• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    ....and I've been following the selections from Erik's shows.

With the volume off I presume... wink

-Erik-

No Erik. Seriously I try to give ALL music a chance. I'll never give up.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016 edited
    So what are everyone favourites this year, if you had to narrow it down to a few that are really standouts? I must say I usually forget most titles when someone asks favourites for a year. It also happens when I ask that same question to myself. So that's why I'm posting this.

The favourites I remember are Planet Earth 2 (Zimmer, Shea, Klebe), The Red Turtle (Laurent Perez Del Mar), Carol (Burwell), ... Other albums I loved are Island Songs (Arnalds) and Junk (M83).

I'm not up to date with the latest, but I remember listening to Rogue One and thinking it was good but not replayable that much, which is my feeling about a lot of Giacchino scores recently (esxcept for last year's Inside Out).

So help me remember the great stuff of this year please.
    Kazoo
  1. Score of the Year: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino
    Re-release: Silent Running - Peter Schickele
    Archival Release: Beverly Hills Cop I+II - Harold Faltermeyer
    Re-recording: The Thief of Baghdad - Miklos Rozsa

Non film music album of the year: Rosetta - Vangelis

Personal discovery: Hurry Up, We're Dreaming - M83

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016 edited
    Ah yes, if you'll allow me, I will follow Captain Future's template of categories. Kinda. Sorta.

Score of the year in film: Jóhann Jóhannsson - Arrival
    Score of the year on album: John Williams - The BFG
    Soundtrack album of the year including songs: La La Land
    Re-release of the year: Jurassic Park Collection
    Non-score yet score-related composer album of the year: Jóhann Jóhannsson - Orphée
    Why isn't more people talking about this of the year: Danny Elfman - Rabbit & Rogue
    Score I should've listened to but haven't gotten around to yet of the year: Dario Marianelli - Kubo and the Two Strings
    Most fun track of the year: Alexandre Desplat - Meet the Pets
    Déjà Vu moment of the year: Michael Giacchino - The Imperial Suite, no wait, the Jurassic World march, no wait, The Imperial Suite
    Score that didn't live up to the hype and was kinda not right for the film of the year: Laurent Perez del Mar - La Tortue Rouge
    The unpopular opinion of the year: "You know, Junkie XL's Batman theme in its fully developed form really isn't that bad."
    The popular opinion of the year: "I just sampled 3 random tracks from Kurzel's Assassin's Creed score and they all sounded the same."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016
    My list is coming up soon; I'll record a Top 10 of 2016 episode when I get back to Oslo tomorrow.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. There have been some great expanded releases this year, I'd find it difficult to pick between Starship Troopers, The Ten Commandments and The Lost World, all absolutely stunning.

I haven't been blown away by much new music this year, I enjoyed BFG, Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange but I wouldn't call any of them favourites. Jungle Book is probably my favourite new score of the year but that may change to Rogue One, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with that one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2016
    Top ten scores of the year:

1. Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard
    2. The Huntsman: Winter's War - James Newton Howard
    3. Cézanne et moi - Éric Neveux
    4. The History of Love- Armand Amar
    5. The Handmaiden - Jo Yeong-wook
    6. Passengers - Thomas Newman
    7. Knight Of Cups - Hanan Townshend
    8. The Young Messiah - John Debney
    9. The Cairo Declaration - Ye Xiaogang & Chad Cannon
    10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Michael Giacchino

Top ten cues of the year:

1. Ravenna's Embrace - The Huntsman: Winter's War - James Newton Howard
    2. End Titles, Pt. 2 - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard
    3. Inside The Case - Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard
    4. Relieve Him of His Wand , Newt Releases the Thunderbird , Jacob’s Farewell - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard
    5. Wedding - The Handmaiden - Jo Yeong-wook
    6. The Tree from Mount Fuji - The Handmaiden - Jo Yeong-wook
    7. The Story of the Book - The History of Love - Armand Amar
    8. Paul s'en va - Cézanne et moi - Éric Neveux
    9. Your Father Would Be Proud - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Michael Giacchino
    10. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Michael Giacchino

Composer of the year - James Newton Howard

Happy new year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2016
    As posted in the 'official' Celluloid Tunes thread, here are my ten favourites:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … l-edition/

I'll paste in the selections when it's been out for a while. For now I want people to listen.
    I am extremely serious.