• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016
    I realize that the music is successful in the films of today but I just can't get behind them as a stand alone experience. The last modern film I enjoyed the music to was "Mr. Holmes" which I found to be a good Burwell soundtrack. I watch a film today and I am wondering how JW or Korngold or Herrmann would have handled it. When I listen to a new classical piece (for me) I am wondering how it might fit in a particular movie.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Could it be that you're not looking for the things that are more up "your alley"?

I know that you are a member of the IFMCA like me, Tom, and so you should have access to all the wonderful promos we're receiving. Have you tried sampling these once in a while? I can think of several scores that I think you'd like (knowing your preference for classical or orchestral music of a certain type).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That could very well be.Plus the lack of interest in the comic book heros.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You don't like Superman?
    shocked
    I have a good mind to report you to the Committee Of Unamerican Activities!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Even though I'm far younger than Tom, I've already started losing interest in modern film music a while ago. Most of what's coming out these days doesn't do it to me anymore. About once a year something comes out that I think is excellent. My personal decline of interest started with Jerry passing away. A year ago it was James. When John goes all my heroes will be dead. And nobody's alive today to fill their mighty big shoes.

But it's all good... I have enough music to last me two lifetimes. I even lack time to listen to it all now. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016
    I enjoyed the John Williams Superman score very much.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2016
    That was close, Tom.
    VERY close.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016
    Thanks
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016
    Personally, I have not had the time lately to keep updated on what's coming out, so I find myself returning to the collection and enjoying older scores instead of buying new ones. And I find that i have a tendency to choose mainly golden age scores, Williams, Horner, Goldsmith and of course Kamen. I do find though that there are still great new works written (which I think I would never discover were it not for Erik's radio show), but there is so much good music standing there on the shelf that I know I will enjoy, that I often choose to return to that instead of investing time in exploring new works...

Either way, as long as we listen to music we enjoy, it doesn't matter if it's new or old, right?
    - What matters is the music -
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Manwe wrote
    Either way, as long as we listen to music we enjoy, it doesn't matter if it's new or old, right?

FACT! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Manwe, you are the manwe think alike.

See what I did there? wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope. Try again.