• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    As I said before I am not listening to much recent film music any more. I couldn't even come up with a top 10 chart for 2016 this year. I am reluctant to announce all these older scores I am listening to as those have already been discussed in depth width and length.

Volker

Breach out, Volker! I know it's comforting to return to the big titles and personal favourites, but there's so much good stuff out there -- both older and newer.

I'm surprised so many draw a link between what they perceive as a lack of interesting news or scores these days, and the lack of film music discussion. I don't really see any correlation between the two. There's so much to talk about -- especially various aesthetic angles that always allow for interesting, in-depth discussions. It's been a while since we had those.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017
    I am most of the time reading stuff here. Not really posting.
  1. Well, I have concerned myself with recording electronic music, which is something new for me. Not that I am much of a composer, but this might become a new hobby anyway. So much attention went into that direction. Also I have re-discovered much of the classic stuff that got me interested in film music a quarter of a century ago.
    The interest in collecting and expanding my collection is largely gone. I probably should listen more to recent stuff on Spotify.
    Yes, there is much good film music made around the globe, I don't doubt that. Still I often think that much of it is reminiscent of what I already have. I believe after 25 years of listening to film music that is somewhat inevitable. Things tend to become redundant.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthoractivity
    I'm here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    activity wrote
    I'm here!

Ha, ha....
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Now, now, lets don't get all exited and frantic here! wink
  3. Look what's Thor's created.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Look what's Thor's created.

A cheese cake? A paper maché figure? Frankenstein's Monster?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. All materpieces, I would assume. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Cheese cake ... lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2019 edited
    Three years later, and the forum is even less active than in 2016. Are we witnessing the death of Maintitles?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I hope not. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2019 edited
    sadly I feel like specialized message boards themselves are waning. Forums dedicated to one subject are being replaced by subreddits and smaller cliques on big websites like Reddit and Twitter. It's more convenient to have a discord server dedicated to a topic than visit a separate website.

Which is too bad. Because, say, a subreddit like hiphopheads has literally tens of thousands of members. There's no sense of family like on smaller forums. On a website like maintitles or even good old FilmScoreMonthly, everyone knows everyone else, and every person becomes a distinct personality. You'll never see a post on the hip hop subreddit about a member's personal problems, or their new cat, or their birthday. Because you might as well be anonymous on a forum with thousands of members. The only notable members on such a board are celebrities and novelty accounts that, say, write their comments in the form of poems.

If I debate someone on maintitles, I know a certain amount about that person. I'm not just pumping words at some dude with a username I've never heard of before, I'm talking to Thor or to christopher or to Erik. There's actually a sense that these are people.

One thing I've noticed on Reddit is that there are very few debates of the caliber and detail as you would find on a smaller board. If someone says something absurd or controversial, they are simply downvoted into oblivion. Whereas on maintitles, if I post the (verifiable fact) that the Hunger Games scores are James Newton Howard's best scores, I'll get 20 posts with 10 citations each presenting good arguments, and whether or not I agree with them, I'm talking to *people*, not usernames.

I don't think these types of boards will die though. They are waning, but people eventually will realize the anonymous waves of comments on giant websites like twitter, Reddit, and Facebook aren't discussions, they're just giant riff sessions, people posting reactions and other people making puns and jokes... Occasionally you'll stumble on a good and interesting discussion, but for the most part, it's mindless references to old memes.

Regardless of whether activity on this site decreases, I'll still find even the most banal discussion here more interesting than anything on the behemoth message boards of the tech giants...
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2019
    Ideal would be to move the Reddit format to here, as a platform to discuss. It's on my mind. And only there atm. smile
    Kazoo
  7. How would that work?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Not that I'm much of a presence here anyway, but starting today I'm trying to put in a little time on Fridays to contribute to the discussions a little more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2019 edited
    Something I've wondered about:

What has changed in your life since this board was first created in 2007 (or since this board was last active, around 2012/2013)? Are you at a place now where posting on messageboards isn't a priority anymore? Does film music get relegated as an interest too, with other priorities (like kids or family or other social situations) needing more attention?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2019
    Besides personal changes, I think it has more to do with the changing ways by which we communicate. Since the uprise of smartphones/Ipads/social media, I see on every other messageboard I regularly visit traffic doesn't change so much, but the number of messages do. I don't own a smartphone, but if I would I don't think I would even be writing this message and would only use a 'like'''button and read everything that's posted.
  9. As my film music interests have changed, moving away from the mainstream titles to less well-known ones, there's not much for me to say about the titles that are talked about here and there's usually little interest in the titles I am listening to. And by the time I do listen to the mainstream titles discussions here have moved on to the next blockbuster.

