• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016 edited
    This is a dedicated snooker thread for those who are snooker loopy.

If you don't know what snooker is or how the game is played, click here for the basic rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    It's been another one of those odd world championship tournaments; most big names are out (O'Sullivan, Robertson, Trump, Higgins ...) and the upcoming semi finals feature two huge underdogs; 'angles' McManus (age 45) and Marco Fu, up against respectively my favourite to lift the world cup Ding Junhui and his biggest threat Mark Selby.

I only caught the later quarter finals; hearing Willie Thorne call yesterdays match between Barry Hawkins and Marco Fu the best snooker game he's seen his entire life left me perplexed (and worrisome for his mental health). It was average snooker with small 30 breaks at best and Hawkings' performance was a letdown overall. Much more interesting was the Higgins vs McManus match with some excellent tactical frames and a deserved win for the oldest player to go through to the semi-final since 1985.

I'm rooting for Ding, who is it going to be Timmer? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016
    Timmer has been talking about creating a dedicated snooker thread a LOT.
    He's gonna either hate you for stealing his thunder or love you for actually finally getting one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer has been talking about creating a dedicated snooker thread a LOT.
    He's gonna either hate you for stealing his thunder or love you for actually finally getting one.

Guilty shame

But I did leave him the opportunity to start his own dedicated curling thread. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I never cared for snooker in the past, but over the last couple of years I've caught myself being hypnotized by it when I tune in -- especially during lazy holidays when I'm hung over at my parents' house (they have Eurosport). I've also started to understand the rules a bit more, so that helps.

I remember following last year's(?) world championship, in particular, because it featured the Norwegian player Kurt Maflin (of English descent, though).

There are still rules and strategies I don't understand, and it's nowhere near my favourite sport (I prefer to watch sports that are a bit more physical), but I'm getting there.

As for playing it myself (or rather the "easy" version of billiards/pool), I'm absolutely dreadful. Should be good for a laugh, though.

Too many parentheses in this post.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. All I remember is the professional player with his upside down glasses when I accidentally saw a snooker match on TV, and that he was quite good at it. That's pretty much it concerning my knowledge of the sport.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well done Francis biggrin beer

Gilles, the man with the upside-down glasses is Irishman Dennis Taylor, he won the world championship once in 1985 in the most famous final of all time where after 35 frames the winner was decided on a black ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNpyNHrmjk

I was one of the 22 million UK viewers who stayed up late watching this live. Taylor retired many years ago and does commentating now.

Francis, I'm with you, I'd love to see Ding win, Selby is one of the toughest match players as we know so no easy task.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. You'd be shocked that I actually watch the championship when I can (though I'm not sure I will tune in today, as I have stuff to do and maybe a concert later. I'll surely also lose a bit of the final as well, as I'm going to the Hans Zimmer concert on Sunday).

What can I say?

Some dismal performances. Judd Trump wasn't up to his potential and I don't really understand why did he continue playing when Ding gave up a frame. Ali Carter was "another ballgame" with my favourite being him making the cue jump totally over the black ball he was supposed to pot. Yeah, that was downright hilarious.

I kinda feel sorry for Ronnie O'Sullivan, while I think Barry Hawkins deserved the win. That moment when the cue and the red went into the hole AT THE SAME TIME was also one of the "highlights" for me. I don't think I'll understand what Higgins pulled off last night for a long time (he had a won match, but he lost more due to his bad performance than Alan MacManus' own form).

I know the players (I know about Ali Carter) are very negative about the tables, but I don't think that is only the case. Some, putting it very mildly, simply don't seem to be on top form.

Oh, and I have to check Trump's tweet AFTER losing to Ding. He's been quite condescending.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    As for playing it myself (or rather the "easy" version of billiards/pool), I'm absolutely dreadful. Should be good for a laugh, though.

A Snooker table is very intimidating compared to a pool table. I have done a 96 break on a snooker table, it should have been over a 100 but I got too excited and missed a really easy black slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I kinda feel sorry for Ronnie O'Sullivan, while I think Barry Hawkins deserved the win. That moment when the cue and the red went into the hole AT THE SAME TIME was also one of the "highlights" for me.

I'd have felt far more sorry for Hawkins if he'd lost after O'Sullivan's sublime and epic fight back, Hawkins hadn't beaten O'Sullivan for 14 years ( 14 YEARS!!! Does it get much more disheartening than that ). Amongst the balls Ronnie was as good as ever, it was his lack of practice in 'scrappy' matches that proved his undoing.
  3. Can you tell me what happened to Higgins last night? I mean he had a basically won match!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't watch it ( at least the final 7-8 frames ). Francis?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Can you tell me what happened to Higgins last night? I mean he had a basically won match!

