• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2016
    For the last decade or so, I've been trying to downsize my physical CD collection, and I still have dozens upon dozens of CD's that I'm trying to sell/give away (unsuccessfully so far). And I hardly ever buy new CD's.

But I've also started downsizing my digital collection. Currently going through my iTunes (about 1500 albums), and deleting stuff that I either don't like or that has been in the "to be properly evaluated" category for too long.

Yes, I'm well aware that in this day and age, digital space doesn't have to be an issue (with clouds, external hard drives etc.), but that's not the point. The point is that I want an "all-quality" collection where every album is something I want to play regularly. For everything else, I have Spotify and other streaming services.

Are you doing this as well?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No but it sounds like a good idea.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I've done this in the past. It has come back to bite me on occasion, however, as my tastes change. Some scores I wish I had held on to.
  2. I plan to. At 1070 CDs (other genres not counting) I don't want it to get any bigger. I'll try to sell / give away about 10% in the near future.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    I've done this in the past. It has come back to bite me on occasion, however, as my tastes change. Some scores I wish I had held on to.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I think like this: Should I, at some point, regret deleting or selling off an album, I'm all fine with getting it back in digital format or just streaming it. The likelikhood is very slim, though. There is so much music out there that I know I'll like and that I need, that the prospect of hunting down something I didn't care for in the first place, is slim at best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No.

Not downsizing anything in any way.
    On the other hand, my collection isn't growing very fast any more.
    Just a few CDs, maybe 10-15 a year.
    Most of my "historic" needs have been filled, and there's not very much coming out that warrants a purchase.

Digitally, I see no point in downsizing. Distilling it to what I "regularly" (what is regularly? weekly, monthly, yearly?) listen to and some "required" classics would be more work (SO much more work) than just keeping everything I have!

And streaming services simply are not a viable alternative to me.
    You can't use it when you travel abroad (unless against huge expense...and indeed not at all in an airplane, or anywhere else without coverage). And you''re dependent on the whims of the supplier, with all the risks that entails.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2016 edited
    Speaking of travelling abroad, my goal is to downsize my collection so much that it all can fit on my ol' 120 GB iPod. Which means I need to weed away some 15 GB at this point. After that, I'll still have more than a THOUSAND albums at my disposal; all top quality.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. No. No plans of downsizing for me. I sometimes think of trying to reduce the number of CDs I have but that's purely on the grounds of space (maybe I have a few 'vaulable' CDs but the vast majority aren't worth selling - no one would want them). Anyway, getting rid of CDs but retaining a digital copy is a 'gray area' and I don't want to downsize my collection at all.

It seems too much work trying to delete digital albums as it's so easy just to keep them and never listen to them again. So why invest the time.

But I wouldn't get rid of anything purely because I see myself as always giving the titles I have a chance at some times in the future (if I don't like them). And an album I have may turn up in a conversation and I might want to revisit a track or two.

I am finding that streaming music is something that I am not adopting as a regular source of listening to music. I only occasionally need music 'off-site' and I have used my iPod in the past. But, I haven't updated it with music for a while and so it is a bit out-of-date for listening.

I am not thinking of downsizing my collection, but I am wondering what's the best course of action for when I am gone. Anyone want a 2TB of digital film/TV/game music? Once I have by back-up copies sorted I should have 3 of them. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just 2 TB?
    Amateur.

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Are you doing this as well?

HELL NO!!!

Just create a gigantic playlist with all the stuff you WANT to listen to. To can still organise that playlist by GENRE, ARTIST and ALBUMS the way you do with the rest of your collection in iTunes. No need to delete. Remember your Godzilla story. Why make the same mistake?

dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good point with the GODZILLA story (for those who don't know, I had the original David Arnold promo on a CD-R, gave it away before I bought the expanded 2CD set, was predictably annoyed with the 2CD set and found out it was no way to arrange the tracks into the promo program, sold the 2CD set and then re-acquired the promo in digital format). It's a bit of an exception to the rule, though, because there was no original, official album that was easily acquired.

I guess I'm a bit anal about these things; if I have things in my collection that I'm not pleased with (for whatever reason), they become this mental 'annoyance' by their sheer presence. A bit like Steven. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'm never deleting anything. Space is no object, digitally, and I'm (perhaps a bit irrationally) mistrustful of clouds and streaming services. I want the music to be mine, stored in a place (or, rather, multiple places) I can get at and not subject to the vagaries of licensing rights, fees or whatnot. Plus I frequently like to edit my music, slim a long album down into a playlist, cut long tracks into more digestible chunks or separate parts I enjoy from parts I don't as much, or merge together tracks that flow really well, and I can't do any of that on a streaming service.

Plus even if I dislike a score and will never grow to like it, who knows when I might want to listen to it again to remind myself why I dislike it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2016
    Thor wrote
    I guess I'm a bit anal about these things; if I have things in my collection that I'm not pleased with (for whatever reason), they become this mental 'annoyance' by their sheer presence. A bit like Steven. wink

Don't hate the player, hate the game. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016
    Some of you know about my physical challenges and my dilemma is even harder. I'll be moving the end of the year with someone who'll help me dress, bathe, and do some tasks I'm unable to do. There will be no room for 3000 CD's I have room for 500 perhaps more if I'm willing to get rid of the jewel cases. I have three months to decide.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016 edited
    That's too bad, Tom. I'm aware of your physical issues, and I hope improvement is on the horizon.

If you feel you're forced to rid yourself of 2500 CD's, isn't there an easy way to do it? I mean, it wouldn't make sense to sell them off piece by piece; you'd be better off selling them in bulks, perhaps donating some of them to libraries etc. And hopefully, you have family or friends who can help you so you don't have to spend too much energy on it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016
    I too Thor am hoping for the best also.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really sorry to hear that Tom, Thor gives sound advice there, I can't add anything else but wish you the very best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You guys have all been the best for me. I appreciate it truly and can't thank you enough for your support now and in the future. I'm still trying very hard as I have therapy four times a week. I know it sounds minor but physical therapy is working on making it easier to put my pants on (legs through the holes). Some neighbors have been so much help going to the store for me, running small errands. Will stay in touch and perhaps you can all help in what 500 to keep.
  5. Sorry to read of your ongoing issues Tom. All the very best wishes to you.

Have you approached Screen Archives about taking a bulk of your albums off your hands for you? It seems like an obvious starting point. Or somewhere like The MovieMusic Store?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016
    Sorry to hear about your problems Tom.

I hope you find a good solution for the cd's!
    Kazoo
  6. Tom, sorry to hear this. Hope you find a solution you feel comfortable with for your CD's. And hope your problems do not prevent you from living as comfortable as you can.

Ps, Screen Archives does indeed buy CD's in majority, the larger the better they say.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    My downsizing has reached an impasse. Steep shipping costs are preventing me from selling/trading off my items. My sale price for the actual CD is much lower than what overseas shipping would be.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Does no one want to buy cheap CDs that have high shipping costs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    Apparently not.
    I am extremely serious.