• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016 edited
    Wow, it's been ages since I posted here! I gotta say, I missed it. Is there anybody here from the old days who might me? Would *I* even remember you guys? Well anyway, life kept me away, but... hello!

Yes, life's been too busy for me for social networking, and I'll be honest, it continues to be so. I just don't have time to hang out on forums the way I enjoyed it 10 years ago. Yes, I *will* try, I certainly will, but I actually aim to discuss our common passion with people in real life for a change. And so, I've been thinking of putting together a kind of book-of-the-month club, you see, but for film scores. Where we'd get together, sit in a room and do nothing but listen to a score suggested by one of us, then discuss it. The caveat is, of course, that we're all spread far apart around the world, but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm in Montreal, QC. If anybody is nearby, let me know!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. That sounds fun. If I lived in Montreal I would definitely be in. Why not try it online anyway, just in this thread? It wouldn't be as good as in person obviously, but it would still be fun, I think. Especially if everyone got online at a predetermined time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2016
    It's a nice idea, but with the time difference between the Americas and the rather Europe-centric mainstay of the forum, I'm not sure it would work out.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. That's right. I would try some local message board if such a things exists.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016
    Local message board, yes, I can find that.

Film music message boards, yes, I can find that.

BOTH together, however? Now THAT's been my big challenge to find!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Start a film music dedicated thread on a Montreal local board and see what happens.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Heero, what you describe sounds lovely, and if I wasn't halfway across the globe from Montreal I'd join in an instant.

That's the trouble with a niche following, though - when you've only got so-and-so-many followers, it's kind of hard to just meet up and chat over tea because the few thousand or so dedicated film score fans are scattered all over the globe. If you live in a place like LA or New York or (maybe) London, you might be able to get something going, but most other places are going to be a bit trickier. I only ever knew of one other film score type who lived in Berlin, and that's a fairly big city (Johannes Ruckstuhl - wonder what became of him, haven't seen him around for years, but we did meet up and shoot the shit once, back in 2011 I think this was).

All I can say is good luck and let people know where you're traveling to if you're really interested in meeting film score folks face-to-face. I had the immense pleasure of having dinner with Jon Broxton, Craig Lysy and Nate Underkuffler a couple years ago, and it was nearly enough to convince me to move to LA on the spot, so definitely worth making things like that a part of your travel plans. And hey, if you're ever in Berlin... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016
    HeeroJF wrote
    Wow, it's been ages since I posted here! I gotta say, I missed it. Is there anybody here from the old days who might me? Would *I* even remember you guys? Well anyway, life kept me away, but... hello!

Yes, life's been too busy for me for social networking, and I'll be honest, it continues to be so. I just don't have time to hang out on forums the way I enjoyed it 10 years ago. Yes, I *will* try, I certainly will, but I actually aim to discuss our common passion with people in real life for a change. And so, I've been thinking of putting together a kind of book-of-the-month club, you see, but for film scores. Where we'd get together, sit in a room and do nothing but listen to a score suggested by one of us, then discuss it. The caveat is, of course, that we're all spread far apart around the world, but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm in Montreal, QC. If anybody is nearby, let me know!

You could create a Meetup group and see what happens?
    http://www.meetup.com/about/
    Kazoo