• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016
    Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their submissions to the Composers Challenge. I was glad that we received so many entries that crafted the Dear Esther sequence in their own ways.

Let's down to business. Only the top three will be announced.

The winner of the Dear Esther Composers Challenge is Ray Juden (Entry #2):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSOVxQ_ … mp;index=2

Second place goes to SkyLynx (Entry #1):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EffVklL … mp;index=1

Third place goes to JB Francis (Entry #4):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZz34h … mp;index=4

Congratulations to Ray for his winning entry.

At this time, everyone can share their reviews on all of the entries because it is a good idea to give feedback to the composers on how they did.

Thank you again for everyone's participation in this challenge.

There will be a new challenge starting next week. Stay tuned for more details.

Kevin
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Congrats to the winner.

You can read my brief reviews here:
    https://thecomposerschallenge.wordpress … r-entries/
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016
    Hmm, didn't know about this. I might give it a shot on the next one...
  2. The right entry won. It was quite well done.
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    LSH wrote
    Hmm, didn't know about this. I might give it a shot on the next one...

I apologize for not updating the MainTitles one. Historically, I have never gotten much interested from the MT community so I did not think it was worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    Well certainly update in the future as I would love to give it a go and I don't really browse some of the other sites.

Is it announced on the VI-Control forum?
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    LSH wrote
    Well certainly update in the future as I would love to give it a go and I don't really browse some of the other sites.

Is it announced on the VI-Control forum?

It was not, but it might be in the future.
  3. KevinSmith wrote

I apologize for not updating the MainTitles one. Historically, I have never gotten much interested from the MT community so I did not think it was worth it.

Quite frankly, you hosting the last contest (as opposed to what ever happened to KK doing it), was riddled with inconsistancies, lack of updates and information.

Off the top of my head, take these examples:

* No consistant updates (across all forum posts) on things.
    * Starting new threads for each announcement, confusing people who might be paying attention or trying to keep track.
    * Promising a prize which never materialized, followed by never talking about it again.
    * Complaining when you didn't get the interest you think it should have gotten.
    * No contact information in the initial contest announcement, among other little problems in the initial announcement.

And now to add to that above listing: You promised a new contest the nest week, and that next week ended May 28, so this is the week after that week. And still no word.

You have to understand you won't necessarily get what you hope from it, you have to put some effort into it and keep simple to follow. And if you feel you can't deovte the time to it, let somebody like Synchrotones take a whack at it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Quite frankly, you hosting the last contest (as opposed to what ever happened to KK doing it), was riddled with inconsistancies, lack of updates and information.

Off the top of my head, take these examples:

* No consistant updates (across all forum posts) on things.
    * Starting new threads for each announcement, confusing people who might be paying attention or trying to keep track.
    * Promising a prize which never materialized, followed by never talking about it again.
    * Complaining when you didn't get the interest you think it should have gotten.
    * No contact information in the initial contest announcement, among other little problems in the initial announcement.

And now to add to that above listing: You promised a new contest the nest week, and that next week ended May 28, so this is the week after that week. And still no word.

You have to understand you won't necessarily get what you hope from it, you have to put some effort into it and keep simple to follow. And if you feel you can't deovte the time to it, let somebody like Synchrotones take a whack at it.

I have taken note for the future.

The contest will be announced by Wednesday. My job Real life has taken up my time lately (which I was not expecting).

I have the clip selected, I just have to do the promotion.

By the way, I did tell you on FSM what the winning entry won: A copy of Intrada's Something Wicked This Way Comes by Georges Delerue.
  4. Some suggestions for the next contest:

* Stagger important updates so every certain number of days or one week, you have some new to add and keep the contest "alive" and get more notice.

* Announce the prize, if there is one, before the the deadline (if possible), so people know what they are getting and generate interest in entries.

* Keep the updates in one thread, at each forum you post the contest in, and date it so people searching for the thread once it becomes old, can find it more easily. An example (do as you wish though):

June, 2016: Composer's Challenge X

* Don't announce a possible extension unless it's certain. In other words, don't announce things that likely won't come to pass. Dont' confuse the reader or set up false expectations.

* Give a contact e-mail so people can e-mail you with questiosn or even e-mail their entry. Also suggest file hosting sites. A lot of people use dropbox, for example. Specify what file type you want and whether or not you want/will accept the video premade by the entrant.