Higgins had a confortable 2 frame lead throughout most of the match up till 11-9 or so and then McManus started playing very well with big breaks. Higgins also missed a couple of easy shots either due to his less than stellar form or the russian mafia (sr I still can't shake that thought out of my head when watching him miss a ball). biggrin

Ding currently destroying McManus in the first session, if he keeps this up he'll have a free day before the final. I wouldn't be surprised if Selby manages to run ahead as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Never trusted John Higgins since that incident. I'd nickname him John 'The Highwayman' Higgins and his entrance music would be Adam and The Ants 'Stand and Deliver'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A Snooker table is very intimidating compared to a pool table. I have done a 96 break on a snooker table, it should have been over a 100 but I got too excited and missed a really easy black slant

I used to think I was quite good at pool (and I was in comparison with my friends - but then when I tried a couple of times to play other people, I realised my friends were just really shit) - and once I had a go at snooker. Bloody hell, quite a difference.
  4. What is the meaning of one of the players "needing Snooker"? What does "Snooker" mean in that context, apart from being the name of the game? I never got that part of the rules. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This thread's title confuses me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    What is the meaning of one of the players "needing Snooker"? What does "Snooker" mean in that context, apart from being the name of the game? I never got that part of the rules. smile

You get a snooker or snooker someone by leaving the white cue ball in behind a colour ball preventing your opponent from from hitting the object ball directly. He then has to 'escape' from that snooker situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nY_UIip4w

You are trying to force an error, resulting in foul points awarded (minimal 4 points, more when you accidentally hit blue 5 pink 6 or black 7 or get a 'free' ball). So even if your opponent crossed the winning line and scored more points than are left on the table, in theory you can play on for snookers.

Of course when the balls are badly situated and it’s highly unlikely that you can still come back, most players will just concede instead of try for snookers. They know that while in theory it is possible to still win, the chance of actually getting a snooker and having your opponent foul as a result is slim. Which is why few players will continue when more than 3 snookers are needed, the general practise is 1 or 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016
    Steven wrote
    This thread's title confuses me.

You are right, I've removed the nuts biggrin
  5. francis wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    What is the meaning of one of the players "needing Snooker"? What does "Snooker" mean in that context, apart from being the name of the game? I never got that part of the rules. smile

You get a snooker or snooker someone by leaving the white cue ball in behind a colour ball preventing your opponent from from hitting the object ball directly. He then has to 'escape' from that snooker situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6nY_UIip4w

You are trying to force an error, resulting in foul points awarded (minimal 4 points, more when you accidentally hit blue 5 pink 6 or black 7 or get a 'free' ball). So even if your opponent crossed the winning line and scored more points than are left on the table, in theory you can play on for snookers.

Of course when the balls are badly situated and it’s highly unlikely that you can still come back, most players will just concede instead of try for snookers. They know that while in theory it is possible to still win, the chance of actually getting a snooker and having your opponent foul as a result is slim. Which is why few players will continue when more than 3 snookers are needed, the general practise is 1 or 2.

Sometimes they may set up a snooker hoping that the opponent will pick a shot that will put the cue ball in a desirable place, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just read all the responses to the thread and it means absolutely nothing to me just like baseball for you guys
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just imagine Baseball if it was extremely exciting Tom, that's Snooker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    When you truly understand the game it isn't boring at all but like Snooker (I think) a game of strategy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016
    76 minutes sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said some people just don't understand
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Timmer wrote
    76 minutes sleep

I saw the entire frame on eurosport, they were broadcasting live. I saw that the BBC was 15 minutes behind or so and when the frame looked over, I switched over to check out the commentary from Thorne and Virgo. biggrin

Lots of scrappy play these last two days and you can tell the duration of the tournament has taken its toll on the energy and mental state of the players, many of which have been there from the qualifiers' stage.

I can see this going to a deciding frame tonight.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No final decider for Ding who goes through 17-11, the first time an Asian player has reached the world championship final.
  6. How did Marco Fu not feel that nudge on the red with his finger? He must have missed it because, with all the cameras, he couldn't have thought he would get away with trying not to admit the foul.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. Anyway, looks like, as francis mentioned that this'll go right to the line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016
    No decider but still an epic last tactical frame. I hope Ding gets it, not a fan of Selby but perhaps for the better that's he's through as he'll put up a good fight.