• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. MP3 was never intended for use with high end equipment. While driving or jogging I challenge anyone to tell the difference between a 128 mp3 ad a lossless flack or wave file.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017 edited
    BobdH wrote
    christopher wrote
    I have an idea: how about those who want the highest quality sound possible do what they want to get that, and those who don't care not worry about it? smile I personally don't have a horse in this race, as I've never had nice enough audio equipment to really put this to the test. Isn't film music great, though? smile

I agree! I just thought I could contribute to the conversation and respond to what was being said with recent findings, because I find the subject interesting and it's something I've discussed at length with a friend. Didn't think it'd be so easily rejected. Lessons learned about online commenters.

Taking it back to your first post - I agree that if the producers of the Jurassic Park album could have put the whole album on a single disc, they should have. It doesn't burn me up too bad, though, since I have no problem with the audio quality of ripped files on itunes.

As for whether people can hear the difference between different levels of audio quality, I say we all gather at somebody's house who has really high quality audio equipment and do one of these double blind tests. That would be super fun! (I know you already did this, and your results are interesting. One of the hallmarks of scientific inquiry, though, is replicability! Is that not a word?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017
    I'm up for it. You're all invited!
  2. THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri

This is my number one Silvestri score, without a doubt... It's so rich in every department, the ambience is spot on, the action cues are fantastic, the themes are memorable and full of passion, and it builds to that incredible finale. One of my favorite movie endings of all time.

The Deluxe Edition adds so much to the original album. The presentation is spot on. Wouldn't change a thing.

If it were up to me, the man would get my green light to score Avatar 2 and its 15 sequels.
    C'mon Jim do the sensible thing. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017
    It's not only my number 1 Silvestri score; it's also in my altime Top 10, regardless of composer!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Apparently, Edmund, Steven doesn't really know what he's talking about, as he is not really interested enough to investigate, but thinks he's right anyway and revels in going on internet boards telling other people they are wrong, then dispute everything they say because it doesn't adhere to his own rules which he himself doesn't live up to with his own tests which aren't blind at all, isn't representative, but is somehow more important than what others are telling him, who have dedicated a whole evening about the subject. Steven just shouldn't go round telling people he's open to be proven wrong.

That escalated quickly!

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but what you've described doesn't cut it. But like Christopher says, if you're happy with it, all power to you.

Also, you're getting a little confused. The fact that I didn't perform a blind test and still couldn't notice a difference is more a point on my side than yours (and I was careful to call in an anecdote, not evidence). dizzy
  3. Thor wrote
    It's not only my number 1 Silvestri score; it's also in my altime Top 10, regardless of composer!

Not in my top 10 but that's because there are already enough stellar scores that enjoy equally or more, well at least 15 which will never change for as long as I live. (check my profile).

But it definitely is in my top 20. It's a true 'goosebump' score, even more so in its complete form.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's basically the score that turned me on to film music, so it has a tremendous place in my heart. Like you say, one of those "rocks" that will never move.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri

This is my number one Silvestri score, without a doubt... It's so rich in every department, the ambience is spot on, the action cues are fantastic, the themes are memorable and full of passion, and it builds to that incredible finale. One of my favorite movie endings of all time.

The Deluxe Edition adds so much to the original album. The presentation is spot on. Wouldn't change a thing

Thor wrote

Hmm. So I guess I should probably listen to this one, then? shame
  5. ^ One of the scores that triggered my interest in film music a quarter of a century ago. I remember I recorded this film on Video 2000 and when I saw it the choral parts towards the end let my jaw drop to the ground.

NP: The Postman (1997) - James Newton Howard

This CD came in today. The score cues on this mixes score/song album amount to healthy 50 minutes. A recent exiting discovery this score is. Right up my alley.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. The songs are cringe-worthy and extremely unpleasant to listen to. I think I've heard them once way back in '97 and then never again... What's more I throw up a little in my mouth when those first couple of seconds play right after the final score cue. And I mean RIGHT after... Couldn't they at least have inserted a 10 second pause or something???

But the score is one that needs an expansion. There's tons of great music left off the album. I never look forward to JNH anymore (don't ask me why), but The Postman 2 CD release... well consider it already ordered.
  7. DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry

Very entertaining. I own only 4 Barry Bond scores (Goldfinger, Secret Service, Diamonds, and IMO the best one is 'The Living Daylights', which is just great fun). This is more laidback melodic Barry, that classic expressive and romantic sound that will never come back because it's considered old-fashioned. But darn it if old-fashioned isn't the epitome of cool. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (John Williams)

Picking up my Williams film walkthrough where I left off a week ago or so. I have nothing meaningful to say about the score that hasn't already been said a million times.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry

Very entertaining. I own only 4 Barry Bond scores (Goldfinger, Secret Service, Diamonds, and IMO the best one is 'The Living Daylights', which is just great fun). This is more laidback melodic Barry, that classic expressive and romantic sound that will never come back because it's considered old-fashioned. But darn it if old-fashioned isn't the epitome of cool. cool

Brilliant score.

Personally I'd say you need You Only Live Twice. Thunderball and A View To A Kill, in that order.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Can someone start a new thread?

I wish for someone else to become NP thread starter... smile

Yeah, it's a good idea after 150 pages....

So someone up for it? I want to pass on the baton. knight

It's a huge honor of course. And your name will be on the first page for many months to come. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Can someone start a new thread?

I wish for someone else to become NP thread starter... smile

Yeah, it's a good idea after 150 pages....

So someone up for it? I want to pass on the baton. knight

It's a huge honor of course. And your name will be on the first page for many months to come. tongue

I'll do it. Though I the title is going to look a little weird with the roman numeral for 50... Is that why no one wants to start it? wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017
    Beauty and the Beast (2017) - Alan Menken

Once you skip past the songs (most of which are inferior to the originals), there's a lot to love here. It's wonderful hearing Menken's themes with an orchestra this size.
  9. Josh B wrote
    Beauty and the Beast (2017) - Alan Menken

Once you skip past the songs (most of which are inferior to the originals), there's a lot to love here. It's wonderful hearing Menken's themes with an orchestra this size.

Josh, use the new thread instead, I'm closing this smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh