• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. @ Nautilus: Another thing; I need you to redo and specify your Michael Giacchino vote, since we vote for each Lost-Season individually.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008
    Rather you than me Ralph shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Now, what do you guys think about this Top Three business, after it´s up and running again...?

What do you think about how the lists are done and organized? What about the results (for those composers where results could be counted as such (at least ten voters))? Anything else you wanna say?

I *like* it, Ralph.
    I *especially* like the derivative lists, like you did in your last post.
    The idea of condensing some sort of "soundtrack primer" through the most voted soundtracks is very elucidating and more interesting than I would have guessed.

I wonder why you would want to add an additional datestamp, though?
    Surely once you've voted for a particular composer/score, you're not going to revisit that?
    I can see me adding *additional* votes (I just realized I forgot Maurice Jarre for example), but I would not change my initial votes, so why timestamp 'em?

Seems like a LOT of work as well... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I´ve included new votes up to Hybrid Soldier´s MV votes from yesterday. As you´ll be aware, everyone got vote-crazy, and with that rate of voting, there´s no chance I could keep up. I´ll add votes as I have the time, though; patience, please, okay?

Changes within a Top Three list are noted, as well as newly added composers. I´ve included the date of vote into the voter lists where I updated something. Take a look and tell me what you think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I *especially* like the derivative lists, like you did in your last post.
    The idea of condensing some sort of "soundtrack primer" through the most voted soundtracks is very elucidating and more interesting than I would have guessed.

Thanks for commenting! It´s a pleasure.

Glad you like the Best Of list. I´ll be happy to update that thing regularly. Any other kind of list you´d like me to "derivate"?

I wonder why you would want to add an additional datestamp, though?

Well, some people change there opinion about a specific top three sometimes, especially where composers are still alive and write something spectacularly new. wink

Other people simply forgot that they already voted.

Obviously, some people find it too hard to look after their old votes to quote them, and I certainly see the reason for that. It is a bit time-consuming to scroll through the old pages to find an old vote. So it is absolutely impossible for me to look up everyone´s old votes, but what I can do is tell them where to find them themselves. Currently, there are so many updates I only have time to add the voting date for new votes, but if I see people actually take the time to look after their old votes to help me out, I´ll be much more motivated to add the old ones. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good point.
    Well, I can see you enjoy making things as work-intensively as possible for yourself, so far be it from me to dissuade you of this calling. wink Just as a matter of interest: in your working life, do you happen to be a DBA?

On the derivative lists: yeah, I'd *actually* be interesed as well in the composers/scores with the LOWEST amount of points. These should be good for a couple of interesting dicussions (even though I fear the bulk of those will exist of Joep's extensive list of Outermongolian ocarina composers... wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. What would a DBA be? I´m a Biological-Technical-Assistant by profession, but have been at home for twelve years now, raising my daughter, keeping the house clean and dry, doing translations, write for magazines, write fanstuff, write my own book... so I have lots of time obviously. dizzy

I agree with you on the LOWEST list, it would be difficult to read something useful out of that.

We´ll find something to do with that stuff further or later. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Timmer wrote
    Rather you than me Ralph shocked wink

Thanks. This helps a lot. beer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    What would a DBA be?

Sorry, if you were you would know. smile
    Database Administrator.
    It was just a couple of options you suggested for the list that suggested that possibility to me: a very organized and structured mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, I tend to structure and organize a lot. Seems to be my kind of thing, though I get tired of it very soon if it gets too much. Meaning there will be times when I´ll work a lot on those lists (like the last days) and times when I won´t look at them for weeks. This way it works best for me, when there´s no pressure. I hope you can live with that, but somehow I get the feeling that you´ll have to. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008 edited
    I´ve included Justin´s votes from April 18th for those composers he didn´t vote on before:
    Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri, and Basil Poledouris. Still waiting for his and Jordi´s quotations of old votes on those other composers... *hint hint*
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    HGW :
    Armageddon 1 point
    Wasn´t that a Trevor Rabin score?

Nope, I'm not speaking of Trevor's part of the score (even if it's great, but he only wrote 40% of it)...

