• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. While browsing through the Recent Viewing topic, I just got this idea. Why don't we put the scores in the order from best to least good (as there can be no worst when Williams is concerned).

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Force Awakens

Nothing will ever top the original three. But the order there in is how I prefer them (in complete form). To put ANH third doesn't mean I like it less than TESB. Well maybe a teeny tiny bit less. smile

As for the prequels, TPM is king, just a well rounded score with Williams still at the top of his game. A fun, adventurous romp.

That started to fade away a bit with AOTC and ROTS, but they're still good. They each have moments that shine, but AOTC not as much.

The one lagging behind is the one that completely fails to grab me. I won't go into detail except to say that it leaves me a bit cold every time the CD has ended. Some cues are good, but there's no brilliance like with the original 3. I'm in the minority here, but that's what it is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016 edited
    My list doesn't look very differently from yours, Gilles:

1. RETURN OF THE JEDI
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Force Awakens
    I am extremely serious.
  2. 1. Star Wars
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. The Phantom Menace
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I just got this idea. Why don't we put the scores in the order from best to least good (as there can be no worst when Williams is concerned).

One thing's for sure: this is the first time this has ever happened in the history of online film forums.
  3. We'll be able to add up the results once enough posts have been made and give points.

I'm fairly sure THAT has never been done before !!! cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. 1. Return of the Jedi
    All the themes of the classic trilogy flow organically together in one symphonic masterpiece. My personal highlight is the 45 second theme that accompanies the climactic duel "The Dark Side Beckons". The brief theme is hinted at after Joda's death and a variation is heard in "Battle of the Heroes". I love the Ewoks and the music that accompanies them. I know, not everybody does, but I do.

"The Imperial March". This alone would elevate this score into eternity. This score flows over with brilliant ideas. It also contains my favourite end title suite. "Han Solo and the Princess" and "Lando's Pallace" are but two more of many highlights. When listened to in its entirety the omnipresence of the March becomes a bit too much for me.

3. A New Hope
    One of many strong features of this score is the action scoring inspired by Stravinsky and others. The title theme, "Leia's Theme", the theme of the Force. What a brilliant score!

4. The Phantom Menace
    Massive choir when this became fashionable in film music. I love "Duel of the Fates" but there are also many other highlights. This is about decay, not about rebellion and resurrection and the score reflects that.

5. The Force Awakens
    In my view the most restraint and lyrical of all SW scores. From all original album programs this one has the greatest flow. I adore the multi layered deepness of the music. Williams doesn't have the proof anything any more. This album does not aim for radio play, yet it radiates experience and love. This score is like a love letter to that galaxy far, far away.

6. Revenge of the Sith
    A bit uneven this album is, and its overall flow isn't very good. "Battle of the Heroes" is a centrepiece but in comparison with "Duel of the Fates" it seems a bit forced. "Anakin's Betrayal", "Padme's Ruminations" and "Anakin's Dark Deeds" I count among the best Star Wars music ever. I love the nod towards "Lord of the Rings". I hate the album's end suite.

7. Attack of the Clones
    This is not as bad IMO as many say it is. Still, sometimes the action underscoring seems random and uninspired, it does not compare to the original score in this regard. Some of the problems again lies in how the album was compiled. Does an E-guitar belong in a Star Wars score? Williams applied a Moog synthesizer in "Jedi" and I liked that much better. Anyhow, the love theme, "Across the Stars", inspired maybe by Rota's reflection on forbidden love, is a stroke of genius.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Great post Captain... or how the need to share our feelings on mutual passions is always worth it.

Strange about the great flow you feel in TFA, because I don't feel it at all. I hear a bunch of ideas stitched together without any sort of musical storytelling going on. But that's just me. I doubt that watching the film will make me appreciate it. It's the shift in style from what came before musically that doesn't sit right with me.

Concerning EP. 4-5-6, for me it's the 2-disc releases or nothing at all. I just adore these complete presentations. The flow in those is perfect. I listened a few times to the 1-disc releases in that rectangular boxset, but I always feel like a big chunk is missing that I desperately need whenever I want to listen to Star Wars.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Strange about the great flow you feel in TFA, because I don't feel it at all. I hear a bunch of ideas stitched together without any sort of musical storytelling going on.

