• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016
    Hi guys

For an article I'm considering doing for my own (Danish-language, sorry!) website, I'm compiling a list of temp track bleed-through and/or examples where there are simply phrases from other scores incorporated into an otherwise original work.

I'm looking for anything from the blatant (ok, let's just call it rip-off) such as Bates' "borrowing" (erm... stealing) from Goldenthal for his 300-score to the more coincidental.

I also thought it could make for a fun thread here. I searched for it before starting this one, but haven't been able to find one.

Perhaps we could try to divide them into three categories, e.g. "Blatant", "Obvious" and "Subtle", just so as to have an idea what ball game, we're talking about.

I realize that the evaluation of what constitutes blatant as opposed to obvious or obvious as opposed to subtle is extremely subjective, but then again - this isn't a scientific analysis, just a group of fans spitballing...

So, just to kick off, I'll throw in a couple of examples.

BLATANT:
    300 (Tyler Bates), "Returns a King" | Temp: Titus (Elliot Goldenthal), "Victorious Titus"
    300 (Tyler Bates), "Remember Us" | Temp: Titus (Elliot Goldenthal), "Finale"

OBVIOUS:
    The Cairo Declaration (Ye Xiaogang & Chad Cannon), "Spy Arrested" | Temp(?): The Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones), "Main Title"
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is a thread you might want to read

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … and-paste/

Unfortunately my clips are no longer active.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here is a thread you might want to read

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … and-paste/

Unfortunately my clips are no longer active.

-Erik-

Great! Thanks, Erik! wave Didn't find that thread when I searched. Must've used the wrong search term.
  1. You also find this thread of mine, of interest:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … tv-themes/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mogens wrote
    Hi guys

For an article I'm considering doing for my own (Danish-language, sorry!) website

AW!
    You Scandinavians. So anglophobic! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Martijn wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Hi guys

For an article I'm considering doing for my own (Danish-language, sorry!) website

AW!

Many things I am, Martijn, but anglophobic isn't one of 'em! smile

The thing about the website I'm talking about is that it's not mine alone. I run it with a couple of good friends and we also have a number of "external" contributors.

While I'm quite comfortable about writing in English, I'm not sure the same goes for all our contributors, meaning that I would have to proofread and correct their submissions on top of also being the editor-in-chief (if not by title, then certainly in practice) and the webmaster.

Also, when we originally launched the site back in 2005, we decided to do it in Danish because the stuff we write about (films, film music, role playing games, computer and video games, board games etc.) was already (and continues to be) covered by dozens, if not hundreds, of English-language websites and blogs.

On the other hand, relatively few Danish sites existed that covered the exact topics we wanted to deal with, and not one Danish language site covered all those topics at the same time. This still holds true, by the way.

So I guess it's both a matter of practicality and of trying to carve our own niche in Denmark. In Denmark, we're quite unique; in an international perspective we're just another fish in the pond...

Anyway, if any of you feel like taking a look - language notwithstanding - the URL is www.planetpulp.dk. We currently have somewhere between 2000 and 2100 reviews and feature articles online (mostly reviews, and with films as the dominant topic).
  2. It's funny. I don't speak Danish. But speaking German and English, provided I know what the text is basically about, I'm usually able to get the gist of a Danish text. I was on vacation recently in northern Germany and I watched some Danish TV. If I hear someone talk in Danish ... not a chance. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Captain Future wrote
    It's funny. I don't speak Danish. But speaking German and English, provided I know what the text is basically about, I'm usually able to get the gist of a Danish text. I was on vacation recently in northern Germany and I watched some Danish TV. If I hear someone talk in Danish ... not a chance. smile

Volker

Well, English, Danish and German are of course all related, so a certain amount of common ground is to be expected. But Danish is ridiculously difficult to learn to understand, particularly spoken Danish - we cut off many endings and there are dozens upon dozens of words that aren't pronounced the way they're written. dizzy Norwegian is much easier that way (Bokmål, not Nynorsk) - things are generally pronounced as they're written. Plus Norwegian sounds cuter than Danish wink

I generally read German quite well (it was a necessity during my studies) and unless it's spoken in an obscure dialect or very quickly, I find I can actually understand spoken German fairly well, too. Now, speaking German is a different matter. I can get by, but my grammar is atrocious and - never having spoken much German - my active vocabulary is severely lacking.

With a little help from a dictionary, I can mostly understand Dutch in writing, too, but not spoken.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    justin boggan wrote
    You also find this thread of mine, of interest:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … tv-themes/

Thanks Justin! More of what I'm looking for wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    Mogens wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Hi guys

AW!

Good.
    You took my comment seriously.
    As you should.
    I am a very serious person. With very serious opinions.
    Who should be taken very seriously indeed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Hi guys

AW!

Good.
    You took my comment seriously.
    As you should.
    I am a very serious person. With very serious opinions.
    Who should be taken very seriously indeed.

Very, VERY, seriously!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016 edited
    applause
  3. There's also the "M.A.N.T.I.S" film pilot in which Joseph LoDuca lifts from "Predator" and "North by Northwest". LoDuca is no stranger to lifting from scores in other efforts, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.