I'm actually speaking of all the action music written by HGW... biggrin
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    JOHN POWELL
    Chicken Run(???) / X-Men III 2 points
    You´re getting me confused, Hybrid, since we listed Chicken Run under HGW already. I´ve no idea who really wrote it, so could somebody please tell me?!? ^^

1 - Opening Escape (3:39)
    John Powell
    2 - Main Titles (3:24)
    John Powell
    3 - The Evil Mrs. Tweedy (4:22)
    John Powell
    4 - Rats! (1:09)
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    5 - Chickens Are Not Organized (1:01)
    John Powell
    6 - We Need A Miracle (2:03)
    John Powell
    7 - Rocky And The Circus (3:51)
    John Powell
    8 - Flight Training (3:39)
    John Powell
    9 - A Really Big Truck Arrives (5:56)
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    10 - Cocktails And Flighty Thoughts (1:58)
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    11 - Babs' Big Break (1:40)
    John Powell
    13 - Up On The Roof (3:08)
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    14 - Into The Pie Machine (3:10)
    John Powell
    15 - Rocky‚ A Fake All Along (3:28)
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    16 - Building The Crate (3:32)
    John Powell
    18 - The Chickens Are Revolting (2:45)
    John Powell, Gavin Greenaway
    19 - Lift Off (3:41)
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    20 - Escape To Paradise (4:59)
    John Powell, Gavin Greenaway, James McKee Smith

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Make your choice ! biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008 edited
    I see... my mistake.

Many thanks for taking the time to explain this.
  6. I´ve included all of JoPe´s votes from April 18th. Lots of changes, all marked red...
  7. I´ve included all of Thomas´ votes from April 18th. There are some changes and even a new composer, all marked red...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008 edited
    I just updated The Best of The Best list for you; it contains every score which managed to get at least 20 points now, which was the original number of points I wanted to use, and now that Conan got his 20 points, I am happily biased. biggrin

For now, it´s a Top 14!
    So if you want some of your beloved treasures to be found in this list, GO ON and vote! punk

David Arnold: Independence Day / Stargate / Godzilla
    Jerry Goldsmith: Star Trek - The Motion Picture
    James Horner: Krull / Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
    James Newton Howard: Signs / Dinosaur / The Village
    Trevor Jones: Last of the Mohicans
    Basil Poledouris: Conan the Barbarian
    John Williams: The Empire strikes back
    Hans Zimmer: The Thin Red Line / The Prince of Egypt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008
    The only really "odd" picks above are JNH and Zimmer, IMO. I've never been able to check out JNH's Shyamalan efforts on CD, so I don't really have a connection to SIGNS or THE VILLAGE (although I know the theme to SIGNS very well). I own DINOSAUR and think it's a fine listen, but wouldn't put it even NEAR the top of his output. How there is no WATERWORLD, FLATLINERS, WYATT EARP, FALLING DOWN, KING KONG or SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is beyond me. Zimmer's TRL is understandable, I guess, since it's very untypical of him and ethereal, but again - where are the brilliant "power anthem" scores (THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, BACKDRAFT) or his wonderful ethnic-tinged ones (LION KING, BEYOND RANGOON, LAST SAMURAI, POWER OF ONE, GLADIATOR etc.)? Strange.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    The voting would even out a lot more at somewhere like the FSM board where there is so many more participants.

I'l have to look back to see how I voted on Zimmer and JNH?

Edit : I'm sure I voted TTRL, Black Hawk Down, Backdraft for Zimmer and Snow Falling On Cedars, Unbreakable and Signs for JNH?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    The only really "odd" picks above are JNH and Zimmer, IMO. I've never been able to check out JNH's Shyamalan efforts on CD, so I don't really have a connection to SIGNS or THE VILLAGE (although I know the theme to SIGNS very well). I own DINOSAUR and think it's a fine listen, but wouldn't put it even NEAR the top of his output. How there is no WATERWORLD, FLATLINERS, WYATT EARP, FALLING DOWN, KING KONG or SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is beyond me. Zimmer's TRL is understandable, I guess, since it's very untypical of him and ethereal, but again - where are the brilliant "power anthem" scores (THE ROCK, CRIMSON TIDE, BACKDRAFT) or his wonderful ethnic-tinged ones (LION KING, BEYOND RANGOON, LAST SAMURAI, POWER OF ONE, GLADIATOR etc.)? Strange.

First of all, you have to keep in mind that this list is extremely unbiased because it depends on the number of voters for a composer in the first place. There are lots of scores I would certainly like to see in a Top 10 list, but they didn´t get enough points because of the lack of people voting for that specific composer. Time might change that.