So, with not contributing too much to the messageboard I now feel more of an outsider looking in rather than being a part of things, though maintitles.net is the web page that Google opens on to so here is always the first place I start off at.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2019
    Thor wrote
    Something I've wondered about:

What has changed in your life since this board was first created in 2007 (or since this board was last active, around 2012/2013)? Are you at a place now where posting on messageboards isn't a priority anymore? Does film music get relegated as an interest too, with other priorities (like kids or family or other social situations) needing more attention?

For me the answer is simple: Social Media.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2019 edited
    Social media is not the cause for me. But life changed over these past 12 years. I just have less time, family and work related, and also interest in film music in general is lower than a couple of years ago. I still follow composers and new works though, but feel less to talk about it. Indeed, the superheroe music leaves me cold, and there is so much of it.

However, I still follow what happens here, with one eye open. And I'm still there when there are meetups, if possible, and when the composer him/herself is present. wink So I hope the group keeps strong beyond the forum.
    Kazoo
  10. I've had four(!) kids since 2007. They do keep me busy. But a year ago I finally finished my doctorate and I haven't been in school for the first time in the last 10 years. So I should have more time. I just haven't been as active online. Depression may have something to do with that. It's harder for me to want to do anything when I'm feeling down. But that's been getting better lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2019 edited
    how to get more activity in here? easy, bring D back in wink hehe

srsly though, film music has became crappier (see you all lost interest somehow in varying degrees wink told ya soooooooo wink ) and life became busier and harder for all of us. i've got one kid who's 1 but i read that others got 4 (bravo! smile) so i shouldn't complain smile by work / job life is a living hell though fuck the eu and fuck cyprus wages hehe, working our asses off day and night to make living wage.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. I haven't lost interest in film music but I have been listening to less new music. I don't think that's because it's become crappier, but life certainly has. Become crappier, that is. Gone are the years where I would have time to seek out every obscure thing in the hopes of it being a hidden gem and listen to 150-180 new scores a year. These days I'm happy if I hit 30. Been trying to focus more on older things, plug the gaps in my collection. Figure listening to stuff by composers I know are good (or that people I trust have said is good) is going to have a higher success rate than listening to 150 scores from 2019. But that has been a halting process because, again, real life shit. Alas, nobody seems willing to pay me to listen to film scores. cry

Also, I guess I've been a bit more active on other forums than this one. Only a bit though, not as much as I used to be. Sad but true. C'est la vie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2019
    hey ed smile life became crappier for all of us as we grow older i think it's a universal truth isn't it? hehe more or less. anyway, which forums?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  12. Mostly Filmtracks and its associated Facebook group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wish I got more members from this place (and FSM, for that matter) to post on our own forum at http://celluloidtunes.no/forums/

But when I implemented it last year, I was well aware that it was the worst possible timing for creating an old-school messageboard. I mean, when even veteran boards like this are dying, what are the chances of a new one surviving in 2019?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I haven't commented here as much to be honest because i've been listening to more rock/electronic music, like Radiohead or Daft Punk.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I listen to film music a lot less than I used to. A LOT less. When I do listen to it, it’s barely ever to albums - almost always playlists.

I finally became old enough to realise that arguing about opinions was not a productive use of time.

I think that about sums it up for me.
  13. I rarely listen to new film music anymore. I'm mostly living in the past in that regard and I feel that I have said everything I have to say about that music. I still listen to a lot of electronic music and progressive rock, but that also is driven by nostalgia.

As James said, some discussions are running in circles and that doesn't seem very worthwhile.
    I still listen to albums though. The album is still the musical representation of the film for me.

smile