• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2020
    Bregt wrote
    Could you please stop using apocalyptic words about MainTitles though? It hurts. biggrin

He, he. Yes, the truth hurts.

But I'll look into this within the next couple of weeks. Perhaps next Friday or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2020
    Who are some of the regulars that we need to get back into the fold (family lives and personal matters be damned!)?

James Southall, Demetris, Tim, Thomas Glorieux, Bregje, Martijn.....just some names off the top of my head. Who else?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I miss some of the really, really old members like Ravi (DemonStar) and Eri (Miya).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2020
    If anything comes of this please PM me via Facebook as I don't frequent here as much as I once did.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2020
    Timmer wrote
    If anything comes of this please PM me via Facebook as I don't frequent here as much as I once did.

I'm not sure what you refer to regarding "comes of this". The Zoom gatherings? We've already had three of those, and the fourth will probably be next week. I'll try to alert you on Facebook in advance.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    I miss some of the really, really old members like Ravi (DemonStar) and Eri (Miya).

As was frequently pointed out in the most recent Zoom meeting I am one of these "really, really old members"

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2021 edited
    LOL!

I was trying to sort out which members keep the activity up here these days (outside myself), just for my own personal overview.

ZOOMS:

Regulars on Zoom chats include Alan, Cailin, Pawel, Bregt, Thomas, Joep and Erik (now and then). Christopher was at the first one, but never appeared again.

Steven, Anthony, Martijn, Timmer, Demetris and Tom expressed interest early on, but never showed up. Lee has periodically shown interest, but never showed up.

I don't mean this to "shame" anyone, btw -- as I said, I'm just getting an overview.

BOARD:

The aforementioned Zoom regulars keep up the posting as well. In addition to those, I can glean Ralph Krum, Christopher, Edmund Meinerts....who else?

As we briefly talked about in the last Zoom chat, there are a number of "ex-members" I would love to get back. To posting, first and foremost, but it would be delightful if some of them came to the Zooms too. Or - if not - get a heads-up about why they're not posting anymore. Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious about how "life finds a way" (away from the board). These include, but are not limited to:

Steven
    Anthony
    Martijn
    Demetris
    Tom
    Timmer
    Bregje
    Southall
    Stavroula
    franz_conrad
    DreamTheater
    Captain Future
    Caliburn
    BobdH
    Bhelpuri
    BasilB
    Marcel

....and many, many more I'm forgetting. If I'd had a list of all the members, it would be easier to make a list (obviously).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I do wonder where's Volker (Captain Future).

I'll be writing Edmund about the next meetups whenever they crop up as I he wants to attend, but forgets.

Don't expect Michael (franz_conrad) much as the time difference might not be the best for him (he's in Australia). Would love to have him, though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2021
    Thor wrote
    Lee has periodically shown interest, but never showed up.

Hi! I am here!

I have been busy during the pandemic with voluntary work. It's certainly kept me busy.

I am still alive and willing to participate with your Zooom thingies.

Hope you're all well. xx
  4. I think I'm going to start working on some lists. I see some of you have nice and tidy TOP 10 Scores of All Time, or lists of favorite composers in order, and stuff like that on your profiles and I've never really made any lists or thought too hard about it. But it would give me something fun to post if I pushed myself to narrow down say, like, my top 3 or 5 from a specific composer and why. I'm not quite ready for an "all time" list, but the process of doing the other lists should help hammer that out as well! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I think I'm going to start working on some lists. I see some of you have nice and tidy TOP 10 Scores of All Time, or lists of favorite composers in order, and stuff like that on your profiles and I've never really made any lists or thought too hard about it. But it would give me something fun to post if I pushed myself to narrow down say, like, my top 3 or 5 from a specific composer and why. I'm not quite ready for an "all time" list, but the process of doing the other lists should help hammer that out as well! biggrin

Lists are actually a GREAT idea for boosting activity, not just for personal use. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, I didn't care for lists, but since then I've come to love them. I remember Timmer used to do these weekly or monthly lists about anything back in the day (or maybe it was only on FSM, I've forgotten).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I like listing all the different ways I can position a teaspoon on top of a horse's back.

