• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anybody? tongue

Well, it's Germany's first game today and while it's kind of true that we have everything to lose (seriously...even winning the Euro is a step down from winning the World Cup), I'm pretty confident that we'll reach the semis at least, and in a system where, due to some of the third-place teams advancing, all you really have to do to advance from the group is not embarrass yourself, I doubt that the Ukraine, Poland and Northern Ireland will pose us much trouble.

I watched three of the four matches so far and while none of them were classic games or anything, they were all quite close and exciting, even in matchups that by rights shouldn't be (France vs Romania). I'd have liked for Albania to hold Switzerland to a tie (shame they blew that huge opportunity in the last five minutes), but I'm very happy that Wales won and I'm looking forward to seeing how far Gareth Bale can carry them. biggrin

Also looking forward to Belgium. They didn't quite light up the World Cup the way I had hoped but that's still an insanely talented team.

Oh, and Iceland! cheesy sorry Oranje
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2016
    I picked Germany to win it in our competition at work. Most people picked France but I'm not convinced (and no more convinced having seen their very narrow win over Romania, but they do undoubtedly have some great players).

I thought England were excellent in patches against Russia and it was frustrating to be pegged back at the end. Still expect them to win the group (Wales second) but probably go no further than QF.
  2. France are in a bit of a transitional phase it feels like, I think they've got huge potential but the team is young and hasn't yet really crystallized, and is missing some (formerly) key players like Ribery and Benzema.

I only saw the first 30 minutes or so of the England-Russia game and it certainly looked like England (about whom a lot of what I said about France also applies) were dominating, I was surprised to see later that they only managed a draw. But that somehow feels symptomatic of English football in the last decade or so. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    God I hate football. Glad we don't show it in our bar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds like my kinda bar.
  3. Then what are you doing in this thread? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The same reason I'm in any thread.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    God I hate football. Glad we don't show it in our bar.

Steven wrote
    Sounds like my kinda bar.

I follow the World Cup and the Euros but I can't sit and talk about it. I have a certain group of friends who are footie mad, once they're on that line of conversation there's no stopping them and my brain flatlines and I scan the crowd for somebody else to talk with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Well, I take a moderate interest in football. Certainly I don't watch three matches a day even if time allows. I will watch tonight obviously.
    I'm a bit put off by what happened in Marseilles but I guess these are things to reckon with.
    As to the Mannschaft I am unsure. If they do the usual routine they will start out with a meh game a and get stronger in the course if the tournament. It too is a transitional team. If they make the semifinal, I'd be most pleased.
    In times when right wing politicians trigger scary discussions about who is a real German (and thus fits the German team) I'm curious if Jerome Boateng, who has a Ghanaian father, might lead the team on the field.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2016
    Football: civilization promoting eh? see all those beatings between brain-dead hooligans destroying streets and public places alongside their stupid faces. God i hate football and the brainless animals that call themselves 'fans' with all my heart. So, no Euro crap for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2016 edited
    I don't watch as much club football as I did in the 90s (when I knew most major players, teams etc.), but the Euro and the WC are still highlights of any given year. So yeah, I'm following the championship this year. Even if Norway didn't qualify (deservedly so, we've hardly been worse than we are right now).

Oh, and I love "Johnny" Williams from Wales. OK, so his real name is Jonathan, not John, but he looks kinda like a mid 50s version of our "Johnny" Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Football: civilization promoting eh? see all those beatings between brain-dead hooligans destroying streets and public places alongside their stupid faces. God i hate football and the brainless animals that call themselves 'fans' with all my heart. So, no Euro crap for me.

Yes - thank you for tarring all of us with the same brush. And I suppose all Muslims are terrorists too? rolleyes
  6. Only those that take things way too personally would be offended by Demetris' post.

I understand what he's saying though. The only thing that soccer is about these days is huge amounts of money and violence.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. As a football fan, I'm quite interested to see what my team will do. Belgium has got an insanely talented group, so reason enough to show it after a rather disappointing world cup two years ago.

But it will not be easy tonight against Italy.
    May the best team win beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, don't take D. too seriously. You know how Greeks are: all constantly drunk on ouzo, and too lazy to do any actual work.

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All the scumbags should be deported, preferably to Skull Island.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Only those that take things way too personally would be offended by Demetris' post.

I understand what he's saying though. The only thing that soccer is about these days is huge amounts of money and violence.

He says and does the exact same thing Demetris did. slant
  9. Well that's the only thing it seems to be these days, the ugliness that surrounds that so-called sport. Do we hear the same crap in tennis, or golf, or automobile racing?

As I'm no soccer fan, I probably should just ignore this whole thread.

Those were just my two cents. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Do we hear the same crap in tennis, or golf, or automobile racing?

It would certainly liven up those boring events wink

A better example is Rugby, a tough physical contact sport with great fans.
  10. Okay using golf as an example of a sport that doesn't invite violence was a bad example...

I should've used chess. biggrin
  11. That being said, I'll never understand why people buy tickets to go to soccer matches, only to cause havoc and risk getting them expelled from future matches. And make their own team look bad in the process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And I suppose all Muslims are terrorists too? rolleyes

Ah that old strawman. That didn't take long!
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    That being said, I'll never understand why people buy tickets to go to soccer matches, only to cause havoc and risk getting them expelled from future matches. And make their own team look bad in the process.

yeah

Of course I agree with this. But it hardly seems fair to take that example and then make giant declamations to the tune that football is a worthless sport and anyone who watches it must be a violent hooligan.

Opening this thread was obviously a mistake.
  13. No, football is not all about money. Soccer I don't know about. wink It is also about positive fan culture, the fight against racism, fair competition. It's about agility, learning to behave in victory and defeat. Many of my students are playing football. Two are referees. In Germany football is by far the most popular mass sport. There is a club in about every village. The volunteer work that is being done in those clubs, especially with young people, is of great value for society.
    Yes there are many ugly things surrounding professional football. But this comes with popularity. Looking down on all this seems rather elitist to me.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Soccer I don't know about. wink

If you hadn't said it, I would have.
    (We're SUCH Eurosnobs!)

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Robbie Keane!

I had no idea he was still playing. I love it when players from "my time" still pop up on the field.

A fair result between Ireland and our neighbour Sweden today. Ireland had the first half, the Swedes the second. I'm torn between cheering for Sweden as our neighbour, but also NOT exactly BECAUSE they're our neighbours. If you know what I mean.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. well, there goes our dream to be champion shame
    it wasn't good, more it was lousy angry

but at least our coach Wilmots didn't think it was that bad face-palm-mt
    Italy showed us efficiency and quality, so bravo Italy smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  15. I didn't think Belgium was bad so much as inefficient/inconsistent (and Italy were doing what they do best, which is defend the shit out of everything). Poor Eden Hazard was really trying his best but the options just weren't there, De Bruyne and Lukaku in particular were both pretty dreadful. The Belgian side struck me at the 2014 World Cup and still does strike me as a collection of extremely talented individuals who haven't yet really congealed as a team - and they won't win anything until/unless they do.

Still, I don't think Ireland or Sweden will pose Belgium the same problems that Italy did and I have no doubt they'll advance, so maybe they'll manage to pull together. Don't give up hope yet! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016
    I hope so. I'm not a very active footbal follower, but it's the last Belgian item that stands. All that is left is a failed state apparently.
    Kazoo
  16. There is always beer, fries, waffles and chocolates, Bregt. smile