• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016 edited
    FSm has some nice aspects but i am really, really afraid of that type of that mighty fanboy who lives in their mother's basement and is really dangerous wink they seem to be in many hidden places throughout fsm wink anyway how do you draw the fsm crowd (or filmtracks and jwfan? these are more lunatic than fsm's wink ) into posting in a different film music board? yes we are not the same, but how do you convince them and give them a reason to do so?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    I really would hate to attract lunatics.

Great to see Bregt posting in this thread, I thought he may have been injured. I contacted my friend in the police service and all he could provide by way of reassurance was this recent picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    Boy he's a stunner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016 edited
    You guys are so reactionary! :D

Let's see what happens. Probably very little. If I post at FSM, it will maybe a get a response or two (if I'm lucky) before the thread quickly disappears off the front page.

I'm surprised I'm the only one who thinks this place could do with a bit more activity.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!
    Go for it, Thor!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I want more activity.
    Demetris wrote
    FSm has some nice aspects but i am really, really afraid of that type of that mighty fanboy who lives in their mother's basement and is really dangerous wink they seem to be in many hidden places throughout fsm wink anyway how do you draw the fsm crowd (or filmtracks and jwfan? these are more lunatic than fsm's wink ) into posting in a different film music board? yes we are not the same, but how do you convince them and give them a reason to do so?

By the way 'D' there are no basements in CA (earthquakes).
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm willing to post a lot more if people are willing to talk about older scores
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah 'D', get your facts straight! GOD. angry

So has anyone heard that new Max Steiner score? Rumour is it's going to be the next Star Wars.
  1. sdtom wrote
    I'm willing to post a lot more if people are willing to talk about older scores

I am sure you would get some responses.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hope so Alan. I'll try
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor i don't think anyone here's going to mind extra traffic. Try and see what we can fish. Apart from lunies biggrin
  2. Demetris wrote
    (or filmtracks and jwfan? these are more lunatic than fsm's wink )

I don't know about JWFan but Filmtracks is nothing like FSM. The atmosphere is much closer to here, actually - albeit with the odd religious troll and whatnot, but that's a very different sort of "lunatic" to the more, ah, permanent FSM sort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016 edited
    Filmtracks doesn't seem to be that bad. The only issue I have with that (and I've had the same issue since the 90s) is that the interface is totally bewildering -- a new and old board at the same time, an ancient "tree-format", and while you can edit things to look more like this, things doesn't communicate with each other well. This is what's kept me from being a regular there.

I've always felt rather uncomfortable at JWFAN. Once you find a topic that is interesting (which isn't that often), you have to wade through page upon page of silly oneliners and rants and rambling, off-topic nerd talk to find the on-topic stuff. It's an exercise in scrolling and skimming. But I stick around for the rare talk of rare Williams, and several of the less oddball members are nice -- I've met some of them in real life.

I sometimes stop by Intrada's board, but it's even less active than this place. Same with the Elfman board at Music from a Darkened People.

And then there's FSM, which is very active and several good discussions, although it often leans heavily on older Hollywood scores and films I have no or very little connection to. There's a reason why I've stuck around for 18 friggin' years! But in the last 10, you've had to tread a bit more carefully and be equipped with a thick skin, because you sometimes wander into personal insults just because you disagree with something (especially if you have a minority view on certain issues, like The Holy Goldsmith).

In short, if we even had 1/10th the activity of FSM here, I doubt I'd gone anywhere else. I'm addicted to film score talk every day (unless I'm travelling), and if I don't get my daily dose, I'll wander aimlessly in the streets.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice to hear about filmtracks guys. I haven't visited for years truth to be told, but that's the last impression i had in mind, sorry about that. Nice to hear it's a better place. But they have religious lunatics you say? my 2nd favorite category of lunatics (first being deranged film score fans like Sunil, Jordi or the Kriztiniauauiyw princess wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw Thor, yes, that filmtracks tree-forum format is horrible. Hurts my eyes! As for fsm being hard on you, i think it's their traditional, trademarked way of having fan at fsm, bashing of the Thor wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Btw Thor, yes, that filmtracks tree-forum format is horrible. Hurts my eyes! As for fsm being hard on you, i think it's their traditional, trademarked way of having fan at fsm, bashing of the Thor wink

He, he....yeah, it should be an Olympic sporting event.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    I'm surprised I'm the only one who thinks this place could do with a bit more activity.