Second, especially with the popular composers with many votes, it is an achievement to get something into this BEST list, because of the amount of scores they have done and are loved by us all, so the points spread out between a lot of scores, and it is quite an achievement to get something into this list at all. Williams, for example, suffers from this immensely. A top ten list, without an Indy score, but with Dinorsaur in it? Yeah, I can see where you´re coming from...

It should be noted that of the Howard scores you mention, King Kong, Snow falling, and Waterworld are at 18 points currently, which is close enough to being mentioned here.

Regarding to Zimmer, Backdraft appears rather high on the list.

@ Timmer: I am totally aware about the fact that this list would make more sense on a larger board, but in the end, this is just fun, and it´s the only board I visit.

I think the list is good hint about what maintitles.net folk like, not more, but it doesn´t want to be more.

About your votes: The * behind your name in a composer´s voter list indicates that you voted for him in the early days of the lists, when I did them at each composers specific topic. You will find your vote there. I am way behind posting votes, and even more behind looking up the dates when people posted, so if you want to know your old votes, please go and look them up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008 edited
    I´ve included Hybrid Soldier´s votes as well as Joep´s and Martijn´s massive vote lists from April 19th. Lots of changes and new composers, all marked red...

This means the list is now up to date!!!

The only thing missing now are the dates from voters´ old votes. I´ll add them as soon as possible, but not today. Joep and Martijn´s lists took three hours to manage!
  8. THE TOP TEN SCORES (well, okay, eleven)

01. James Horner - Krull - 31 points
    02. David Arnold - Independence Day - 30 points
    03. David Arnold - StarGate - 29 points
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line - 29 points

05. James Newton Howard - Dinosaur - 28 points
    06. James Horner - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 27 points
    James Newton Howard - Signs - 27 points
    08. David Arnold - Godzilla - 26 points
    Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 26 points
    10. Trevor Jones - The Last of the Mohicans - 25 points
    Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian - 25 points
  9. *shameless bumping*
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    THE TOP TEN SCORES (well, okay, eleven)

01. James Horner - Krull - 31 points
    02. David Arnold - Independence Day - 30 points
    03. David Arnold - StarGate - 29 points
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line - 29 points

05. James Newton Howard - Dinosaur - 28 points
    06. James Horner - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 27 points
    James Newton Howard - Signs - 27 points
    08. David Arnold - Godzilla - 26 points
    Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 26 points
    10. Trevor Jones - The Last of the Mohicans - 25 points
    Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian - 25 points

Basil at joint 10? - shameful!

Goldsmith's genius score below 3 David Arnold's?
    ....hahahahahaha! biggrin rolleyes

I could say more but whaddever! rolleyes
  10. I see where you´re coming from. I´m thinking about introducing some kind of modificator into this top ten list to reflect the number of voters. On the other hand, there is something about it. For example, 30 points to ID4 means enough people were interested to vote for Arnold and found that score to be so great it deserved first place. One might argue its rank within the top ten, but I believe it has a rightful place there, regardless of the position. I´m not so sure about Dinosaur, though... I still can´t believe it´s the top JNH score at the moment.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I see where you´re coming from. I´m thinking about introducing some kind of modificator into this top ten list to reflect the number of voters. On the other hand, there is something about it. For example, 30 points to ID4 means enough people were interested to vote for Arnold and found that score to be so great it deserved first place. One might argue its rank within the top ten, but I believe it has a rightful place there, regardless of the position. I´m not so sure about Dinosaur, though... I still can´t believe it´s the top JNH score at the moment.

No John Williams? No John Barry? No Ennio Morricone?....I could go on.

I'll try not to take any of it seriously though. I was in a "cheesed off" mood last night after losing a Pool competition....one easily potted black ball away from a £40 jackpot and I fluffed it! angry slant
  11. Well, it´s obvious that Williams & Co. suffer from their wide range of great scores. Votes are devided among them, and that makes it harder for a single score to shine through. I thought the fact that they have more people voting for them might change that a bit, but obviously it´s not enough to help get them through. I have another idea, though, that might help... give me a bit of time, then, I´ll work it out.
  12. I´m still busy adding the dates of the old votes. I´ve added everything from February 5th and later, as well as dates from the composer´s topics of John Williams and Hans Zimmer. More to come soon.
    • CommentAuthordwtjac006
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    Hi there

My choices:

James Newton Howard -
    1) Lady in the Water
    2) Signs
    3) The Village/King Kong

John Williams -
    Memoirs of A Geisha
    Jurassic Park
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban