• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    Sakamoto is a great composer. "Wuthering heights" is a beautiful score, and the 2 films for Brian de Palma are fantastics
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Mike Post and/or Peter Carpenter! cheesy

I certainly would have supported that (for whatever the hell that is worth wink ). They shaped the sound of a (tv watching) generation!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    The new venue, Capitole, looks a lot more intimate. Have you been there Bregt, Thomas??
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nope. Should be better than Kuipke. It's also more central as well.

Where are you staying btw?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    Not booked anywhere yet. Stayed at the NH last year which was nice but not worth the money. The girlfriend will want something much-above-average. I hear good things about the Marriott and Carlton?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    LSH wrote
    Not booked anywhere yet. Stayed at the NH last year which was nice but not worth the money. The girlfriend will want something much-above-average. I hear good things about the Marriott and Carlton?

Ooooooh....fancy schmanzy, eh?

I will not be able to book anything -- whether flights or hotels -- untill September, at the earliest. Too many variables. Unfortunately, RyanAir is closing business in Norway, so I'm worried about the new flight costs. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt, what was the name of the bar we all went to after the concert last year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016 edited
    LSH wrote

That is fancy stuff. There's also Reylof, where all the composers were staying last year. Couldn't pay it myself! But great choice. Mariott especially has a great inner hall.

LSH wrote
    Bregt, what was the name of the bar we all went to after the concert last year?

The bar with 58 taps? Café Rock Circus close to Sint Peters Square. A bit out of the center but right in the students area. Or the bar where most of the composers were; Hotsi Totsi.

I won't be living in Gent anymore by then but could stay where I lived previously for a night or two.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016 edited
    I've now asked for press accreditation (as well as interview requests). No response yet, but maybe I'm too early.

This edition's "midweek" timeslot may prove to be an obstacle (not to mention RyanAir's cancellation of cheap flights from Norway) -- there are certain variables that may enter and ruin the whole thing -- but I'm crossing all fingers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am unable to attend the concert this year, which means I have two VIP tickets available if anybody wants to buy them from me?

PM if interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016
    Sorry to hear that, Lee. Does that also mean you're not coming to Ghent at all?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited
    Yep, me and my girlfriend have just broken up and I'm really scraping as much cash as I can to afford the transition. If nobody is interested, I might still come by myself - which, at the very least, means one ticket available!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited
    Oh shit Lee, sorry to hear about the break up. sad

I'll ask around regarding the VIP tickets (concert on Wednesday?). Or put it on Facebook so that I can share the post.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016
    THE NOMINEES ARE:

Film Composer of the Year:
    Carter Burwell: ‘Anomalisa’, ‘Hail Caesar!’, ‘Legend’, ‘The Family Fang’, ‘The Finest Hours’, 'Carol'

Daniel Pemberton: ‘Mal de pierres’, ‘Steve Jobs’, ‘The Man from U.N.C.L.E.’

Ennio Morricone: ‘En mai fais ce qu’il te plaît’, ‘La Corrispondenza’, ‘The Hateful Eight’

John Williams: ‘Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens’, ‘The BFG’

Thomas Newman: ‘Bridge of Spies’, ‘Finding Dory’, ‘Spectre’

Best TV Composer:

Jeff Beal: ‘House of Cards’

Sean Callery: ‘Bones’, ‘Elementary’, ‘Homeland’, ‘Jessica Jones’, ‘Minority Report

Ramin Djawadi: ‘Game of Thrones’, ‘Person of Interest’, ‘The Strain’, ‘Westworld’

Bear McCreary: ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’, ‘Black Sails’, ‘Damien’, ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’, ‘Outlander’, ‘The Walking Dead’

Mac Quayle: ‘American Crime Story’, ‘American Horrorhttp://www.filmfestival.be/en Story’, ‘Mr. Robot’

Best Original Song written directly for a film:

Better When I’m Dancin’ from ‘The Peanuts Movie’ Music & Lyrics by Meghan Trainor & Thaddeus Dixon Performed by Meghan Trainor

Hypnosis from ‘Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet’ Music & lyrics by Damien Rice Performed by Damien Rice

None of them Are You from ‘Anomalisa’ Music & lyrics by Carter Burwell & Charlie Kaufman Performed by Tom Noonan

True Love Avenue from: ‘Jenny’s Wedding’ Music & lyrics by Brian Byrne & Kasey Jones Performed by Kristina Train

Writing’s On The Wall from ‘Spectre’ Music & lyrics by Sam Smith & James Napier Performed by Sam Smith
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016
    Good selection, for once, and my heart rejoices that Desplat isn't nominated yet another time. It was turning out to be a farce.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Good selection, for once, and my heart rejoices that Desplat isn't nominated yet another time. It was turning out to be a farce.

