• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hunting for some new music/blogging inspo, hit me up with your faves from this year X spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    My ultimate favourite so far is Cliff Martinez' THE NEON DEMON. But several other good ones too. I'll come up with a list later.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So far...

Alphabetical

1) 10 Cloverfield Lane (McCreary)
    2) Gods of Egypt (Beltrami)
    2) Paper Lanterns (Cannon) replacing The Cairo Declaration as that was released in 2015 shame
    4) Tale of a Lake (Aaltio)
    5) War & Peace (Phipps)

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's a bold top choice! It's not bad, but it bored the shit out of me. I'm at a loss why it's getting so much praise.
  2. Loving Gods fo Egypt, listening to it now! Also realised I already have the pleasure of following you on twitter Erik!

Let me know if you think of any more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If GODS OF EGYPT is your thing, then my own picks are probably not up your alley. I didn't care for that at all.

That being said, here is a preliminary list:

1. THE NEON DEMON (Cliff Martinez)
    2. EDDIE THE EAGLE (Matthew Margeson)

...and then, in no particular order:

MADE IN FRANCE (Rob), MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN (Carlo Siliotto), PEE-WEE'S BIG HOLIDAY (Mark Mothersbaugh), BIRKEBEINERNE (Gaute Storaas), DEADPOOL (Junkie XL), JOURNEY TO MECCA (Michael Brook), THE YOUNG MESSIAH (John Debney), TALE OF A LAKE (Panu Aaltio), LAMB (Daniel Berardinelli).

Plus the Cannes discoveries: THE RED TURTLE (Laurent Perez), ELLE (Anne Dudley), MEAN DREAMS (Son Lux), THE HANDMAIDEN (Yeong-wook Jo)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I tried to think about it and then realised that I haven't heard anything from this year. Worrying.
  3. Ok fab thank you! Do you guys have any good sites to listen to them on because I can't always find the full album..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think several of them are on Spotify already, last time I checked. THE NEON DEMON won't be out before June 24th.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, unfortunately The Neon Demon isn't on Spotify, I was hoping to have a listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Yeah, unfortunately The Neon Demon isn't on Spotify, I was hoping to have a listen.

Some of us have an early promo, but you'll have to wait a few weeks. It's out on CD and digital (incl. Spotify) on June 24th, and then on vinyl on July 8th.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    LSH wrote
    I tried to think about it and then realised that I haven't heard anything from this year. Worrying.

Remedy that NOW!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    War & Peace (Phipps) and Gods of Egypt (Beltrami) so far
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

2) Paper Lanterns (Cannon) replacing The Cairo Declaration as that was released in 2015 shame

-Erik-

The Cairo Decleration is breathtakingly good. https://play.spotify.com/album/0GOgeZrkW0HKfcwLPy9JCO

From what i hear, Paper Lanterns is equally lovely although smaller scale. https://play.spotify.com/album/2qyG0Wpxyv8k0OM5eCOmET thanks for the heads up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw who is this guy, Chad Cannon? what's his background? he writes beautifully.
  4. I'll throw The Jungle Book by Debney into the race, but I still don't think we've yet heard a really great score this year. Some solid stuff, yes, but nothing at the level of Wolf Totem and Jupiter Ascending right at the start of last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wolf totem is brilliant indeed, one his best scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

Orchestrated for Desplat. Worked with Conrad Pope.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'll throw The Jungle Book by Debney into the race, but I still don't think we've yet heard a really great score this year. Some solid stuff, yes, but nothing at the level of Wolf Totem and Jupiter Ascending right at the start of last year.

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Thanks. He has a magnificent flair for lush orchestral writing. Explains a lot (his background which you provided). And i also sense a strong tight with Asia?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Thanks. He has a magnificent flair for lush orchestral writing. Explains a lot (his background which you provided). And i also sense a strong tight with Asia?

The band?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'll throw The Jungle Book by Debney into the race, but I still don't think we've yet heard a really great score this year. Some solid stuff, yes, but nothing at the level of Wolf Totem and Jupiter Ascending right at the start of last year.

rolleyes

Which of my two points do you disagree with? Never mind, I know it's both wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

The band?

Nobody should have a strong tight with that band, ever wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh come on! I actually dig lots of stuff by that band, including their hit "Heat of the Moment".
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I absolutely love "Boys From Diamond City" and like several other songs by Asia.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016
    So far this year my answer is nothing and I've been following the selections from Erik's shows.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    ....and I've been following the selections from Erik's shows.

With the volume off I presume... wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, Erik has a particular taste in scores (more varied than I give him credit for, but still...), so while that is good for certain things, I wouldn't recommend using that as the ONLY source for keeping up-to-date. Look around; check out some promos for yourself; check out other podcasts (mine and others); ask people for recommendations, check out some of the recommendations in this thread etc.

For exampe, I feel fairly confident that you'll like the upcoming THE RED TURTLE, released by Quartet on June 10th.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor could you link me your podcast please?

X
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016 edited
    ScoreItNetwork wrote
    Thor could you link me your podcast please?

X

Sure. http://celluloidtunes.no
    I am extremely serious.