This is how I feel with a lot of Return of the Jedi as well as The Force Awakens. It's not an opinion I have for all of each of these scores, but there are times where the cutting-and-pasting of previously-familiar themes (with familiar orchestrations) seems haphazard and downright lazy in places (though this latter feel may be down to limited time available to spend as long as was necessary on the music).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I'd like to add that I am hard pressed to rank "The Force Awakens" against "A Phantom Menace". This practically is a draw.

Concerning the classic trilogy, as many others, I prefer the Fox/Arista release. I would not want to miss the archival releases, especially the liner notes my Mike Matessino.

When I compared "The Force Awakens" to the other original album presentations, in case of the classic trilogy I referred to the RSO/Polydor releases.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016
    1. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi
    2. Shadows Of The Empire
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Across The Stars
    4.5 Phantoms and Sith
    1138. Clones

I have spoken.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm. A fine list. Favourite non-John Williams Star Wars scores:

1. Shadows of the Empire - Joel McNeely
    2. Star Wars Battlefront Gordy Haab (needs a proper album)
    3. Star Wars Kinect - Gordy Haab (needs a proper album...sort of has one)
    4. Star Wars The Force Unleashed (has a proper album)
    5. Star Wars The Force Unleashed II (has one too)
    6. Lair - John Debney
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Number 6 is a most laudable addition.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    1. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi

Agreed!

2. The Phantom Menace
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016
    1. Star Wars
    3. Return of The Jedi
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Revenge of The Sith
    6. Attack of The Clones
    7. The Force Awakens
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Steven wrote
    Hmm. A fine list. Favourite non-John Williams Star Wars scores:

1. Shadows of the Empire - Joel McNeely
    2. Star Wars Battlefront Gordy Haab (needs a proper album)
    3. Star Wars Kinect - Gordy Haab (needs a proper album...sort of has one)
    4. Star Wars The Force Unleashed (has a proper album)
    5. Star Wars The Force Unleashed II (has one too)
    6. Lair - John Debney

Shadows of the Empire is fantastic

Gordy Haab has done some excellent stuff on The Old Republic along with Mark Griskey, Lennie Moore and 2 other guys I believe. Along with McNeely's effort, my favorite non-Williams music inspired by the space opera. The official album sucks, one needs to compile a set of cues from the gamerip, which holds some spectacular material.

Kinect is excellent too, but as it's constant action music, it can get a bit tiring after a while. Best heard in small doses.
  10. 1: Return of the Jedi
    2: The Empire Strikes Back
    3: Star Wars: A New Hope
    4: The Phantom Menace
    5: Revenge of the Sith
    6: Attack of the Clones

I'll decide on The Force Awakens after I heard its effect in the film. Yes, I'm also one of the few who hasn't seen it yet. But normally it will be in between 4 and 6
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Hi, I'm Gilles from parallel universe #14.

Very odd, we seem to share the same username but my picks for favorite Star Wars scores are actually very different. You see we do not have 7 Star Wars films so far, we have 13 already because in our universe George Lucas never met Steven Spielberg who became a huge broadway star, so Lucas wasn't sidetracked with those silly adventure films and that godawful flick starring a midget and a baby like your George Lucas has. And I'm so happy about that. Also a man named Walt Disney doesn't exist here, so old George just kept on making movies, and only his vision counted. Though the films have all sucked apart from the first made in 1971, all the scores by John Williams the famous guitarist have been mostly excellent, apart from Episode XI which is a score consisting of hideous Jar Jar Binks sounds and dialogue. That one is my least favorite of the bunch, because it was a radical departure from the usual lyrical guitar cues.

So these are my preferred, ranked top to bottom:

1. Episode VI - Citizen Darth
    2. Episode IX - Some Like Leia Hot
    3. Episode II - It's a Forceful Life
    4. Episode IV - The Maltese Millennium Falcon
    5. Episode XII - To Be Doomed or Not to Be Doomed
    6. Episode III - Gone with the Jedi
    7. Episode I - Rebels Without a Cause
    8. Episode X - The Day the Death Star Stood Still
    9. Episode VIII - Breakfast at Han Solo's
    10. Episode V - Luke of Arabia
    11. Episode XIII - One Flew Over the Wookie's Nest
    12. Episode VII - All Quiet on the Dark Side Front
    13. Episode XI - To Kill a Mocking Binks

Bye everyone ! wave