• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Steven wrote

I think a few might. Zimmer would I think,

I strongly doubt that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nobody (well apart Marc Shaiman obviously) would EVER answer such a question in a non-standard, non-professional, honest way. smile

Then bring Shaiman to Madrid or Úbeda. Me wanna ask!

But the thing is you´re right. Not exactly the same, but last summer in Úbeda I attended the Ray Costa conference, where he was taling about marketing and public relations and its relation to film music, and I asked him: "Who is the master of public relations that has made possible that Gustavo Santaolalla has been nominated for two Oscar and made him won them both?" He responded everything but the question. rolleyes So I´m afraid nobody in the industry (apart Shaiman) can speak what he really thinks.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    And James Horner biggrin Remember the "THE NEW WORLD was my worst ever experience and Gabriel Yared can't write a single note" interview? biggrin

Wow, that´s true, how can one forget that interview. I think Horner was honest to the bone (or he didn´t want to talk to Yared anymore).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    They won't 'cause they want to get hired and payed, that's the big (sometimes ugly) truth. And i completely understand that, i wouldn't talk shit for anyone who has previously hired me for anything either if i was in their shoes 'cause you never know who you might offend and of course you DO want them to ring you up the next time they have another project (regardless if crap or not) and hand you over the big fat check! That's business, that's being professional, you just look at your job, try to be yourself up to the extend possible each time but most importantly try and focus at your job, do it as good as possible. Emotionalisms and too much honesty don't go with professionalism at all, unfortunately, and Zimmer - as mentioned above, being (possibly) the top professional film music has at the very moment, would never express himself in a way that would hurt his business image amidst his colleagues. I am pretty sure about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Besides, composers never know really; a director can direct a crappy film, but who says his next project won´t be THE film? If that´s the case, the composer will love to work for him again.
    So, as you say, the thing is being the more professional possible, do the job and wait for the next call.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Some good examples here, like Waterworld.

From what I understand the same could be said about I am Legend. I have only seen the movie but the score seems great on album?

What about Klaus Badelts The Time Machine... The movie ruined my experience of the score for a while.

What about Starship Troopers... Ridiculous movie.

What about Yareds Troy... good score for a bad bland movie. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote

To me the movie is mega-crap; but i didn't appreciate the score way more either.

From what I understand the same could be said about I am Legend. I have only seen the movie but the score seems great on album?

Although i haven't personally seen it yet, from what i gather from people's input, this actually can't be said 'cause there is little to very minimal use of the music in the film, despite the excellent score album they've put together.

Agree. I'd rephrase to: brilliant score for a crap movie wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    X-Men III: The Last Stand! Horrible movie, and I only went to see it for the score! Of course, the cinema where I saw it had some kind of crap soundsystem, so I didn't enjoy it at all... but the album is nice smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I don't think a bad film can be made good just because of the music. To me, a good film is one which excels in all technical and narrative aspects and therefore I don't feel that the music can save one. However if this is just a case of "bad film / good music" then...

LADY IN THE WATER
    WYATT EARP
    THE POSTMAN
    WATERWORLD

I'll add more when I think of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    LSH wrote
    I don't think a bad film can be made good just because of the music. To me, a good film is one which excels in all technical and narrative aspects and therefore I don't feel that the music can save one. .

Yeah, well put, I agree!

But this is indeed a bad film / good music topic and I think we, score nuts, are actually capable of sitting through an entire horrible movie because we love the music. So looking at it that way it makes the whole experience just a little bit better.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregje wrote
    ... I think we, score nuts, are actually capable of sitting through an entire horrible movie because we love the music.

That is so true, LOL!!

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Cody Banks...by far! wink

As for Cody Banks 2....an awful film made even worse by awful music! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    Bregje wrote
    ... I think we, score nuts, are actually capable of sitting through an entire horrible movie because we love the music.

That is so true, LOL!!

biggrin

Exactly. I can't even remember how many shitty movies i went through just because i loved the score. And as for a good score making the movie better, i strongly disagree that it actually can't happen. Maybe the key-phrase is the "making it better" one here but if you think of the musical score as a very strong technical and aesthetic aspect of the movie, then it CAN have a huge impact on the overall quality of the movie and of course it CAN enhance it; just like good direction or good photography would enhance it in a similar way. Do you actually disagree with that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    And James Horner biggrin Remember the "THE NEW WORLD was my worst ever experience and Gabriel Yared can't write a single note" interview? biggrin

Like "magician" David Copperfield he was talking out of his arse! moon
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote

What about Klaus Badelts The Time Machine... The movie ruined my experience of the score for a while.

What about Starship Troopers... Ridiculous movie.

Starship Troopers is BRILLIANT! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I don't think a bad film can be made good just because of the music. To me, a good film is one which excels in all technical and narrative aspects and therefore I don't feel that the music can save one. However if this is just a case of "bad film / good music" then...

