• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    You've seen the other thread ; now this is the complete other end.

I get you the first example, open for discussion of course, like everything else is.

MICHAEL CLAYTON

Hailed by many as one of the cleverest and most engaging films of 2007, still it is cursed with a terrible snooz-fest that is James Newton Howard's drone. In fact it is so bad some people thought of comforting the pain a bit with an Oscar nomination for Best Original Score. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And another example:

Whether someone's taste or not, the movie totally kicks ass! The direction and photography is top-notch, the sfx and general picture effects are breathtaking, the action is solid, the story is (with the necessary comic exaggerations excluded) particularly faithful to the historic events portrayed and the whole Hollywood f*ck-yeah macho fest smells adrenaline from a mile away, endless FUN pouring all over the place! Now, instead of having a composer with BALLS banging the musical hell out of it, they brought Tyler Bates in with a couple of electric guitars on metal distortion and drums with ethnic percussion and wind instruments which - although very unoriginal, come along as admittedly very fitting and with a very good sound. Still, everything is completely torn apart and blasted by the shameless note-2-note Goldenthal (TITUS) and that Balkan folk song rip-offs that dominate every single moment in which the banging heavy metal ceases for a brief minute or two. Utter disgrace.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Like I said in the other post. Goldeneye. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    The Prestige comes to mind.

Image what Goldenthal, or Goldsmith, could have done with that movie !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Prestige eh? Hmmm....interesting 'cause i thought that the score further aided to the arrestingly hypnotic tone and heady mood the movie created and which was a big plus overall. Goldenthal would have been more aggressive with it i suppose and i am not sure that's what the movie wanted.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Although I can acknowlegde the fact that the music "works", I have to say that I was extremely annoyed by the generic sound of Jablonsky's score in Transformers. Entertaining film that got plain silly by the typical Zimmer-ish heroic anthems in minor key - why don't they composer THEMES anymore?

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote
    Although I can acknowlegde the fact that the music "works", I have to say that I was extremely annoyed by the generic sound of Jablonsky's score in Transformers. Entertaining film that got plain silly by the typical Zimmer-ish heroic anthems in minor key - why don't they composer THEMES anymore?

mc

I haven't seen the film ( nor do i plan to ) but despite the score CD being lots of fun as a listening experience for me, i can easily imagine how irritating it can get in the movie.
  1. I think THE PRESTIGE doesn't damage the film in the slightest. It's one score I never feel like listening to, and wish I hadn't bought, but it certainly summons the aura of mystery whenever one of the film's tricks is about to be performed.

Music that has ruined films? I'll have to think about that for a little while.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well not necessarily "ruin"; it can be that extreme as well but even cases of good movies being spoiled by the score (as the title suggests) are very welcome too wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    Zimmer's Da Vinci Code

Great on album but it bogs the film down and adds little!

ooopps! You said GOOD films!? dizzy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Well, being I just watched Blade Runner it's hard not to say that score doesn't almost ruin the movie (although I love the End Credit theme). A majority of the underscore just sounds like someone setting their casio keyboard on wave and just pressing keys. I don't get it.

And although I love the LotR scores to death I didn't like the James Galway flute stuff played at the end of RotK. It cheapened the impact of the story with happy flute music playing when it was a desperate situation where Sam and Frodo are just waiting and expecting to die. From reading the book I felt that should've been the most emotional scene of the entire trilogy, but Shore didn't score it as such.

But, I could be crazy from the cold. It is -45 F here and the frame of the house is cracking, loud like gunshots, every 30 minutes or so. Meh.
  3. Good idea this, the other way around!

I love Brad Fiedel's score for Terminator 2 since its more melodic and less 'metallic-sounding', however his low-key synth approach in The Terminator can really get on my nerves. It doesn't destroy the movie, but some scenes just sound 'hollow', if that's the right word.

End of Days, another Schwarzie flick, but this time John Debney manages to annoy the hell out of me with his repetitive and dreadful writing. Some scenes make me laugh in disgust, as opposed to shake in awe, when witnessing one of the most misplaced soundtracks in a horror movie in a long time.

Anyone ever saw the Jackie Chan action masterpiece Gorgeous (no, not really, not even a mediocre movie at all), but the soundtrack was horrendous, full of cheesy sounding melodies that were totally ripped from other film scores, and done by a cheap sounding keyboard (THE HORROR!!), it actually made the film laughably bad, but if I concentrate hard enough and not imagine the music playing when Jackie's kicking butt the movie could actually be entertaining. I think!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Difficult question. The key here is a good movie made bad as a result of the score. I think that the electronic enhanced birds being the only soundtrack to speak of distracted from the film. A real soundtrack would have helped.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    rolleyes
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Well, being I just watched Blade Runner it's hard not to say that score doesn't almost ruin the movie (although I love the End Credit theme). A majority of the underscore just sounds like someone setting their casio keyboard on wave and just pressing keys. I don't get it.

