• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Watching films in the last ten years has definitely taken a backseat. I've seen one film on the big screen in 2015 (Mad Max Fury Road). At home I used to watch a lot more too. Strangely enough, I'm more into videogames as I get older, and lots and lots of music of course. But I'm just much more content with keeping in my comfort zone, listening to the same (old) music again and again NEVER gets old for me. And that's basically what is taking up a lot of my time, and I don't feel like I'm missing out, because my days are filled with the absolute good stuff. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited
    Sparing little time to listen to new scores is indeed the best way to judge them, as you often do. Keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Or, or? new film music not being so dense and interesting anymore? no? wink

I was wondering how long until that bullshit reared its ugly head.

Let me say it this way... If I had been a child / teenager in this decade I could never have become a film score nut.

I'm not talking bullshit. wink

thank you!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Steven wrote
    Sparing little time to listen to new scores is indeed the best way to judge them, as you often do. Keep up the good work!

I shall not take your bait, mate. wink

You know my stance on things, I know your stance on things.

Life goes on.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    I shall not take your bait...

That's enough of a bite. Fried Glorieux for me tonight! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited
    You will not hold it all in... I'm fairly disgusting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have little hope that much will be done. I posted about Zador's "Festival Overture" and how it relates to Rozsa so we'll see what happens.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    I have little hope that much will be done. I posted about Zador's "Festival Overture" and how it relates to Rozsa so we'll see what happens.
    Tom

That's quite obscure Tom. I will take a look - but, I'm afraid, more to support the initiative rather than an interest in the subject.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I have been a citizen of two worlds all along when it comes to film music. Symphonic music (Jedi having been my first score) and electronica (Chariots of Fire my second). There are great non-symphonic and bad symphonic scores. Ok. Just felt like adding that to my mumblings.
    What Giles said: I also find myself watching far less films then I did, say, ten years ago. Since the film leads me to the music that is one reason why I am not as aware of current scores as are others around here. I guess it has to do with getting older, simple as that. I'm just not as thrilled by today's super hero flicks as I was by comparable films back in the day. Also I don't revisit older films that often because listening to the music for me is almost like watching the film. That's how it works for me.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Indeed, the countless remakes, reboots and sequels don't help things. OK there were sequels back when I was young but those were awesome and directed by Jim Cameron or Steve Spielberg or Bob Zemeckis. smile Because most of the time these remakes just plain suck. Why try to improve on a film that works beautifully to begin with?

The main problem I have with modern cinema is the need to over-complicate stories with all sorts of plot twists (one more ridiculous than the other) because according to the Hollywood execs the general audience has become smarter and thinks older films are often too simplistic or cheesy to take seriously.

When a film comes along that actually takes a plot device and doesn't beat around the bush for an hour trying to explain to the viewer what he should think is going on, well for me that can turn out to be a great thing if the rest of the film is told in a captivating way. In too much films nowadays the element of mystery is gone and the makers feel the need to explain everything in too much detail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Their main problem today is complete lack of inspiration and over-reliance on cgi.
  6. You're damn right. I've had it with these over-produced CGI crapfests that look more fake than Donald Trump's hair. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    You're damn right. I've had it with these over-produced CGI crapfests that look more fake than Donald Trump's hair. biggrin

Indeed. They are laughable, most of the times (Trump's hair as well wink). There are video games out there right now that look better. Most major adventures and sci-fi's these days cover for the complete lack of strong storyline, strong character development, with crap cgi, bass-drone scores. Thank God for tv series, and the occasional Christopher Nolan gig wink
  7. That's why we're seeing the big stars doing their thing for the small screen. And they seem to get more out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Indeed, the countless remakes, reboots and sequels don't help things. OK there were sequels back when I was young but those were awesome and directed by Jim Cameron or Steve Spielberg or Bob Zemeckis. smile Because most of the time these remakes just plain suck. Why try to improve on a film that works beautifully to begin with?

The main problem I have with modern cinema is the need to over-complicate stories with all sorts of plot twists (one more ridiculous than the other) because according to the Hollywood execs the general audience has become smarter and thinks older films are often too simplistic or cheesy to take seriously.

When a film comes along that actually takes a plot device and doesn't beat around the bush for an hour trying to explain to the viewer what he should think is going on, well for me that can turn out to be a great thing if the rest of the film is told in a captivating way. In too much films nowadays the element of mystery is gone and the makers feel the need to explain everything in too much detail.

I would urge you to check out movies outside Hollywood to find the things you're looking for, but that obviously only applies if you're interested in exploring, and from what I understand, this is not a priority for you.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Hey Thor, do you like the activity here since you started the thread? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If only the board was as active as this thread, there wouldn't be a problem! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I'm fairly sure that if we were to start a thread with pictures of young gorgeous honeys, we would see a general increase in posting activity and other things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    If only the board was as active as this thread, there wouldn't be a problem! smile

Isn't it generally more active than recently?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nah.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

That's quite obscure Tom. I will take a look - but, I'm afraid, more to support the initiative rather than an interest in the subject.

Thanks Alan for the support. The Festival Overture when you listen to it a few times will bring to mind at least three films
  10. Does anyone here have jumper cables? biggrin
  11. Words like violence
    Break the silence
    Come crashing in
    Into my little world
    Painful to me
    Pierce right through me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Does anyone here have jumper cables? biggrin

I wish someone did
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017
    Are people still alive?

In the last two weeks, there have been, like, 10 posts in total or something. Messageboard activity always goes up and down, but I'm always worried that the 'slump' becomes permanent.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Not a whole lot of interesting film music coming out in January and February, I guess. I wouldn't worry about it too much, once the next controversial thing from Zimmer drops there will be lots of talk. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We could always start discussing politics or religion?

angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (Actually I'm really, really, REALLY busy moving house (and renovating) while juggling work commitments, so yeah, these days aren't particularly great for longwinded (or indeed even short) posts.

That aside, there just ain't much interesting happening on the score front (in my opinion).
    I've not been able to muster up anything beyond a lukewarm enthusiasm or a fairly disinterested shrug for stuff coming out these last months.

The real discussions only pop up when there's anything controversial or deeply divisive coming to the table.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017 edited
    Shame we're so 'news'-dependent. There are so many things to talk about that are less reliant on that. But of course, it requires someone actually taking first initiative.

Maybe I should do a posting/topic ressurection spree at the next available moment, and see if that triggers anything. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  13. As I said before I am not listening to much recent film music any more. I couldn't even come up with a top 10 chart for 2016 this year. I am reluctant to announce all these older scores I am listening to as those have already been discussed in depth width and length.

Volker