• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016
    Ding for the win......I hope.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016 edited
    Ding final-struck. Finally managed to settle in. Finals are generally a borefest with a clear frontrunner, I hope this wont be the same.
  1. francis wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    What is the meaning of one of the players "needing Snooker"? What does "Snooker" mean in that context, apart from being the name of the game? I never got that part of the rules. smile

You get a snooker or snooker someone by leaving the white cue ball in behind a colour ball preventing your opponent from from hitting the object ball directly. He then has to 'escape' from that snooker situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nY_UIip4w

You are trying to force an error, resulting in foul points awarded (minimal 4 points, more when you accidentally hit blue 5 pink 6 or black 7 or get a 'free' ball). So even if your opponent crossed the winning line and scored more points than are left on the table, in theory you can play on for snookers.

Of course when the balls are badly situated and it’s highly unlikely that you can still come back, most players will just concede instead of try for snookers. They know that while in theory it is possible to still win, the chance of actually getting a snooker and having your opponent foul as a result is slim. Which is why few players will continue when more than 3 snookers are needed, the general practise is 1 or 2.

Ah! Thanks a bunch, Francis! beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016
    Dang.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016 edited
    I think the first session of the final necked Ding. He was always trailing behind and had flourishes of century breaks but in the long haul, against a player like Selby with an excellent tactical gameplay, you need to make that difference by being more consistent.

Deserved win for Selby.
  2. Definitely. Ding wasn't on top of his game, at least today. I haven't seen anything yesterday, because I was out of town, but except the comeback in the final session, I've seen him doing better.

And Selby evidently improved his game. Ding, along with Robertson and maybe Trump (though the jury is still out after that weird behavior, when he wanted to play when Ding wanted to give the frame up), is one of my favourite players, but I have to say that I actually like Selby.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016
    francis wrote
    Dang.

My thoughts exactly. slant

Fair enough to Selby, he's done what every player who's won the world championship once wants to do and that is to win it twice nailing the approval that the first time wasn't "lucky".

My favourite player is Ronnie O'Sullivan and I'd love to see him equal or take over Hendry's record of seven world titles, despite now being one of the "older" boys he still has it in him for a number of years yet as long as he doesn't do one of his silly arsed decisions and retire prematurely.

My all time favourite player is Jimmy White cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016
    Timmer wrote

My all time favourite player is Jimmy White cry

Never heard of him. biggrin

I hear you about O'Sullivan and it is a shame that he doesn't commit harder to the game. He still is the most naturally gifted player on the circuit, but someone is bound to come around and change that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And Selby evidently improved his game. Ding, along with Robertson and maybe Trump (though the jury is still out after that weird behavior, when he wanted to play when Ding wanted to give the frame up), is one of my favourite players, but I have to say that I actually like Selby.

I don't. Snooker is a very psychological game and players like Selby like to dominate and get under their opponent's skin. He is very good at psychological warfare and thank god Hendry is now in the commentary box to point that out. When you are down, Selby will do his best to keep you there. When he has the run of the ball or gets away with shots after missing them, he'll grin and smile like he somehow deserves it. When lucks turns on him, he'll prance about and make it clear. It's his show to put on, his stage to show off on. He also plays very negative snooker at times, always choosing for the easy roll up or breaking the momentum instead of giving frames a chance to continue. In the end that determination got him through this tournament, but it's a trait that I'm not a fan of.