LADY IN THE WATER
    WYATT EARP
    THE POSTMAN
    WATERWORLD

I'll add more when I think of them.

Wyatt Earp was a good intelligently made Western, far better than Tombstone which came out the same year though admittedly not as good fun.

The Postman?....Yeah, that really was BAD!

Waterworld? Not that good but I always find it watchable! JNH's score to this isn't that great anyway.

Haven't seen or heard Lady In The Water.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I actually agree with Demetris - a score can never really improve the film, it can only improve the chances of you seeing it. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I said it CAN improve it wink
  1. Actually, you can force yourself to look at the whole instead of just the story, character dialogue and background music separately. I do this with all my watching. At the end, if a movie sucked its because I hated most or all aspects of the movie. If there is one redeeming quality in the movie, that can make the overall experience more watchable. That's true for me at least.

I just sat through the drivel called Ultraviolet... Not exactly engaging sci-fi film with horrible effects and flat one-dimensional characters, however the look of it all is great, I don't know how they created that soft saturated look, colors look phenominal in this movie. And I quite liked Klaus Badelt's score as well. Didn't expect to really, but there were some cool moments. So there you have two good elements against many bad ones, it makes the movie just a little less awful, I would have turned it off after twenty minutes if not for these elements... But I do not intend to see it again.

So in the end it all depends on the person and his personal ideas of how movies should be interpreted. Film music fans will definitely take the music into account, everybody else will just ignore it completely when evaluating what they just saw.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    I said it CAN improve it wink

I actually disagree with Demetris - a score can never really improve the film, it can only improve the chances of you seeing it. tongue

Happy now? cheesy tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    Photography, visual effects, acting, music, etc can indeed make a film more watchable but if most of these boxes aren't ticked where necessary or if they don't compliment each other very well, it isn't a good movie in my books. So it does make sense that music can improve a movie but not to the extent where it becomes good. That's all I was trying to say.

It is a difficult argument because, personally, I like all the elements in a film to work together to provide the overall experience. Great acting to convince, beautiful photography at which to gaze, a story to provoke and of course a suitable musical accompaniment. It's also amazing how much better the music can be when the other boxes are ticked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    It's also amazing how much better the music can be when the other boxes are ticked.

Although i get your point of inter-enhancement, rarely do i watch the movies of the whole lot of scores i am listening to as well so it's not something that has to happen necessarily for me in order to enjoy the music. Yes it can improve the overall experience when you do watch the movie as well but it's not necessary at any case, in my books. Oh and the contrasting scenario can also happen; when you watch a bad movie, your musical experience might be spoiled too. But it's all in our heads eventually combined with how musical and self-coherent an original score is in its own terms, away from the visuals it accompanies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yeah I'm really confusing myself over this. Unnecessarily.

spin

Let's just get some more examples...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There truely are some scores though that you LOVE to listen to on CD and when you watch the movie it's as if it's directed to fit round the music rather than the other way around. I love watching John Williams movies (especially Star Wars) as the music just elevates it to a completly different level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Well there is one example of a film I absolutely hate and the music still did nothing to enhance the experience. I do love the scores by themselves though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Waterworld? Not that good but I always find it watchable! JNH's score to this isn't that great anyway.

I agree. It's such a campy, fun ride with some thrilling action sequences, great photography and AWESOME sets. I also particularly like the growing relationship between The Mariner and the young girl. And the score is wonderful. And how can you not like a film was an over the top bad ass, Dennis Hooper!

"If I ever see him again, I'm going to cut open his head and eat his brain. "

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Agree with you there, too. Great satire on the war film and a simple tongue-in-cheek action film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Agree with you there, too. Great satire on the war film and a simple tongue-in-cheek action film.

-Erik-

Exactly! smile
  2. I think the question is not such whether music can make a bad film good, but what proportion of a film's success comes from its music. I would count THE RED VIOLIN as an average film, a bit silly in some respects, but if you are keyed into Corigliano's score, it's absolutely riveting. That score goes a long way towards bestowing some sense of conviction and timelessness on an otherwise unremarkable piece.

And I think STARSHIP TROOPERS is great too. I love that the actors hardly seem to be in on it, particularly the younger ones. cheesy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and the contrasting scenario can also happen; when you watch a bad movie, your musical experience might be spoiled too. But it's all in our heads eventually combined with how musical and self-coherent an original score is in its own terms, away from the visuals it accompanies.

Best example: The Promise, while okay on CD, not the masterpiece like my brother likes to call it, it does not work at all in the movie, it's just plain silly when supporting these strange happenings and ridiculous jumps in the plot. Badelt's score is also very badly mixed, obscured by the sound effects, which does not help. Maybe it's me but the nice soundtrack does not help the movie in this case. It's just as bad with or without it. A major letdown, because the trailer 'promised' so much good.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.