• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LAKESHORE RECORDS RELEASES THE SOUNDTRACK FOR
    THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES

ACADEMY AWARD™ WINNER JAMES HORNER COMPOSED ORIGINAL MUSIC FOR THE FILM, BASED ON THE BELOVED CHILDREN’S STORIES.

(January 28, 2008- Los Angeles, CA) – Lakeshore Records will release the original motion picture soundtrack for THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES on February 5, 2008. The album features original music by Academy Award™-winning composer James Horner (TITANIC, A BEAUTIFUL MIND).

Two-time Academy Awardâ„¢-winner James Horner began writing music for film in 1980, after completing his doctorate in composition at UCLA. Following work scoring a short film for the AFI, Horner began honing his craft at New World Pictures where he developed relationships with young directors including Ron Howard and James Cameron, for whom Horner has composed some of his most popular scores like APOLLO 13, COCOON, and RANSOM (for Howard) and TITANIC and ALIENS (for Cameron).

Horner has developed into one of the most respected film composers of his generation, composing for such films as LEGENDS OF THE FALL, RANSOM, COURAGE UNDER FIRE, CASPER, PATRIOT GAMES, STAR TRAK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN, THE LAND BEFORE TIME, and WILLOW. In addition to his two wins for TITANIC, he has earned Academy Award™ nominations for his scores for APOLLO 13, BRAVEHEART, FIELD OF DREAMS, HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG, and ALIENS, and for the song “Somewhere Out There” from AN AMERICAN TALE.

From the beloved best-selling series of books comes THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES, a fantasy adventure for the child in all of us. Peculiar things start to happen the moment the Grace family (Jared, his twin brother Simon, sister Mallory and their mom) leave New York and move into the secluded old house owned by their great, great uncle Arthur Spiderwick. Unable to explain the strange disappearances and accidents that seem to be happening on a daily basis, the family blames Jared. When he, Simon and Mallory investigate what's really going on, they uncover the fantastic truth of the Spiderwick estate and of the creatures that inhabit it. The film stars Freddie Highmore, Mary-Louise Parker, Nick Nolte, Joan Plowright and David Strathairn.

Nickelodeon Movies and Paramount Pictures presents THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES, in theaters and IMAX on February 14. The Lakeshore Records recording will be available on iTunes and in stores on February 5, 2008.

###
    For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    mmmm....

This promo must be an advice : Warning , Horner ripping himself again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    I really like this score, nice moments, a great many flourishes. Yes, I like it, kind of old school Horner score with a more mature sound. The only thing I couldn’t find is a Krull like influence, someone mentioned it earlier, that there were Krull like passages and such in this score… well, I am HUGE, Krull score fan, but I couldn’t really hear any references. Only thing perhaps is some fast horn writing in one of the last few tracks… that’s all. Anyone heard any Krull like stuff?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Quote earlier message from Nautilus... "This promo must be an advice : Warning , Horner ripping himself again."

Come on... If that’s your opinion, fine. The minor variation/reference to Casper and one tiny Troy passage, can hardly be called a rip-off. Seriously. Perhaps its in vogue to bash Horner… even when its not really warranted. This score was, in my opinion, very original, especially for Horner.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Agreed, there is no Krull in there. Not sure why that opinion seemed to spread around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    Talos wrote
    Quote earlier message from Nautilus... "This promo must be an advice : Warning , Horner ripping himself again."

Come on... If that’s your opinion, fine. The minor variation/reference to Casper and one tiny Troy passage, can hardly be called a rip-off. Seriously. Perhaps its in vogue to bash Horner… even when its not really warranted. This score was, in my opinion, very original, especially for Horner.

Using as the only consistently repeated melodic idea a slight variation on the main theme of a previous score is not "original", be it Horner or anyone else. That doesn't necessarily make it a "bad" score, but it is one of the most derivative scores of a very derivative composer's career. I don't believe there is a single moment of originality in the entire score...every minute of every cue is reminiscent of one or another previous Horner score.

Now, that being said, I find it to be a pleasant score, both in the film and as a listening experience. A bit unfocused, but still pleasant.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!