• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    Here is one example. It has been four years since anyone posted in the Korngold thread and that was Alan. So much for the old scores.

Korngold? Who's that?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    sdtom wrote
    Instead of an increase we've now lost one. I know that Martijn was being humorous but apparently someone else didn't think so.

I think you'll find Gilles (Dreamtheater) is about as serious as I am. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Here is one example. It has been four years since anyone posted in the Korngold thread and that was Alan. So much for the old scores.

Korngold? Who's that?

A GERMAN?!?!? shocked
    We don't want no bloody GERMANS here!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote

Korngold? Who's that?

A GERMAN?!?!? shocked

Me? Korngold was Austrian, which is perhaps even worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like the way the Austrians say goodbye better.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote

Korngold? Who's that?

A GERMAN?!?!? shocked

Yeah, I remember that time Austria annexed Germany...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Martijn wrote
    I like the way the Austrians say goodbye better.

Oh, Germans can be quite charming as well.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote

Korngold? Who's that?

A GERMAN?!?!? shocked

Yeah, I remember that time Austria annexed Germany...

Indeed. They started my manipulating us in choosing one of them as our leader.
  6. Captain Future wrote

Indeed. They started my manipulating us in choosing one of them as our leader.

Well, stop manipulating people. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Indeed. They started manipulating us in choosing one of them as our leader.

It's been 750 years! Let it go already!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I point out one example and it is turned into a comedy routine! Perhaps you might ask the question of how different John Williams might have turned out if there was no Korngold. I think his sound would have turned out quite differently.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  7. Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Instead of an increase we've now lost one. I know that Martijn was being humorous but apparently someone else didn't think so.

I think you'll find Gilles (Dreamtheater) is about as serious as I am. wink

shocked

Nope ! I'm D.E.A.D. serious... I'll be gone in less than a parsec. Off to new pastures. To post to my heart's content and not be ridiculed by my lack of seriousness. crazy

Note to Thor: you have what you wanted... an increase in activity. Albeit only this thread. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. sdtom wrote
    I point out one example and it is turned into a comedy routine! Perhaps you might ask the question of how different John Williams might have turned out if there was no Korngold. I think his sound would have turned out quite differently.
    Tom

Tom, pardon my insolence! You know, I am one of the most vocal Korngold fans around here. The reason why there is little traffic in the Korngold thread - an I assume in many other composer dedicated threads - is, that most of that talk takes place in the "Now Playing" place.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I really didn't know that. The point I was trying to make is there is very little activity about 'golden age' composers. Waxman, Young, Steiner, are examples.
    Tom
  9. Thor wrote
    So my question is -- how we can up the activity?

I've given this a lot of thought, and my conclusion is: post more.

wave
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote
    So my question is -- how we can up the activity?

I've given this a lot of thought, and my conclusion is: post more.

wave

Ha, ha....good point. I've tried. But unless anyone protests, I think I'm at the very least going to chart the terrain over at FSM with a thread. I doubt it will recruit anyone, but it's worth a shot.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. My favourite Golden Age film composers are Korngold and Rozsa. I am also fairly well acquainted with their "classical" concert works. (I am not familiar though with Krongold's opera "Die tote Stadt /The Dead City", which is a shame since it is such a famous piece.)

Other than that I deeply respect Hermann, Waxman and Alfred Newman. I especially like their scores for historical and fantasy films. Steiner is another composer I revere but honestly, with the exception of GwtW I could never connect with his music that much.

I also like a number of lesser known German and British composers of that period. (The latter thanks to Chandos.)

Other than that I know and like individual scores by other composers of that period. I shall listen more to them and post about it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A fine observation
  11. Well, we tried to get more activity on ScoreReviews and look what happend to that... wink

MMUK used to have a fairly regularly active board, but it's essentially dead now. It's kind of weird, 'cause it was never a bad place.

MovieMusic used to have a quite active board, too, but it killed itself with posters battling (kind of like what jwfan is doing right now, but Williams is too powerful to fully kill that board, I think) and the site owner overlording over it. He does well shipping and selling CD's, I'll give him that, but the board fell collapsed under him.

There's also a couple other active boards, but they're niche: the Zimmer forum (I can't recall the name) and another one from another country where of course most posts are in different languages (again, off hand I can't recall the name).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Perhaps it's time for an anschluss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    shocked

Nope ! I'm D.E.A.D. serious...

shocked
    Noooooo! Come baaaack! I didn't mean it! cry

I'll be gone in less than a parsec.

Yes.
    I have to kill you now.
    Thomas, what's this bloke's address?
  12. Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Perhaps it's time for an anschluss.

Could be. I case of the brexit we'll invade the main island with UFOs coming from a hidden moon base and schließ you an again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As long as you're riding a dinosaur, I for one welcome our Lunar overlords.
  13. dino (Wasn't there another one?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016 edited
    trex
  14. trex That's right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well if we get bigger, we'll essentially be fsm LE in the best scenario, which is full of lunatics in basements wink Do we really want that? the laid-back mood here is what i always loved. And the more like a bar tone to it all. Other than that, let's face it, when Zimmer is the one who generates the longest and denser discussions during the last 5 years or more, then it actually means (which is evident through our ears too) that new film music isn't even nearly as interesting to talk about it anymore. Even the glorious and hopeful for the future-Spaniard composers, have gone all Zimmer from LIDL-versions to us wink With very few exceptions, It's more of a collection of fast-food wow's that are essentially forgettable, film music these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I decided to post here! Hello all!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jesus! things are getting positively HECTIC here!
    Can't we all please SLOW DOWN!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Now if people can just channel this into film music discussion on a daily basis, we're game! Screw your everyday lives! wink

I'm not too worried about this place ever becoming a new FSM (which, btw, has several strenghts -- it's not all bad). In fact, I think if I post over there, most would not come over. They're comfortable where they are. If some decide to check it out, it won't be a big number, and in most likelihood likeable fellows. Should a "looneybin" sneak through, he or she will easily dissolve.

It's a win-win.
    I am extremely serious.