• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016 edited
    What are the main film music events of the year that one should try to attend?

I'm thinking about Krakow and Ghent, as always (but Krakow may collide with Cannes this year for me), depending a bit on guests.

Then it's one of the Hans Zimmer concerts, even though they are insanely expensive. I really want to attend one of those.

I'm passing on the Morricone concerts, and anything in the US (even though Williams is set to hold several concerts over there, as well as the AFI thing in June).

The Ubeda festival is back, and everyone has spoken so warmly about that. I really want to go, but preferably as part of a bigger trip with friends.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016 edited
    You go to Cannes?

I go to the Tyler concert in London in May, and the group of people attending from here seems to be quite a good bunch! In June there's the Morricone concert in Gent. And of course there's the Film Fest Gent. No other trips this year I think.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016
    Yes, I think I'll go to Cannes for two weeks during the festival (probably from May 11th to 22nd). I have airfare, accomodation and accreditation covered, and "only" have to pay for food, drinks and living (which of course may be very expensive all on its own, since it's the Riviera).

Wish I could go to the Tyler gig in London -- I would have gone MORE for hanging out with you guys than for the concert, since I'm rather indifferent to the man's music -- but alas, it's always a money issue.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I've got tickets for the Zimmer concert in Berlin on April 20th...it'll only be the third film music event I've ever been to though (after David Arnold's Concert for Care in London in October 2010 and the Morricone concert last year).
  2. Our local philharmonic orchestra will perform it's annual film music concert tomorrow. They are playing three nights, in a rather small venue, but all three are sold out. A srictly local affair, but it's fun every year.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017
    Bumping this again.

I'm trying to plan my fall in terms of film music events.

I'm probably going to skip Ghent this year (both the mid-week aspect and the fact that it's jazz-heavy are elements that don't trigger me that much), and put all my cards on Hollywood in Vienna on September 28th (w/Danny Elfman).

But what other things are there of note, preferably in Europe?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    My fall calendar is except for Fimucite (that clashes with Vienna) only concerts. Festivals will start again in April with Prague for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to go to Fimucité this year either. It's too far and expensive.

Airfares and hotels for Vienna are getting expensive too, I notice. But I'm not going unless I get the opportunity to interview Elfman. Waiting for a response in that regard.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017
    I think i'll only attend WSA. I just read they're going to play the La La Land Suite, so that's very cool! And then there's also Terence Blanchard and David Shire.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ugh. LA LA LAND. Didn't care for movie or score. Blanchard and Shire are cool composers, but I have no particular "closeness" to either. If I went, it would be 90% for the social stuff, and I can do that any time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    WSA is during the week now :-/ Personally, the program and guests really have to be excellent to spend vacation days on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Vienna is expensive! Both flying there and back, and accomodation that is at least remotely central. Checking now.

Anyone care to share a 2-room apartment or something with me?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Ugh. LA LA LAND. Didn't care for movie or score. Blanchard and Shire are cool composers, but I have no particular "closeness" to either. If I went, it would be 90% for the social stuff, and I can do that any time.

Me neither. Lasted 15 minutes into the movie and turned it off. Score, i heard it once and deleted it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. That was my favorite score from last year. I can't think of a funner score that's come out in the last five years than LA LA LAND!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it was pretty universally praised. Which just made me dislike it more.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017 edited
    I quite liked it but there is one track I absolutely love, The Engagement Party. It's only a minute and a half long but it has a beautiful warm bitter sweet sound.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017
    Didn't find anything to like off movie and score I am afraid. Totally unrealistic saccharine stuff, out of this world.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017
    You are all heartless people!

Even without the hype and me not liking the movie as much as all the rest, I still adore the score. Very catchy themes and just lovely, happy music! And the End Credits and Suite are fantastic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2017 edited
    I heard a La La Land suite in Krakow, it was pleasant to listen to. But a whole album is a "meh" from me.
  4. Thor wrote
    Yeah, it was pretty universally praised. Which just made me dislike it more.

Hipster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2018 edited
    So, does anyone have an overview of the events this year? I'm talking major events; I'm aware that http://moviesinconcert.nl/ has a lot of everything, but I'd like a more narrow overview.

These are the things I have on my list, to consider:

Prague - April 19-24
    Krakow - May 29-June 6
    Goldenthal/Dublin - June 8
    Fimucité - September 21-29
    WSA - October 17
    Hollywood In Vienna - October 18-19
    Grand Scores/Croatia - October 21
    John Williams/London - October 26
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2018
    NOT going to Dublin/WSA Croatia.

A Maybe for Vienna.

:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018 edited
    A decision has been made.

I'm going to the Camille Awards in Pula, Croatia - October 18-22 (since I was in the Norwegian jury, I feel obliged -- and I get most of the airfare and accomodation covered). Then Williams in London from October 25-28.

That's it.

This means I will be skipping both Ghent and Zimmer in Vienna (even if the chances of getting an interview this year was high). Also skipping Williams in Vienna in November.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2018
    Yeah, I looked into Pula, I need to go there someday. I will see you in London!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2018
    Absolutely.

I don't understand why all the film music festival/event organizers have to jam EVERYTHING into the month of October!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018
    Not going to Pula (which I should) and Gent (which I also should), so it is pretty relaxing month :-)

Gent NEEDS to go back to weekends.