And although I love the LotR scores to death I didn't like the James Galway flute stuff played at the end of RotK. It cheapened the impact of the story with happy flute music playing when it was a desperate situation where Sam and Frodo are just waiting and expecting to die. From reading the book I felt that should've been the most emotional scene of the entire trilogy, but Shore didn't score it as such.

But, I could be crazy from the cold. It is -45 F here and the frame of the house is cracking, loud like gunshots, every 30 minutes or so. Meh.

I think the Vangelis score works brilliantly in the film! But that's just me I guess.

And I have no probelem with the flute playing in ROTK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Atham wrote
    I think the Vangelis score works brilliantly in the film! But that's just me I guess.

Indeed. BLADE RUNNER is probably one of the most perfectly scored films EVER!!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Atham wrote

Indeed. BLADE RUNNER is probably one of the most perfectly scored films EVER!!

Agree! Great both in the film and on album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Atham wrote
    rolleyes
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Well, being I just watched Blade Runner it's hard not to say that score doesn't almost ruin the movie (although I love the End Credit theme). A majority of the underscore just sounds like someone setting their casio keyboard on wave and just pressing keys. I don't get it.

And I have no probelem with the flute playing in ROTK.

I also think that Vangelis' score works extremely well in the film. But it's a really difficult listening experience away from the visuals.

But I too don't like the obvious flute at the emotional scene mentioned above. I can see what Shore is trying to do by using the flute and the thematic material, but the flute passage just seems to cut through everything else and to some extent ruins the feel of the scene.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    I remember some people thought Klaus Badelts K 19 was too loud and dominant in the movie or even like a ridiculous parody of russian music. Now I don't remember if this was a good movie or not, or whether the movie was bad on its own or spoilt by the score, but I really really enjoy the score on album.

I think Transformers was perfect for the kind of movie it was! The movie was a very loud experience, yes, but that was not just the music but the many sound effects as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL CLAYTON

What, really? I agree that the album is awful (yes, even me) but I feel the film is truly enhanced by it. At least I thought it was.

As for Transformers, I don't think Jablonsky could have written a better score. Michael Bay's cinematic style coupled with loud, noble Media Ventures themes go perfectly together and I really feel It heightened the WOW factor of the visuals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I also think that Vangelis' score works extremely well in the film. But it's a really difficult listening experience away from the visuals.

Difficult?! It's one of the EASIEST listening experiences I know. Soft, ambient textures that puts me right in the mood. Perfect for hangovers. It's not like Don Ellis' FRENCH CONNECTION or something...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Difficult?! It's one of the EASIEST listening experiences I know. Soft, ambient textures that puts me right in the mood. Perfect for hangovers. It's not like Don Ellis' FRENCH CONNECTION or something...

I was surprised by this comment too Alan? Bladerunner is an easy listening experience and one of those film scores that many non-film music fans love too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    Bregje wrote
    I remember some people thought Klaus Badelts K 19 was too loud and dominant in the movie or even like a ridiculous parody of russian music. Now I don't remember if this was a good movie or not, or whether the movie was bad on its own or spoilt by the score, but I really really enjoy the score on album.

I think Transformers was perfect for the kind of movie it was! The movie was a very loud experience, yes, but that was not just the music but the many sound effects as well.

I thought K-19 was one of those instances where the music worked really well. It's tense and melodic at the same time and helped drive the movie.

Ditto on Transformers too. Though I would have prefered more melody where droning percussion thrived.
  5. The Bladerunner score dates the movie (that and Sean Young's big hair) that is supposed to be about the future. The technology in the movie is so advanced that robots look like humans and are actually superior, but the music is very simple and so 1980s. Other than that the movie is timeless.

Also, I have nothing against the use of flutes in the RotK score, the problem is the music is happy sounding when two of the main characters are left to die. Even though most people probably knew Sam and Frodo don't die the music kinda gives away that they are going to live and ruins the scene.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Maybe Alan meant "difficult" in the same way that I regard it a difficult album to listen to - because other than 3 or 4 stunning, memorable tracks it's deadly boring! wink

But Blade Runner is one of my favourite films too and I couldn't agree more that the music is perfect for it in every sense.
  6. My take on Vangelis is he can write good themes (Chariots of Fire and the 1492 theme), but his underscore is very poor and dull. I also don't like the harsh electronic sound the Bladerunner score sometimes has. I don't know if an orchestral score would've worked for the movie either, but I would prefer almost anything over the Vangelis score.

Anyway. Where is all the love from the Bladerunner haters anyway? I swear about five years ago everyone hated this score and then just recently it is widely praised. I don't get it. Maybe Southall's goat will back me up?
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Christodoulides wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

I haven't seen the film ( nor do i plan to )

You should, Demetris! It's a blast - really! I went in there expecting nothing whatsoever and found myself brilliantly entertained. Big, loud and dumb - but entertaining as hell! biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I was surprised by this comment too Alan? Bladerunner is an easy listening experience and one of those film scores that many non-film music fans love too.

shame wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Just checking if I can get this thread to magically disappear from the "Thread From The Past" box on the Extended Stats page if I post now.
    :inquisitive:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nope.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Nope.

slant sad