• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    JURASSIC PARK (extended LaLaLand) - John Williams

Also, why they decided to split the score over 2 CD's like this... they could've easily put the whole film score on a single disc, with a couple,of bonus tracks on the other to have an uninterrupted experience.

If only there was some way to listen to it uninterrupted.

This would lead into the whole - but you can rip it into your own program! - discussion, but I buy a CD to be able to enjoy it right from the master audio quality of the CD, without having to transport either lossy to my phone, or lossless which'll fill up my file storage on an iPhone that's already saying I need to delete stuff.

But that's not the point - CD producers should make decisions that make sense, tailored to the best listening experience possible. It's their fault for the most part I've gone away from buying physical CD's - album presentations are 9 out of 10 horrible these days, so when I'm going to have to arrange my own presentation, I'd better get it from a digital file in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    BobdH wrote
    too clear and revealing.

Is there such a thing?

Apparently, yes there is. For example, it pronounces the difference between the orchestra and electronics in a way that makes me prefer the original album mix. Also, other sections of the score in which I prefer the original orchestral mix. See also: the discussion on the CutThroat Island remastering, in which a flute which was always in the background, was all of a sudden front and center. A clear and open mastering can be wonderful, and large parts of Jurassic Park are, but sometimes a technically 'better' mastering isn't always a more beautiful sound.

It reminds me of the remastering of classic films, if you want to visualise it: there are remasterings which get rid of all the film grain, which gives off a waxy image that has lost all of its texture and charm, and there are masterings that keep its grain intact. To me, at times, Jurassic Park lost its film grain.
  1. Thor wrote
    It was a bit painful to see my favourite score treated this way, but thankfully I don't have to buy it!

In that case how the fuck is it painful to you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    JURASSIC PARK (extended LaLaLand) - John Williams

Also, why they decided to split the score over 2 CD's like this... they could've easily put the whole film score on a single disc, with a couple,of bonus tracks on the other to have an uninterrupted experience.

If only there was some way to listen to it uninterrupted.

This would lead into the whole - but you can rip it into your own program! - discussion, but I buy a CD to be able to enjoy it right from the master audio quality of the CD, without having to transport either lossy to my phone, or lossless which'll fill up my file storage on an iPhone that's already saying I need to delete stuff.

But that's not the point - CD producers should make decisions that make sense, tailored to the best listening experience possible. It's their fault for the most part I've gone away from buying physical CD's - album presentations are 9 out of 10 horrible these days, so when I'm going to have to arrange my own presentation, I'd better get it from a digital file in the first place.

I agree! Still, I don't bother with lossless when it comes to portable devices. If there is a person in this world who can tell the difference between 320kbps and FLAC, I'd like to meet them. Or at least get them do to a double-blind test. I'd love to be proven wrong.
  2. There are plenty of people who claim to be able to tell the difference. I'd love to see them all do a blind test, as you say...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    I agree! Still, I don't bother with lossless when it comes to portable devices. If there is a person in this world who can tell the difference between 320kbps and FLAC, I'd like to meet them. Or at least get them do to a double-blind test. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    There are plenty of people who claim to be able to tell the difference. I'd love to see them all do a blind test, as you say...

I recently did with a friend of mine. We've always been fascinated by this, and with the advent of streaming services like Tidal and their CD quality streams as well as another (French) streaming service which goes even further in providing the actual masters, we sat down for an evening of comparing, both knowing what we were listening, and then testing each other blindly, for a definitive answer. We were streaming to his (high end) stereo set-up.

We were mainly testing with John Williams' The Force Awakens (Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance) because of the orchestral nature of the score and the mixing which lets you hear all of its individual instruments and clear recording.

Results: 320 vs CD (lossless)
    There's a clear and very noticeable difference between 320 kb/s and 'CD quality'. The latter broadens the sound palette significantly, making it easier to make the distinctions between instruments, with noticeable improvements in for example solo instruments in parts of Rey's Theme. Especially when listening in lossless and familiarizing yourself with the sound quality, you immediately notice a drop in quality when returning to the 320 version.

Results: CD lossless vs Master
    The difference between CD quality and the master was a lot more difficult to establish and although identifiable when heard right after each other when focusing on specific parts of the orchestra, this is for me where the difference becomes uninteresting. Which is interesting, because I recently saw the 1927 silent film Napoleon which features a newly recorded orchestral score in DTS HD Master 7.1 sound, which was phenomenal and definitely above CD quality audio - not just in how the 7.1 mixing mimicked the accoustics of a concert hall, but also in quality of the sound.

