• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm excited for Iceland and they're a great story this tournament, but England were absolutely shocking tonight. Amateur errors, terrible passes, balls lost, crosses soaring over everybody's heads. No energy, no ideas, no motivation and dreadful decisions by Hodgson. Appalling to see such a low-quality display from what is nominally a top side - they deserved what they got.
  2. Judging by office chat...losing the footie is a bigger disaster than the brexit.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  3. Well apparently you can get into the semifinals of a major tournament without ever honestly winning a game now. Not that Poland really deserved it more, mind you. slant
  4. Wales is the new England! smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. No. Belgium is the new England! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2016
    I'd love to see Wales go on to win it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Yes, that would be excellent!

I didn't think Wales would triumph over Belgium. Certainly on paper Belgium should have won. But Wales' system and passion saw them through. Portugal have been playing pretty poorly throughout the tournament, so I would think Wales would have a good chance of progressing to the final. I just hope that the suspensions are not too damaging to their chances.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Hell, yeah!!, but man, was that a tight match! Now it's France or Iceland. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Wales will have a tough time of it without Aaron Ramsey (by my judgment, he's been just as important to their success as Bale has), but Portugal has been so dreadful that I feel like knocking them out shouldn't be too difficult unless Ronaldo happens to have a good day.

I wasn't able to watch most of the Germany-Italy game but I did catch the shootout. My God, but that dragged itself out. Nailbiting! shocked
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    No. Belgium is the new England! wink

You said it, it was appalling. Hopefully Wilmots (the coach) gets sacked without pay. What a joke. There was never going to be a better time to go for that finale.

Wales knew what to do, and they played with a perfect strategy and a winning spirit. We on the other hand didn't know what to do, and defensively we were nowhere (okay there were 3 key defensive players missing who normally would have played all the time), but still .... on paper we would always win that game.

Goes to show that a game still needs to be played.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. I didn't think Belgium was anywhere near as bad as England...but Wales was, simply, better. They exploited Belgium's weakened defense mercilessly (I mean, that was a nice move by Robson-Kanu...but a simple turn like that shouldn't be enough to beat the entire defensive line).
    • CommentAuthorCalcio
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    Let's not forget that a Wales player (Davies) should have received a second yellow after a clear foul on Lukaku, and Belgium arguably deserved a penalty not long afterwards. Wales have done well, but they've certainly had some luck so far in the knockouts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    Iceland fought bravely; I don't think they were humiliated even if they lost 2-5 to a relaxed France. Entertaining match, for once!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I didn't think Belgium was anywhere near as bad as England...but Wales was, simply, better. They exploited Belgium's weakened defense mercilessly (I mean, that was a nice move by Robson-Kanu...but a simple turn like that shouldn't be enough to beat the entire defensive line).

problem is (for most of the players and fans) that we saw again no solutions when teams play in that formation and with that kind of positive energy. Tactically our coach failed, and it wasn't the first time. Plus the fact several players never belonged to be there, and that he screwed up with numerous substitutions and choices.

He will be getting his C4 very soon.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. Thor wrote
    Iceland fought bravely; I don't think they were humiliated even if they lost 2-5 to a relaxed France. Entertaining match, for once!

It was entertaining, but it was also pretty much bereft of suspense (the opposite of the Germany-Italy game, which was very suspenseful but also rather dull). As soon as France netted their 2nd it was pretty clear who the victor was going to be. Still, Iceland can certainly hold their heads high.
  13. Well, my money is most certainly on France tonight, who have overcome their early wobbliness to look like pretty much the best side in the tournament after all. If you ask me, the way Portugal squeaked its way into the final is pretty shameful; there were several more deserving teams, including Italy and Germany (who were very unfortunate in their semifinal, which was a lesson in just how much inefficiency can kill in football). Portugal's only honest victory was against Wales; before that, it was five ties in a row, and that simply doesn't feel right. slant

Also - if France wins, then not only will Germany have been in the top 4 in the last six major tournaments, but they will always have been beaten only by the winner. That's a remarkably consistent performance. It's nice to have a national side to root for that's so reliable. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016
    So...Portugal, then.

Bollocks! Apparently, it's enough to win one match at fulltime in order to win the whole championship. Talk about undeserved victory! But hey, that's football for ya.

crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016
    The final was pretty much the story of the tournament. So many of the bigger sides much less than the sum of their parts, so many of the lesser ones managing to grind out victories seemingly through sheer will and determination. Didn't make for entertaining viewing at all. France looked so tentative, their pace was so slow, their star men didn't seem to turn up - but you have to credit Portugal's doggedness and at least they won it via an excellent goal rather than penalties. Pepe was a man mountain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016
    Yeah, it was certainly genius to put Eder on. He quickly became the man of the match with his massive physique (and arms and legs going everywhere) that the French defenders struggled with.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Man of the match for me was Rui Patricio. He had at least four immense saves that kept Portugal in the game.

Well, an underwhelming tournament has its underwhelming champion. I suppose that's fitting, in the end. And i guess I'm happy that Ronaldo gets to lift a trophy for his country, even if he barely played in the final (that was just absolutely rotten luck). But Portugal should not have made it past the group stages. slant