Before you call me mad, there's more than you think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2021 edited
    biggrin

That's one list we haven't done before.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    You clearly need more lists in your life. And teaspoons.
  5. Anyone have a list of their Top 10 favourite lists? We could start there.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. I'm not sure I have any favorite types of favorites lists, but some ideas I had were (and many of these are quite obvious):

Individual Cues (as standalone, apart from the whole Album)
    Composers
    Movie Musical Moments (Film scenes where the music really carries it/packs a punch)
    Films in general
    Scores as used in a film
    Scores on their own apart from the film
    Scores Within certain Film Genres
    Scores Featuring Certain Instruments (violin-heavy scores, brass-heavy, synth, etc.)

Erik should help us out with this, he makes lists all the time!
  7. I'm trying to work on my "top scores of all time" list and my "shortlist" has 57! And I already can't seem to let any go! How in the world will I ever get it down to 25, let alone 10! I guess I just have to re-listen to them all and see how it goes, haha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2021
    He, he. Yeah, it's difficult to "kill your darlings".

The very first episode of Celluloid Tunes that I did was about my alltime top 10, so I have that more or less covered (it hasn't changed that much in the 8 years since I did it).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. It's really difficult to whittle down a list so divergent as film music. Trying to analyse something so personal and emotional.
  9. Yes, totally agree! It's painful! I'm not sure to whittle it down by how much I listen to each one, or have the list more varied by types, or one from each composer. Decisions, decisions!
  10. Thor wrote
    The very first episode of Celluloid Tunes that I did was about my alltime top 10.

I tried to find your first episode Thor, so I could read your list...where do I find it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021 edited
    The episode is in Norwegian, but you can click the list underneath the player (be aware that it counts down from 10 to 1, so the playlist is in reverse order):

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … undtracks/

I also tried to make a top 50 on MUBI a few years ago, but this needs considerable editing now:

https://mubi.com/lists/top-50-favourite-soundtracks
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Cool, thanks! I've been working on my favorites lists and I'm really struggling with the last one that get's to be "in". I keep changing my mind. But I think I have my first 9 anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021 edited
    Looking forward to seeing it when it's ready. Be sure to post it in its own thread. Erik did this general top 10 thread in 2007, at the height of Maintitles' power, but we can do all sorts of different top 10 lists separately too, if we want.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. I posted it today in the general top 10 thread - I was debating if I explain what it is about the scores that made them worthy of my top 10 or just leave it plain for mystery...
  13. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I posted it today in the general top 10 thread - I was debating if I explain what it is about the scores that made them worthy of my top 10 or just leave it plain for mystery...

Thor certainly likes an explanatory note rather than a 'dry' list. And I think everyone would find the insight an explanation for each would give interesting too.
  14. Well, it's been about a week since we started trying to increase the activity here. How are people finding it so far?

I think that it's going pretty well. I think that the difficult part is going to be keeping the activity up after the initial flurry of posts.

It's good to see the occasional appearance of some old names again. Hopefully the increased overall activity provides some of the topics that encourages sustained participation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2021
    I think it's going great. Let's at least try to keep it up untill the next Zoom chat (let's say in a couple of weeks), and then do a 'status' then.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    I think it's going great. Let's at least try to keep it up untill the next Zoom chat (let's say in a couple of weeks), and then do a 'status' then.

It's really challenging trying to keep threads moving when there's only a handful of people posting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2021 edited
    It is. Think of it as an experiment. If - by the end of the next two weeks - we have "triggered" ex-members to come back into the fold due to the increased activity they perceive upon visit (while we log on each day, they might not log on more than once a week), it's been a success. If not, we can ease down again and just let it get back to normal "inactivity". That's the way I look at it, anyway.

There are a couple of long-ish posts I'm saving for Friday, over some wine/beer - the 'hobbies' thread and another entry in the 'composer meet' thread, for example.
    I am extremely serious.