Results: CD lossless Tidal vs CD lossless French streaming service
    Also, it was interesting to note there's a difference between listening to the same 'CD quality' lever through Tidal and the French streaming service, both sounding not quite the same, as if you're listening with a different pair of headphones, the one slightly more treble, the other slightly more bass, suggesting you cannot solely rely on the actual file, but also the way the app handles its music.

Bottom line was, I've always known I can hear the difference in sound quality, but now it as proven. Also, listening with my high end headphones on bed, in the dark, as I usually do on first listen, makes the difference in quality all the more noticeable. This does not mean I do not enjoy the quality as provided by Apple Music, and especially for everyday music listening purposes it's excellent - if you're listening with in ear headphones while commuting, or walking in the city, whatever, no, you will most likely not hear a difference - it's just that, yes, CD quality is certainly better when you pay attention to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A couple of questions: Was this a double-blind test? And were there any other variables that could have affected the results?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    It was a bit painful to see my favourite score treated this way, but thankfully I don't have to buy it!

Painful the way I see any of my friends mistreated, even if it doesn't affect me, personally.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    A couple of questions: Was this a double-blind test?

You may even say we did triple blind tests per person. CD vs 320 was conclusive to both of us, when done blind, CD vs Master wasn't.

Steven wrote
    And were there any other variables that could have affected the results?

No. Although my friend afterwards dove into the hardware part of things, and investigated how this affects the sound quality in a major way, the tests were all done with the same equipment. That is to say, the same device streaming the music from the services, namely Tidal and its different qualities and the French service. All from the same device, streaming to his high fi system through the same method, done repeatedly and alternating between qualities. You may say the most honest comparison was the one between Tidal 320 and Tidal CD. Since we didn't compare a stream with an actual CD, there's no loss of quality or dishonest comparison there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    There's other services beyond SPotify that are worth checking out then? How expensive are the ones you mention Bob?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    There's other services beyond SPotify that are worth checking out then? How expensive are the ones you mention Bob?

Oh yes, it's very much developing right now, with Spotify being the most accessible and well known version, but with Tidal (owned by Jay-Z) offering an alternative that is more tailored to audiophiles. Of course, this does come with a cost: a regular Tidal subscription being $9,99 (comparible to Spotify) and at $19,99 a much higher priced premium model to be able to listen High Fidelity.

That French service is called Qobuz by the way, and is basically an even more audiophile/niche version of Tidal, asking higher prices and a different payment system for its Masters (of which they have a limited selection) - you need to BUY the master files, on which you get a discount if you also have a subscription to their service. I doubt this'll catch on, because of its nicheness and because of its crappy pricing model.

Apple Music is what I'm using myself, mainly because I want my own library in the same app as my streaming albums, which I then download onto my phone. In terms of quality: this differs from Spotify in that it's not MP3 but Apples own file type and way of compressing, in 192 kb/s yet still in higher quality than Spotify through its different compressing method.

In terms of catalogue (especially worthy of inspection when you're in such a niche market as us wink), Tidal started out with quite a disappointing selection, but has caught up by now, offering pretty much the same selection as Spotify or Apple Music does.

By the way, last week Spotify started tests amongst their audience with high quality, lossless Music for a slightly more expensive service ($15,- I believe), so expect an announcement from them soon if this is of interest to you.
  3. Skull Island (Henry Jackman)

It's ... function-able, but mostly it's a CD you put in the CD player, it passes by and at the end you pull the CD back out. It basically has zero personality. If you say this was the extended music of This is the End I would have believed you. Though track 22 (The Battle of Skull Island) has some oomph. Arghhh another forgettable blockbuster score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Painful the way I see any of my friends mistreated, even if it doesn't affect me, personally.

Mistreated? face-palm-mt

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of film score fans are happy to see these scores expanded to their fullest capacity. Does this take away your original CD album or change it in any way? No. Is anybody forcing you to buy the expansion? No. But you're saying you'd rather the expansion not be made, depriving those fans of what they want, simply because it soothes your ideological crusade and makes you feel better.

THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOU IN ANY WAY. Get off your high horse. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Is that the first time you're having that discussion? No. Do you expect a different outcome now? Not probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But you're saying you'd rather the expansion not be made, depriving those fans of what they want, simply because it soothes your ideological crusade and makes you feel better.