It's not our fault that we have other things that occupy us apart from MT, and that you do not. tongue

Thor wrote
    I've always felt rather uncomfortable at JWFAN. Once you find a topic that is interesting (which isn't that often), you have to wade through page upon page of silly oneliners and rants and rambling, off-topic nerd talk to find the on-topic stuff. It's an exercise in scrolling and skimming. But I stick around for the rare talk of rare Williams, and several of the less oddball members are nice -- I've met some of them in real life.

It's way too active and sometimes a bit high and mighty, blasé in the comments, so I stopped posting there. The one thing that was interesting for me, there are a bunch of gamers and they have a dedicated videogame topic, and I can rarely talk about that here.

So I want to attract fellow videogame fans of all genres, that would improve activity I'm sure (not for you though, Thor). smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, gamers are always a nice addition smile

Thor do you, like, work? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

LOL! Yeah, I do. But I'm freelance, so there are hectic periods and then slow periods. But even in the hectic periods, I always set aside time for film score talk. Like in the evenings or so. Gotta get that fix!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

LOL! Yeah, I do. But I'm freelance, so there are hectic periods and then slow periods. But even in the hectic periods, I always set aside time for film score talk. Like in the evenings or so. Gotta get that fix!

You rule man smile Btw i told you before i think, but i always admire the high level of patience and getlemancy (wink) you show at many debates and esp. handling all that crap over at fsm with such class and patience. How do you do it man, i mean what gives? you must have the best of weeds up there wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks, D. Beer gets me by. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Demetris wrote

Or Michael Jackson fans. cool

Right??? cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i'm neutral on that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    So has anyone heard that new Max Steiner score? Rumour is it's going to be the next Star Wars.

Well, that actually WAS Korngold!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Williams does it so much better. punk
  5. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    shocked

Nope ! I'm D.E.A.D. serious...

shocked
    Noooooo! Come baaaack! I didn't mean it! cry

I'll be gone in less than a parsec.

Yes.
    I have to kill you now.
    Thomas, what's this bloke's address?

no address known sadly tongue

About the activity, I like that it's a small community. There's enough activity here, everyone says what they want to, and just occasionally someone joins our little community and likes the gentle atmosphere here. So no reason to push something that is already quite good enough.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. There's only so many contributions people can make to messageboards, social media, etc. and I think that people settle at a level they are comfortable with when everything else in peoples' lives are taken into consideration.

Over the years there has been several times where the profile of this little messageboard has been raised at other places such as the FSM messageboards. But, for whatever reason, most just don't want to join this group.

For me, there's only one place that I post regularly and that's here. FSM and Google+ are other places where I contribute comments - Google+ being perhaps 2-3 times a week and FSM maybe 2-3 times a month. I do visit these sites daily but only to see what's being said.

Trying to contribute here and at the other sites, plus posting to Twitter and Facebook, feels like a 24-hour job sometimes!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Thor wrote
    Filmtracks doesn't seem to be that bad. The only issue I have with that (and I've had the same issue since the 90s) is that the interface is totally bewildering -- a new and old board at the same time, an ancient "tree-format", and while you can edit things to look more like this, things doesn't communicate with each other well. This is what's kept me from being a regular there.

I started out at Filmtracks so the whole thread-tree format thing doesn't bug me at all, and indeed it's what I think of as "default". Just down to what you're raised on, I guess! tongue
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    shocked

Nope ! I'm D.E.A.D. serious...

shocked
    Noooooo! Come baaaack! I didn't mean it! cry

I'll be gone in less than a parsec.

Yes.
    I have to kill you now.
    Thomas, what's this bloke's address?

no address known sadly tongue

Right now it's

Dumpster 14A
    Avenue of Broken Hearts
    Shithole of the World
    European Continent
    The Milky Way
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. Belgium.