• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016
    My list pretty much matches yours. I didn't realise how many albums from the 80s I enjoyed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Prince's guitar playing never got the respect it deserved!

Really!?? Most everyone I know would cite him as being awesome, man could play just about fucking everything. Check out Roy Buchanan on my list, known as 'the greatest guitarist you've never heard of'.

Lots of superb choices by everyone, who the fuck said that 80's popular music was crap. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    who the fuck said that 80's popular music was crap. biggrin

I know not of what you speak.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm, this might be a challenge. There are many *songs* I like...but *albums*?
    I'll have a think.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    Off the top of my head.

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    - The greatest rock album of all time and my second favourite album of all time (Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell is #1). Second best opening to an album EVER; "Welcome To The Jungle." My second favorutie song of all time; "Sweet Child O' Mine." (First best opening and favourite song "Bat Out Of Hell" wink )

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
    - Hit after hit after hit. Perfect 80's hard rock album.

-Erik-

Forgot about these two. I'll add them to my list. Also 2 rocking LP's I think I still have lying somewhere.

Bat Out of Hell 1 and 2 were sadly not made in the 80's, they would make the list too. And I really love Bat 3 too. A much better Bat trilogy than Zimmer's. punk

Later this year the Meat is releasing another Jim Steinman collaboration, I can hardly wait. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    First of all those albums others have already mentioned, and I happen to love as well (and to show I pay attention and actually read through these list posts! wink )

christopher wrote
    I still love Joshua Tree. It's one of my favorite albums ever.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    AC/DC - "Back In Black" (1980)

Erik Woods wrote
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Aerosmith - Pump

Timmer wrote
    ELIMINATOR - ZZ Top

DreamTheater wrote
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

And to these I would add
    Flash Gordon - Queen (1980)
    Yes, yes, I'm cheating, but Queen riffing off hard of Howard Blake's awesome orchestral score is just one massive energy drive. Flash...ah-HAAAAAAAAH! is a battle cry for the ages!
    Super Trouper - ABBA (1980)
    One of the best ABBA albums (and most of them are so good), injecting that beautiful lyricism into that strange nigh-melancholy sound. I think this album employs that the best, overall featuring songs of loss, loneliness and estrangement.
    I Love Rock 'n' Roll - Joan Jett (1981)
    Yyyyeeeeaaah! I've had SUCH a crush on this bad, bad grand lady of rock. She can put a dime in my jukebox any old day!
    Soul Mining - The The (1983)
    Very, very weird, surreal pop. Never really knew what to make of it. But I love it.
    The Hunting Of The Snark - Mike Batt (1984)
    One of those odd concept albums that are closer to musicals than pop records. John Hurt and John Gielgud take turn reading Carroll's classic epic poem, interspersed with appropriate -and at times quite moving- songs by Batt. His orchestration skills are really quite something!
    Graceland - Paul Simon (1987)
    Simon's seminal South-African flavoured work. Absolutely spellbinding stuff. My favourite songs are the almost magical-realist Boy In The Bubble and the almost aloof happiness of Diamonds On the Souls Of Her Shoes. But You Can Call Me Al has had my vote for very best video clip ever for nigh to twenty years now.
    Permanent Vacation - Aerosmith (1987)
    Like the later Pump, this is a fantastic album, though notably less dramatic and far more upbeat than the latter. Nevertheless it's just one fantastic song after another until the album ends...on a weird semi-soundtrack-ish track, called The Movie...which I always skip. Go figure.
    Songs Of Love And War - Mike Batt (1988)
    Not a concept album, but still quite visual, with grand -some might say pompous- orchestral arrangements, and very dramatic imagery in the lyrics.
    Nobody's Perfect - Deep Purple (1988)
    Recording of a live 1987 tour has Deep Purple in finest form, effortlessly jumping through all their greatest hits with a vigour and enthusiasm that exceeds their sudio albums. This is in fact my favourite Deep Purple album ever!
    Trash - Alice Cooper (1989)
    Quite possibly one of THE greatest comeback albums. Alice reinventing himself in hard rock. There's nothing deep or meaningful here, but DAMN it's tight, it's raw and it's fantastically infectious. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good lord. That looks like my old now playing posts. (This is a reference I imagine only I will get. I will high five myself later.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's interesting that, although I have rather different taste than Erik and Martijn in this thread, there are still one or two overlapping albums. And it shows that the decade had many things to offer, for different taste in music. Not just easily dismissed, which is very popular in certain circles (although it's been having a bit of a comeback in the last decade or so).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Soul Mining - The The (1983)

I was very close to putting this over Infected.

Just check out Jools Holland here, man cooks the piano cool

p.s. FLASH GORDON is cheating in my opinionated book tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Good lord. That looks like my old now playing posts. (This is a reference I imagine only I will get. I will high five myself later.)

I get you, I remember biggrin wink

face-palm-mt ( yeah, not quite a high five emo )
  1. Alice Cooper's Trash is good and has two killer hits. I only have 4 AC albums and the most entertaining for me is Hey Stoopid from 1991. It's been a very regular (awesome) listen (and singing) these last 25 years. punk

There's one other seminal 80's album I totally adore but it's a best-of : Queen - Greatest hits : Milestone pop/rock band. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.