• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    A thought I've been having for some time:

This is the greatest film music forum online, but it has one major flaw -- it's very passive. And it's been a declining trend over the last few years.

I think that's a shame, because I'd rather spend more of my 'film music discussion sparetime' here than on FSM, where I often get irritated because people can't disagree without getting personal and nasty.

So my question is -- how we can up the activity? Any way to recruit more well-mannered people here?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think it's because 'maintitles' is not that well known in the film music community.
    Whenever I watch posts on other boards, it's always filmtracks this, fsm that or jwfan thus. Those are the 3 most active boards now, and 90 % of the fans stay there because they like the atmosphere or know the members.

MT is a pretty obscure board, the review section is pretty limited (which isn't a bad thing, because I never read those overlong reviews anymore from other sites). But that may not be a good thing for most people.

And maybe because we're so small, we can also keep the loons out of this place.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it's nice to be small, but at this point we've become so small that the activity has almost dropped to nothing. Maybe the regulars have become too busy or occupied with other things in their "real" lives, I don't know. But I think we really need a boost of fresh blood here to become a bit lively again.

I'm not worried about the 'loons', actually. If we 'accidentally' get some because of a wide recruitment strategy, the board's fine moderation and general atmosphere will quickly take care of them.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. These things ebb and flow naturally. There aren't that many interesting releases at the moment; just wait until summer hits and the big scores start coming in every week.

Honestly, I spend more time here (and on Filmtracks, admittedly) than is strictly healthy anyways. tongue
  3. Well, what can I say?
    - I don't listen to very much current film music any more, so related discussions are interesting but nothing that I can add to.
    - I don't collect as heavily any more as I used to, since almost everything I ever wanted is there. I don't see much reason in posting "Hey, I'm listening to Star Wars and boy, is that a great score" over and over again.
    - I have grown a bit tired of any kind of score rankings.

Just two hasty cents.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    I don't see much reason in posting "Hey, I'm listening to Star Wars and boy, is that a great score" over and over again.

You know, this type of post can pretty much attract new fans to discover something they didn't know existed, or had no prior interest in. So in a way we should always emphasize what we love listening to, to let would-be members know what they're missing out on, and start a brand new discussion with a whole new group of film score fans.

A sort of master - apprentice kind of thing. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just hate talking to everyone and you guys in particular.

I'll start a political or religious debate though if that helps?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You do that. I'll start a snooker thread where I'll converse solely with myself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Something that I believe might stop people from participate actively is the the board's language. I believe the more internationally varied the the membership the more interesting for everyone. To achieve that we should point out, that, as long as we get to understand each other, we don't mind any mistakes related to language whatsoever. Or I hope so since I am prone of making these myself. smile
    I mention that because I have read comments elsewhere of English speaking natives who were concerned by English becoming more and more simplified by it's international usage on the net.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Have you gone violently deranged?
    If I find ANYONE on ANY board I frequent trying to get away with a dispulsion of linguistic prevelictions, I shall personally disparicate them and their accounts intemporously! With full prolegalicity.
    Period.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    You do that. I'll start a snooker thread where I'll converse solely with myself.

You will have to.
    Because snooker is officially dead.
  6. Martijn wrote

Not so far. But I'm giving serious thought to doing so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. I hear ya, man. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

You will have to.
    Because snooker is officially dead.

biggrin wink

It will lose it's most massive asset when Ronnie O'Sullivan retires.

Anyway, film music blah blah, Thor blah blah blah, C&C blah blah, Hans Zimmer blah blah, and, of course, blah blah, blah, blah blah blah...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm thinking about posting something on FSM, Intrada etc. to see how many are interested in taking a look.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You do realise that the very few who did saunter over from there to here....we basically scared off, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    You do realise that the very few who did saunter over from there to here....we basically scared off, right?

We did? I can't remember. If we bring anyone over, everyone behave themselves (especially you, Steven!)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Certainly, Sir. We will be at our best behaviour, Sir. We welcome strangers. We like them. We like them to stay. Forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, what can I say?
    - I don't listen to very much current film music any more, so related discussions are interesting but nothing that I can add to.
    - I don't collect as heavily any more as I used to, since almost everything I ever wanted is there. I don't see much reason in posting "Hey, I'm listening to Star Wars and boy, is that a great score" over and over again.
    - I have grown a bit tired of any kind of score rankings.

Just two hasty cents.

smile Volker

I've always found your posts interesting when you talk about some of your classical music listening's as well as Timmer, the Vaughan Williams ones in particular. You've been willing to try a couple of my suggestions and we seem to have established some banter which is good for me.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  7. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    I'm thinking about posting something on FSM, Intrada etc. to see how many are interested in taking a look.

Good luck on that one Thor! I tried at one time when I had the golden scores website and it didn't work very well for me. Most of the posters are way too set in their ways.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I browse some of the other forums but never post. This is the only one I participate in. Plus I've met a fair few of you and I like that it's more personal.

With work - and attempts to write my own music - I have very little time to post anymore but I do when I can.
  8. More? Hey -- slow and steady wins the race. So I've read.

MainTitles is really kind of fine the way it is. Any doubling in size, I think we might degrade into jwfan.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    How many agree with Justin?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

We did? I can't remember. If we bring anyone over, everyone behave themselves (especially you, Steven!)!

You definitely don't need as thick a skin here as at FSM. On the other hand it's easier to hide amongst the multitude there, here you're rather more exposed.
  9. Martijn wrote
    If I find ANYONE on ANY board I frequent trying to get away with a dispulsion of linguistic prevelictions, I shall personally disparicate them and their accounts intemporously! With full prolegalicity.
    Period.

This post sucks. It's full of words I don't understand. In fact this very board is too intellectual for me. shame

I'm afraid to post here anymore, afraid to look like an ass. I'm thinking about joining another forum.

Goodbye.

wave
  10. Thor wrote

But then people will be reluctant to participate when you entice people over because there's not much going on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. justin boggan wrote
    More? Hey -- slow and steady wins the race. So I've read.

MainTitles is really kind of fine the way it is. Any doubling in size, I think we might degrade into jwfan.

I agree with Justin.

It doesn't need to be any more lively that it is currently. When there's a lot to say, it's said but when there's some quiet times people don't feel the need to force a conversation.

I like how it just takes a few minutes to catch up if I've not been around for a time. If I see lots of comments since the last time I visited, I am less likely to read through them all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Instead of an increase we've now lost one. I know that Martijn was being humorous but apparently someone else didn't think so.

I really think it is time for an overhaul of the site. I would be willing to help.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Here is one example. It has been four years since anyone posted in the Korngold thread and that was Alan. So much for the old scores.