• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016 edited
    Saw this film by Brady Corbet last night at the Melbourne International Film Festival and was blown away by Scott Walker's score which might be described as being like highly ramped up Penderecki crossed with, perhaps, Goldsmithian avante-garde genre work.

No hesitation in saying the lengthy opening credits cue is one of the most stunning pieces of music ever written for film. It begins with a thunderous repeated string motif that, heard in a cinema, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Much of the rest of the score - which is used fairly sparsely but for maximum impact - gives the drama of an over-the-top horror movie film with eerie dissonance and fragments incorporating parts of the opening.

Is any of it appropriate for the film? In a fundamental way, not really. But who cares? I loved it all the same, naturally, as it's undoubtedly one of the most overt and audacious uses of film music I've heard in many, many years.

Apparently a cd release is due in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to hear this again. ☺
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016 edited
    Wow, sounds very intriguing from your description, David! I love anything that goes against Hollywood convention.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016
    It's very unconventional Thor, I think a lot of people will be staggered by the bold use of music in this film (though its a very uncommercial one and unlikely to ever attract anything but a niche, arthouse crowd).

I knew nothing about 73 year old Walker's pop/rock career, firstly with the Walker brothers and now as an avante-garde rock artist who seems - from samples I've heard - to incorporate an orchestra in much of his work as well as the kind of strange dissonance heard in parts of this score.

Weird that he's only ever scored one other film and that was years ago for the enigmatic Leos Carax.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016 edited
    Leos Carax, you say? Love his films. That's a good selling point right there. I looked it up, and turns out Walker scored POLA X, one of the Carax films I have NOT seen.

Anyways, from the way you describe it, it sounds a bit like this year's UNDER THE SKIN? Is that roughly in the ballpark?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016 edited
    I'm very interested in hearing that score from your description David.

Did you know Walker wrote the theme to a James Bond knock-off back in the mid 1960's Deadlier Than The Male, a great track and man did Walker have a voice to die for. I remember fans from decades ago saying they would love to hear a Scott Walker Bond theme, later on of course he did do a genuine Bond theme albeit for the end titles of The World Is Not Enough, the weedy effort Only Myself To Blame with David Arnold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016
    I didn't know that at all Timmer. Very interesting stuff! He seems to have had an eclectic career and I like the fact that he's been almost reclusive in recent decades, not often giving interviews or drawing attention to himself and letting his work speak for itself.

Thor, it certainly has the potential to have the impact of Under the Skin in that both are striking works by composers new - or relatively new - to film music. But Walker's actual music is loud, aggressive and of a different form altogether to Levy's.
  1. I found one cue on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxpGP2r4UM
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. My review of THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/09/09/the- … tt-walker/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2016 edited
    Nice work Jon. Been playing this disc in the car every day on the way to work for the last week or so. It's just as good as I remembered in the film too.

'Opening' is just stunning. Hearing it on CD only confirms that this is absolutely now one of my favourite cues of all time. Many of the short, almost horror-tinged pieces are superb but overall the score is a must have for 'Opening', 'Post Meeting' and 'Finale' alone. A great score!