• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016 edited
    PROGRAMME 2016

World Soundtrack Awards Gala
    Wednesday October 19th in the Capitole

At the Award Ceremony of the World Soundtrack Awards Gala a new award will be introduced: Best Original Score for Television Series & Miniseries. Following the Award Ceremony, a concert will celebrate the best scores for contemporary TV-series, from House of Cards to Fargo, from Homeland to The Leftovers, from Sherlock to Mad Men. And this in the presence of many composers and film music professionals.

World Soundtrack Awards Concert
    Thursday October 20th in the Capitole

The WSA Concert will skip the Award Ceremony but reprise the concert of the best scores for contemporary TV-series. And in an additional special program we look back at the thrilling scores and tunes of legendary series from our youth, from cult-hits to award-winning masterpieces, from Dallas to Mission Impossible, from Star Trek to The Untouchables, from The Man from U.N.C.L.E. to Dynasty.

More events to be announced.

No concert on Saturday due to planning and budget cuts.

FILM FEST GENT CELEBRATES TELEVISION MUSIC, INTRODUCING NEW AWARD BEST SCORE FOR TELEVISION SERIES/MINISERIES FOR THE 16th WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS

Held on October 19th, the World Soundtrack Awards will celebrate its 16th edition focusing on television scores this year. Brussels Philharmonic and the Flemish Radio Choir will perform the compelling scores, conducted by Dirk Brossé and accompanied by film fragments on the big screen. The traditional film music concert will be held during the second part of the World Soundtrack Awards and will, for the first time, be repeated the day after the WSAwards Gala on Oct 20th.

It’s a dilemma we all have experienced: go to bed or watch another episode. House of Cards, Game of Thrones, The Americans, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, Fargo, The Leftovers, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Borgen, The Killing, The Walking Dead, Les Revenants… ‘The list is simply endless,’ says artistic director Patrick Duynslaegher. ‘We’re in a unique, unprecedented position. There’s so much good and great to chose from in this new Golden Age of TV, that’s attracting high-profile directors, writers and actors, but also composers. Now that television series have developed ever more sophisticated storytelling to match anything in cinema, we want to recognize the contribution of the composer to this exciting and addictive art form.’

Therefore the 16th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards will showcase the music composed for the most outstanding television shows and is this year split up in two different programs: the World Soundtrack Awards Gala on Wednesday October 19th, and the WSA Concert on Thursday October 20th. Both music events will take place in a new and prestigious venue, the Capitole, an iconic neo-classical theatre in the historical city of Ghent where a lot of show-bizz greats have performed.

At the Award Ceremony of the World Soundtrack Awards Gala a new award will be introduced: Best Original Score for Television Series & Miniseries. Following the Award Ceremony, a concert will celebrate the best scores for contemporary TV-series, from House of Cards to Fargo, from Homeland to The Leftovers, from Sherlock to Mad Men. And this in the presence of many composers and film music professionals.

Next day the WSA Concert will skip the Award Ceremony but reprise the concert of the best scores for contemporary TV-series. And in an additional special program we look back at the thrilling scores and tunes of legendary series from our youth, from cult-hits to award-winning masterpieces, from Dallas to Mission Impossible, from Star Trek to The Untouchables, from The Man from U.N.C.L.E. to Dynasty.

For both concert days the music will be performed by Brussels Philharmonic and the Flemish Radio Choir, conducted by maestro Dirk Brossé, accompanied by film clips projected on the big screen.

The celebration of Television Music and the introduction of a new award for Best Score for Television Series/Miniseries has already been enthousiastically received by the Television Academy professionals in Hollywood. ‘It is enormously exciting that the prestigious World Soundtrack Awards are now going to recognize excellence in television music. This is further evidence that we have entered a “platinum age” of television in which its quality and level of craftsmanship has never been better,’ said Michael A.Levine, ASCAP Film and Television Music Award-winning composer and Governor, Music Peer Group, Television Academy.

16th World Soundtrack Awards – Composed for Television @ Capitole Ghent
    Brussels Philharmonic and The Flemish Radio Choir conducted by Dirk Brossé
    19 October 2016 – World Soundtrack Awards Gala
    20 October 2016 – WSA Concert

Tickets are available through www.worldsoundtrackawards.com

#WSAwards #ffgent
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    What a strange choice to do it on Wednesday and change also the venue!
    Is the Capitole big enough?
    Besides, they start selling tickets without any announcement of guests etc
    Am I the only one a bit p!$$ed off ?
    However, I like this celebration of TV music smile
  1. It has become a footnote in the Festival... Next year they are done for!
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016
    You mean Gent film music fest isn't going very well?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Why do you think that? confused

I think it's great to have a new venue, and a much more suitable one. More info later.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    Please try to find out when is the press conference and where, although it is too early (last year they communicated the details in September!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Why do you think that? confused

I think it's great to have a new venue, and a much more suitable one. More info later.

Because somebody above said: "it has becaome a footnote in the festival..next year they are done for" maybe i misinterpreted this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No I meant to reply to Mario (digikleuter). He's a bit too negative.

Dennis wrote
    Please try to find out when is the press conference and where, although it is too early (last year they communicated the details in September!)

