your taste in music. But not quite with this one.
    I do like it. But only in a Pacific Rim (which is it's close musical cousin) kind of way.
    Some of the cues from the last season of Game of Thrones were more musically interesting to me.

Perhaps we agree on Gordy Haab's Halo Wars score? It's brilliant!

Just listening to it now and I'm liking what I'm hearing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    NP - VICEROY'S HOUSE - A.R. Rahman

This was just released today. It's really nice. One of three new scores this year that I've really enjoyed (out of the 32 I've been able to hear so far). It starts out pretty quietly, but the melodic statements get more sumptuous and grand in the second half of the album. "Two Broken Hearts," "The Partition," "The Birth of Two Nations," "Jeet Find Alia," and "The Cost of Freedom" are standout tracks.

32!
  15. I myself am sitting pretty on...4.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kong: Skull Island Jackman

Very dull.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2017
    Logan - Marco Beltrami

Unpleasant. I'm sure the movie calls for nothing less but it's not something I want to hear apart from it.
  16. Southall wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - VICEROY'S HOUSE - A.R. Rahman

32!

It's a first for me. I'm usually still catching up on the previous year's stuff at this point, but my new job has me commuting for close to two hours round trip each day, and I have a desk job now in an office by myself, so between the commute and the times at work that can listen to music, I've been able to listen to far more music this year than I ever have before. I'm not just listening to new stuff either. It's been pretty great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017 edited
    JURASSIC PARK (extended LaLaLand) - John Williams

Finally got around to listening this. Knowing this score and film so well, every moment of it, it's completely bizarre to have a cue like Hungry Raptor in there, which was not used in the film and felt out of place right away. I might program this one into the bonus tracks, even though it's a very interesting (and quite aggressive) rendition of the carnivore theme.

As for the whole presentation: ups and downs. It's great to have a film version like this, and the cleaned up sound works wonders most of the time, but at others is simply too shrill or too clear and revealing. Also, why they decided to split the score over 2 CD's like this... they could've easily put the whole film score on a single disc, with a couple,of bonus tracks on the other to have an uninterrupted experience. And then the long pauses of complete silence between tracks, to get you out of the experience... but these are beefs I've got with nearly all of these specialty labels, that are somehow quite often just not perfectionistic enough.

All in all, it's certainly great to have this, but don't throw away the original album presentation.
  17. BobdH wrote
    too clear and revealing.

Is there such a thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017
    BobdH wrote

Also, why they decided to split the score over 2 CD's like this... they could've easily put the whole film score on a single disc, with a couple,of bonus tracks on the other to have an uninterrupted experience.

If only there was some way to listen to it uninterrupted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017
    BobdH wrote

Finally got around to listening this. Knowing this score and film so well, every moment of it, it's completely bizarre to have a cue like Hungry Raptor in there, which was not used in the film and felt out of place right away. I might program this one into the bonus tracks, even though it's a very interesting (and quite aggressive) rendition of the carnivore theme.

As for the whole presentation: ups and downs. It's great to have a film version like this, and the cleaned up sound works wonders most of the time, but at others is simply too shrill or too clear and revealing. Also, why they decided to split the score over 2 CD's like this... they could've easily put the whole film score on a single disc, with a couple,of bonus tracks on the other to have an uninterrupted experience. And then the long pauses of complete silence between tracks, to get you out of the experience... but these are beefs I've got with nearly all of these specialty labels, that are somehow quite often just not perfectionistic enough.

All in all, it's certainly great to have this, but don't throw away the original album presentation.

It was a bit painful to see my favourite score treated this way, but thankfully I don't have to buy it!
    I am extremely serious.