Hahahahaha, true!
    I don't think Morricone, Williams or Newman will be present but I hope for Burwell. He doesn't show up very often
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016
    My 2 VIP tickets for the WSA Gala are for sale on TicketSwap.com, for anyone interested...

https://www.ticketswap.com/listing/worl … 737bcc4a33
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016
    The nominees for Discovery of 2016 are:
    - Bear McCreary: For ’10 Cloverfield Lane’ & ‘The Boy’
    - Ben Lovett: For ‘Synchronicity’
    - Joe Kraemer: For ‘Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation’
    - Nicolas Britell: For ‘The Big Short’
    - Matthew Margeson: For ‘Eddie the Eagle’

These are the 5 scores that were most voted for (Public Choice Awards)
    - ‘Carol’ by Carter Burwell
    - ‘Eddie the Eagle’ by Matthew Margeson
    - ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ by John Williams
    - ‘The Hateful Eight’ by Ennio Morricone
    - ‘The Man from U.N.C.L.E.’ by Daniel Pemberton
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016
    Bear McCreary a discovery of 2016?!? He's only, like, been the biggest TV composer for a decade now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016 edited
    I think some of the "professionals" live under rocks.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Reeks more like politics. McCreary will be there, or they're trying to get him there, so of course he needs to get a prize, whatever it is. "Discovery of the Year"......ha! Why didn't they just as well nominate this guy called Ennio Morricone? He had a little something called THE HATEFUL EIGHT last year. I'm sure that will launch a brilliant career for him.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Finally a "public choice awards" roster that seems like an actual public could have come up with. But yeah, calling McCreary a "discovery" at this point is pretty laughable. Joe Kraemer's been around for a long time as well, but not very busy and Ghost Protocol did up his profile considerably, so I'm willing to give that one a pass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Finally a "public choice awards" roster that seems like an actual public could have come up with.

Note that last year there was one or 2 popular Belgian movies in the Public Choice Awards selection, and since this is still a Belgian event, it might explain the odd choices then...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2016
    Then it's confirmed: There will be NO Ghent for me this year. A combination of health and money issues.

Still, I hope I'll be able to attend another film music event again soon. I haven't done that since Berlin in February. It's been an unusually meager year as far as travelling is concerned.

A bit of a shame, because although the programme this year (TV music) wasn't that exciting, the prospect of interviewing composers like David Arnold, Max Richter and maybe even Ryuichi Sakamoto was tantalizing indeed. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sad

I also feel it will be a rather unfestive year. No touring and guiding around some of you, no drinking or fine dinners, no karaoke night, ... I attend the Gala on Wednesday because I like the awards part with the Lifetime Achievement Award musical selection etc. But Thomas, Mario, Elin and co go on Thursday to the concert... I also don't live in Gent anymore so that makes it all a bit a downer this year. If it would've been hosted in the weekend, I certainly would have stayed in the city for a few days.

It's defenitely going to be very different.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Sorry to hear it guys! I really hope it will go back to a weekend in the near future!
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016
    Has anyone got the details for the Meet&Greet?
    They sent an invitation on 5/10 but still no communication was made
    I was very fast to reply so I cannot imagine I was left out
    I guess they have not sent any communication at all
    Do you guys have any feedback or try to find out something more from WSA?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016
    Absolute last chance for anybody who wants a ticket of two! Bit disappointed I haven't been able to sell them but I'll take any offer now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
    Dennis wrote
    Has anyone got the details for the Meet&Greet?
    They sent an invitation on 5/10 but still no communication was made
    I was very fast to reply so I cannot imagine I was left out
    I guess they have not sent any communication at all
    Do you guys have any feedback or try to find out something more from WSA?

I can't join so I don't know. I would contact them again, or even call them.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2016
    And the winners
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … -2016/2147

Another really good edition. Very varied selection with many highlights and lots of performances of the composers themselves. The new venue was much better than the hall from the recent years, though it clearly was not too spacy to get the orchestra and choir and soloists on the stage.

And I don't want to hear the criticism anymore that only composers who attend get an award. That arely happened the past years, and yesterday only a few composers were able to get the award themselves. And Desplat didn't even win anything! wink

More later.
    Kazoo