Yes they will organise a meet & greet (on Wednesday), and have some big names to announce later!
    Kazoo
  2. It has always been this great, big, nice ending of the festival and now it has been reduced to a weeknight
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    No I meant to reply to Mario (digikleuter). He's a bit too negative.

Dennis wrote

Yes they will organise a meet & greet (on Wednesday), and have some big names to announce later!

thanks, keep us posted. Its duration getting smaller and the festival changing with the times doesn't necessarily mean it's ... ending. Things change everywhere with the time, people. It's called: adjusting wink
  3. I don't know what they're planning with this move, but I guess we'll have to find out
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    thanks, keep us posted. Its duration getting smaller and the festival changing with the times doesn't necessarily mean it's ... ending. Things change everywhere with the time, people. It's called: adjusting wink

The film music concerts and WSA are part of the Film Fest Gent, which lasts 10 days. Nothing has changed. So two times WSA is more than ever. It is a bit unfortunate to have it during the week though. I wonder if there'll be a concert on Saturday to replace WSA.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    I think the concert of Thursday is the classic concert of Thursday before the Awards Ceremony!
    Has nothing to do with the Awards concert which is usually dedicated to the special guest (see Silvestri last year) and to the lifetime award winner
    So nothing has changed a part from the fact it is Wednesday and the concert hall is The Capitole:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016
    Watching TV is for weekdays, going to the movies is for weekends - so it makes sense to move the concert to a weekday, in a way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016 edited
    Well, I've booked my ticket and I can't think of a better week to say that I cannot wait to come back to Belgium.

Looking forward to meeting you all again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016
    Oh wow! That is very decisive! smile

What concert day did you choose?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016
    Already, Lee? It's WAAAY to early for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016 edited
    Yes it's early (wouldn't normally do this) but I'd rather book everything while I have some money. The last one nearly bankrupted me as I'd already booked my New York trip by then.

Plus, I always have an amazing time there so it doesn't really bother me.

EDIT: I was also a bit drunk last night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2016
    I asked if the composers will be present on Thursday concert too, and the organisation said they will encourage everyone to attend on Wednesday but it's up to the composer if they stay until Thursday.

The festival ends a day earlier, no more Saturday concert, due to budget cuts. This means no big concert in the weekend. Damn, budget cuts. Had to hit the music section of the festival one time... There will be announced some smaller concerts in the Vooruit though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    All of this is a bit confusing to me. I don't know when it starts and stops, what the contents are etc. Perusing the site or this thread doesn't make me much wiser.

So I think I'll wait untill I see a clear schedule of the whole programme this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sorry Thor.

In the top post of the thread I posted the programme so far. Note that WSA and other concerts are part of the Film Fest Gent, so that's why I said "festival ends a day earlier"...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2016 edited
    Thanks. What an odd programme. I mean, it's OK to focus on TV music, but I thought the WSA was a venue for celebrating film scores -- at least the MAIN focus. Also, it seems to be (more or less) the same concert programme on Wednesday and Thursday.

Would be weird to attend this during the weekdays, and leave before the weekend. Friday and Saturday evenings always have extra atmosphere with non-festival people going out as well.

These changes aside, I'm waiting to hear who the visiting composers will be.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016
    I hope this is a one off as I'm no fan of contemporary TV scoring and best of TV themes. I agree with Thor that I'm also taken aback by this "TV" theme for the WSA, especially given it encompasses the two concerts. Sounds like the WSA got stiffed this year, again I'm hoping this isn't permanent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016
    I guess in a way we should be thankful that the WSA is still going on, whatever the profile is. I'm aware of all the financial problems it's had, and that it was -- and maybe still is -- close to bankrupcy and cancellation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016
    WSA not in a weekend? That is rough for us Dutchies (and other europeans). I'll sit on it and wait for the program before I decide to take some precious vacation time for this concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    The Gala will be attended by JEFF RUSSO, SEAN CALLERY, JEFF BEAL, DAVID ARNOLD and MAX RICHTER.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    David Arnold! Now that's attractive. Max Richter too, but I doubt he'll do interviews. He seems a bit weary of such things.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016 edited
    Will there still be a 'central' guest as usual?

Also, if I think I'll have time, I may have a crack at the scoring competition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016 edited
    http://www.filmfestival.be/en/movie-blo … -2016/2921
    In addition to compelling live performances of David Arnold and Michael Price’s score for the BritishAmerican drama TV series Sherlock and Max Richter’s mysterious soundtrack from cult-drama series The Leftovers by Brussels Philharmonic and the Flemish Radio Choir, several composers will make their way to the stage for what is often the debut of their scores played live in front of an audience. American composer and arranger Jeff Russo will play drums during the live performance of his Emmy nominated music from Fargo. Sean Callery, best known from his suspense-driven scores on TV-series 24 and Homeland will perform piano on the latter. For the performance of his score and theme for Netflix drama House of Cards, composer Jeff Beal will take the stage.

This is regarding the Gala on Wednesday. I don't know if they will perform or attend on Thursday's concert. I think I'll go for the WSA Gala on Wednesday then.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016
    That's what I've gone for.