• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2019
    Captain Future wrote
    I rarely listen to new film music anymore. I'm mostly living in the past in that regard and I feel that I have said everything I have to say about that music. I still listen to a lot of electronic music and progressive rock, but that also is driven by nostalgia.

As James said, some discussions are running in circles and that doesn't seem very worthwhile.
    I still listen to albums though. The album is still the musical representation of the film for me.

smile

you mean you don't want to argue about whether Hans Zimmer is ruining film music or if James Horner copied himself too much? Whaaaaaat?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I rarely listen to new film music anymore. I'm mostly living in the past in that regard and I feel that I have said everything I have to say about that music. I still listen to a lot of electronic music and progressive rock, but that also is driven by nostalgia.

As James said, some discussions are running in circles and that doesn't seem very worthwhile.
    I still listen to albums though. The album is still the musical representation of the film for me.

smile

you mean you don't want to argue about whether Hans Zimmer is ruining film music or if James Horner copied himself too much? Whaaaaaat?

What makes matter worse is that I am your typical "on one hand ... on the other hand" guy. In an internet world, where everything is discussed as either being black or white with religious zeal you get pushed aside if you are not ignored altogether.

Admittedly that about never happened on this board. In other places it's common practice.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2019
    Captain Future wrote

What makes matter worse is that I am your typical "on one hand ... on the other hand" guy. In an internet world, where everything is discussed as either being black or white with religious zeal you get pushed aside if you are not ignored altogether.

Admittedly that about never happened on this board. In other places it's common practice.

and its worse on sites with upvotes/downvotes where any unpopular opinion is just downvoted into oblivion.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. To be honest, I'd listen to the stuff I like rather argue about it, or beg for reissues of titles that I missed and generally confuse record labels with charitable bodies...

To be honest the FSM message board running gags are the equivalent of the comic strips in Private Eye, i.e. Stopped being funny years ago... if they ever were. I don't mind tweeting about it...
    Plus I have a huge backlog of stuff to listen to that built up while I was in hospital... and to be honest I still get new releases. maybe I'll participate more when I'm caught up..
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2020 edited
    I know it's a controversial thing to say, but is it perhaps time we close this board for good?

Coming here every day, and seeing the complete lack of activity (now we're even invaded by spambots, usually the sign of a messageboard's very last breaths), just makes me sad.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Maintitles never say die wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. It's just hard when there are SO many scores out there. I don't feel qualified to comment so many times because I haven't heard the music being discussed. I don't usually get new scores until way later, and by that point everyone else has already said everything there is to say about it. But I do still come here sometimes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2020
    Well, you're about the only one.

I suggest Bregt closes this board for good. Those of us who want to stay in touch, can do so through other channels (like Facebook). Keeping it open the way it is now, is just an insult, really. Compared to what the board once was.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. It is sad. I wonder why it happened. I suppose some of the pillars of the community like Timmer, Martijn, Steven, Erik, James etc simply don't post as frequently anymore and the rest have simply followed suit. I know I haven't been posting as much as well but I think that was in part a response to the general lack of activity. I've always been more of a reactive poster, more likely to respond to what someone else is saying than prompt a discussion myself, so I know I haven't been doing much to keep Maintitles going. But it's also been a turbulent few years for me personally and film music has (unfortunately) taken a bit of a back seat. I still listen as much as ever, but I don't do as much exploration and discussion.

I'd love to keep coming here but sadly I don't think I can be relied on to help prop the forum up much. I'd still be very upset to see it go. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2020 edited
    I WAS upset to see it go, back when the activity dropped a couple of years ago. But now I'm more upset to see it in such disarray, like a mausoleum. Which is why I'd rather see it deleted than continue to exist; put it out of its misery and all that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2020
    While it's sad that there is a lack of activity here... I'm partly to blame... I don't want this board to go anywhere. There's a wealth of information in these threads that I'd hate to see just vanish! You should all go back to the beginning of some these threads and just re-visit the fun we used to have. It's a wonderful trip down nostalgia lane. Just a suggestion!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2020
    sad

I understand your pain Thor. I keep it as a reference, a bit like what Erik says.

I don't think it will ever pick up again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2020 edited
    Fair point. Mausoleum it is! smile

I just need to wean myself off of clicking on Maintitles every day. Force of habit that is hard to change, since it was my favourite messageboard about film music in my online existence.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. True that, probably the only place where I feel really secure with my film music preferences, though in case of Filmtracks I started to kinda boycott due to the obvious reviewer bias on the site (however I don't mind its Facebook group).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. I'm not a part of any other forums/film score chat places, so I appreciate you keeping it open - even if we just swing by occasionally, it's nice to feel connected to others who share the same passion. So when I need to geek out on something film music related, I know where to come! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2020
    I love this group. It is at least one forum where I can keep track. Others are so filled with nonsense of which I do not care about. Nowadays I am in scanning mode for all forums and Facebook groups. I pick the information that I need.

And I miss you all :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2020 edited
    Ok, I haven't been active much (I've basically started a new life) but I'd hate to see this forum die. I've been here since the beginning... and I've valued every input. I've even been massively drunk with some of the members... Thor, Bregt, Thomas... and others (the two trips I made to Ghent in '12 and '15 were fucking amazing). I'd hate for this all go to waste. And I'd equally love to see you all again in person.

I'm drunk. But the sentiment remains.
  8. LSH wrote

An apt summary of these forums.
  9. LSH wrote
    Ok, I haven't been active much (I've basically started a new life) but I'd hate to see this forum die. I've been here since the beginning... and I've valued every input. I've even been massively drunk with some of the members... Thor, Bregt, Thomas... and others (the two trips I made to Ghent in '12 and '15 were fucking amazing). I'd hate for this all go to waste. And I'd equally love to see you all again in person.

ah those were the days indeed. Hopefully it can return someday, when this whole Covid shit is behind us
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2020
    I'm not dead! I just .. ahem .. lost my password for a few years.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  10. Rian wrote
    I'm not dead! I just .. ahem .. lost my password for a few years.

And in between those years, life moved on wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020 edited
    A question:

I sometimes host a Zoom get-together on FSM (like tonight at 21:00). Would something like this be interesting for Maintitles as well? It won't be able to up the activity here, but in Maintitles' dying hours, it would be neat to see some of you guys face to face at last. Heck, even Timmer could join, if he's lucky with his Nepalese internet connection.

Let me know, and I'll set this up soon.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I haven't done anything like that before, but sure, why not? We didn't have Zoom back in 2007, so might as well have some fun with it and say hello (or goodbye I guess, if Maintitles is dying out sad ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020
    Cool. I'll look into it. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to join tonight's FSM meeting in one hour, here are the details:

Link: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/75861994753?p … c1c055QT09

Meeting ID: 758 6199 4753
    Password: 6zUFkn
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2020
    wave

And beer is a requirement, if you can arrange it. beer
  12. I'd be in!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  13. That sounds like fun. I could join depending on what time you do it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2020
    I'll be up for it, time difference and internet connection depending.

And yes, BEER! Lots of it
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    A question:

I sometimes host a Zoom get-together on FSM (like tonight at 21:00). Would something like this be interesting for Maintitles as well? It won't be able to up the activity here, but in Maintitles' dying hours, it would be neat to see some of you guys face to face at last. Heck, even Timmer could join, if he's lucky with his Nepalese internet connection.

Let me know, and I'll set this up soon.

That'd be great. I would join for sure! Not this Saturday night though.

Could you please stop using apocalyptic words about MainTitles though? It hurts. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DuRiNg tHeSe UnCeRtAiN tImEs

(As the meme goes.)