* Remember to remind people that if they want to be annonymous, they shouldn't put their name on a video or submit it to youtube in advance.

* Make the voting/judging process more clear, in advance. First Syncrotones asked us to comment and rate (with no definition on how to rate) and then you asked people to:
    Please rank the following entries from 1 to 10 (10 being the best and 1 being the worst). Please do not rank your own work.

Which not only contradicted the earlier Syncrotones comment, but again wasn't clear.

* And the final thing to pop into my head at the moment: find an alternative host just incase you guys didn't get permission to use what ever film/TV/or video game footage you use andit's removed or blocked in countries by Youtube.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    justin boggan wrote
    Some suggestions for the next contest:

* Stagger important updates so every certain number of days or one week, you have some new to add and keep the contest "alive" and get more notice.

* Announce the prize, if there is one, before the the deadline (if possible), so people know what they are getting and generate interest in entries.

* Keep the updates in one thread, at each forum you post the contest in, and date it so people searching for the thread once it becomes old, can find it more easily. An example (do as you wish though):

June, 2016: Composer's Challenge X

* Don't announce a possible extension unless it's certain. In other words, don't announce things that likely won't come to pass. Dont' confuse the reader or set up false expectations.

* Give a contact e-mail so people can e-mail you with questiosn or even e-mail their entry. Also suggest file hosting sites. A lot of people use dropbox, for example. Specify what file type you want and whether or not you want/will accept the video premade by the entrant.

* Remember to remind people that if they want to be annonymous, they shouldn't put their name on a video or submit it to youtube in advance.

* Make the voting/judging process more clear, in advance. First Syncrotones asked us to comment and rate (with no definition on how to rate) and then you asked people to:
    Please rank the following entries from 1 to 10 (10 being the best and 1 being the worst). Please do not rank your own work.

Which not only contradicted the earlier Syncrotones comment, but again wasn't clear.

* And the final thing to pop into my head at the moment: find an alternative host just incase you guys didn't get permission to use what ever film/TV/or video game footage you use andit's removed or blocked in countries by Youtube.

That's why I like using game clips, because there are no copyright issues compared to using film clips. And with game clips, you can just to remove the music but keep the sound (which is much harder to do in film).
  5. justin boggan wrote

This one is my fault, I'm sorry. I probably took a little bit too much liberty. Though the thing is... I really do want the general public involved and get them voting. I also really want an 'official' jury. For me, this thing isn't about winning, it's about the genuinely useful feedback.
    I like listening to the other entries and picking up little details and saying "hey, I noticed what you did there!". I'll be honest and say I was disappointed that some of the feedback I got didn't get past the "you cheated with the dialogue". Okay, my bad... but what about the rest of it?

So, I really hope, Kevin, that you improve the judging process. Also, at the end, I think we all want to see how we did. Not just the top 3.

And I really believe the clip should stay around 3 minutes or so. A long clip takes a long time to write and takes even longer to judge... putting off people to listen.

Looking forward to the next one! Either as composer or as collaborator/reviewer, if you want me.

cheers.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    Synchrotones wrote
    justin boggan wrote

This one is my fault, I'm sorry. I probably took a little bit too much liberty. Though the thing is... I really do want the general public involved and get them voting. I also really want an 'official' jury. For me, this thing isn't about winning, it's about the genuinely useful feedback.
    I like listening to the other entries and picking up little details and saying "hey, I noticed what you did there!". I'll be honest and say I was disappointed that some of the feedback I got didn't get past the "you cheated with the dialogue". Okay, my bad... but what about the rest of it?

So, I really hope, Kevin, that you improve the judging process. Also, at the end, I think we all want to see how we did. Not just the top 3.

And I really believe the clip should stay around 3 minutes or so. A long clip takes a long time to write and takes even longer to judge... putting off people to listen.

Looking forward to the next one! Either as composer or as collaborator/reviewer, if you want me.

cheers.

Actually, I have another long clip which has many composers very interested. But the one after the next one will be shorter.

Also, I still think it's better not to hurt people's egos which announcing how everyone did. I would think that reviews would be more helpful for the composer ti know rather than they know that they finished second to last or last.

Of course I would you as a composer/reviewer