Yes. Because it also affects the way we talk about scores and soundtracks in general. I realize I'm not the King of the Soundtrack World, but my feelings on this issue are what they are, regardless of the 'pragmatics' (they sell well, are sought after etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. That is spectacularly selfish of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Why? There is no pragmatic consequence. These types of releases will continue to come, no matter what my feelings on the issue are.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Skull Island (Henry Jackman)

It's ... function-able, but mostly it's a CD you put in the CD player, it passes by and at the end you pull the CD back out. It basically has zero personality. If you say this was the extended music of This is the End I would have believed you. Though track 22 (The Battle of Skull Island) has some oomph. Arghhh another forgettable blockbuster score

I've been writing my review of this. I wrote "...a bit like Alexandre Desplat's Godzilla if you took out virtually everything that made it so good" then deleted it because it's too facile, but have put it here so it's preserved for all eternity.
  6. NP: HAIR (1979) - Galt McDermot; Milos Forman

Let the sunshine in!

cool Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. NP: The Hunt for Red October (1990) - Basil Poledouris

This music has balls ans brains and punch!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    A couple of questions: Was this a double-blind test?

You may even say we did triple blind tests per person. CD vs 320 was conclusive to both of us, when done blind, CD vs Master wasn't.

Steven wrote
    And were there any other variables that could have affected the results?

No. Although my friend afterwards dove into the hardware part of things, and investigated how this affects the sound quality in a major way, the tests were all done with the same equipment. That is to say, the same device streaming the music from the services, namely Tidal and its different qualities and the French service. All from the same device, streaming to his high fi system through the same method, done repeatedly and alternating between qualities. You may say the most honest comparison was the one between Tidal 320 and Tidal CD. Since we didn't compare a stream with an actual CD, there's no loss of quality or dishonest comparison there.

Hmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Now, I see many people quite often say things on messageboards like you did at the start of this, "I don't believe anyone could hear the difference between the two", "People claim they can but I don't believe them", and yet, have you yourself tested this out? Have you actually paid attention to the quality difference side by side?

And yet, big streaming services like Spotify continue to invest big money in delivering high fidelity lossless audio to their customers, in the case of Tidal even building their business model and USP on it, so apparently me and my friend are not the only one. We were interested in the phenomenon, so we took action to find out, instead of not knowing what we were talking about.

I'd suggest you try it out for yourself once? Would love to see you do a double blind test and fail and prove me wrong.
  8. I've done a double blind test and I can't hear a damn thing. Spotify is investing big money in the placebo effect. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly. Placebo. Plus the burden of proof is not with me, it's with those who claim to be able to hear a difference. What Bob has described doesn't appear to be a proper double blind test (he'd have to have a third, disinterested party involved plus the use of far more samples) and therefore isn't a reliable result.

But I do understand why people cling to this audiophile myth and believe it. I used to myself. It feels so intuitive -- and we discerning music fans will always want the best.

I've done a non-blind test and can't hear a difference! Sure, that could be my lack of hearing abilities, but anecdotally at least I can't hear a damn bit of difference. WAV is only useful for editing purposes, then compress afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Apparently, Edmund, Steven doesn't really know what he's talking about, as he is not really interested enough to investigate, but thinks he's right anyway and revels in going on internet boards telling other people they are wrong, then dispute everything they say because it doesn't adhere to his own rules which he himself doesn't live up to with his own tests which aren't blind at all, isn't representative, but is somehow more important than what others are telling him, who have dedicated a whole evening about the subject. Steven just shouldn't go round telling people he's open to be proven wrong.
  9. I have an idea: how about those who want the highest quality sound possible do what they want to get that, and those who don't care not worry about it? smile I personally don't have a horse in this race, as I've never had nice enough audio equipment to really put this to the test. Isn't film music great, though? smile

NP - BLACK GOLD - James Horner

Great stuff. This and WOLF TOTEM are my favorite Horner scores from this decade. This is just sweeping and grand. A proper score for a desert epic.
  10. christopher wrote
    I have an idea: how about those who want the highest quality sound possible do what they want to get that, and those who don't care not worry about it? smile I personally don't have a horse in this race, as I've never had nice enough audio equipment to really put this to the test. Isn't film music great, though? smile

This is the most sensible thing anyone has said in this thread for a long while (myself included).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017
    christopher wrote
    I have an idea: how about those who want the highest quality sound possible do what they want to get that, and those who don't care not worry about it? smile I personally don't have a horse in this race, as I've never had nice enough audio equipment to really put this to the test. Isn't film music great, though? smile

I agree! I just thought I could contribute to the conversation and respond to what was being said with recent findings, because I find the subject interesting and it's something I've discussed at length with a friend. Didn't think it'd be so easily rejected. Lessons learned about online commenters.
  11. Can someone start a new thread?

I wish for someone else to become NP thread starter... smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    Can someone start a new thread?

I wish for someone else to become NP thread starter... smile

Yeah, it's a good idea after 150 pages....
    I am extremely serious.