• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Having recently seen 3:10 TO YUMA, trains and their musical representation in cinema are very much on my mind. Therefore I give you:

ALL ABOARD!!!

The rules:
    1. Inspired by the recent game BhelPuri ran, only COMPOSER and FILM TITLE. One point for each detail, except for clips 8 and 20, which earn double points on account of their obscurity.
    2. Also inspired by Bhel's game, the tracks are in chronological order, starting with the OLDEST. This didn't work out so well for me, as there were 3 years featuring multiple titles.
    3. From a conversation that was made towards the end of the last game, it was felt that we should restrict the number of submissions per player. We ask that you keep it to two guesses for each category for each clip. If you could make this easy on me by not submitting your guesses one-at-a-time, this would be appreciated.

The clues:
    1. Every clip comes from a scene featuring a train, and sometimes even from films about a train.
    2. While you don't have to guess the track name, it's going to help you if you know it. And in a sense, you already do.
    3. As mentioned, tracks are in chronological order, starting with the grand-daddy of them all. There's a big gap between clip 9 and 10.
    4. Three composers appear more than once.
    5. Clips appear from scores that have appeared in other Guess-the-Score games.

Clip 1
    A composer known for his at-times-slavish echoing of the image in film scoring doesn't disappoint here. Wait till you hear what this guy does with airplanes.

Clip 2
    This acclaimed composer balances the chug-a-chug motion of the train with the disoriented state of the character.

Clip 3
    Bernstein tells a story that this guy thought the Orient Express should have been scored as a 'train of death'. Ha! Like this work of his? That's the friendliest train I ever heard.

Clip 4
    A composer who spoke out against mickey-mousing concentrates on romance in one of the best train-set courtships in film. The woodwinds subtle hint at the motion of the train during all versions of this score's love theme aboard the train.

Clip 5
    This composer's harmonic writing and orchestrational ability have often been besmirched over the years. Here his specialty in percussion shines through for a genre of film he's not often associated with. It's all here - the train whistle, the force of the train, the motion sickness...

Clip 6
    The definitive cinematic train score. Without slamming down a simple meter, you get the giddy sense of drifting motion of a train.

Clip 7
    A train slowly grunts to life and heaves on its way.

Clip 8 - BONUS POINTS!
    Quite a shame Ridley Scott can't go back to this composer.
    Extra note: This CD was quite special, as I believe it is the only time Falkirkbairn and I have received the same CD at almost exactly the same time, while occupying the same timezone. Clip 4 was purchased on that same day, when 2 of our contestants were not looking.

Clip 9
    This composer scores the adventure more than the train.

Clip 10
    This composer typically avoids the motion of the train in scoring the emotional throughline of the scene.

Clip 11
    A nice impressionistic portrait of a train. An early score from a very popular composer.

Clip 12
    A pretty good film up to this point jumps the shark, and the orchestra furiously speeds up for the big moment. (Here the composer suggests the motion of the train, though realistically, the train would be travelling at the same speed throughout this scene, so really it's speaking to the audience's need for greater intensity.)

Clip 13
    Damn, that's some flute work! The composer who has scored more trains than any other makes even a convoy of horses sound like a train! This is not quite a feature film score.

Clip 14
    That glinting percussion and grunting brass somehow summon the picture of a train in my mind. This is also not quite a feature film score.

Clip 15
    Saxophones, saxophones, saxophones, saxophones... Steam train chugging along. A rare bit of image-echoing from a composer known their arthouse work.

Clip 16
    This composer has remarked of this scene that it didn't need a train motion and such a sunny love theme rendition, but that the director wanted it to sound like Maurice Jarre. Sounds better!

Clip 17
    One of the less popular (and unfairly ridiculed) Oscar winners of the 90s takes over from Thomas Newman, and in the spirit of Clip 4, concentrates on emotion, the train only intruding via a gentle string meter.

Clip 18
    Composer known more for their documentary scores pairs up with a legendary winner of the Best Foreign Language film Oscar. This probably could have also been for double points, but I wanted it to add up to a round score of 50.

Clip 19
    Now that's what I call a train of death! As the bodies pile up, it almost feels like the train is dancing some wicked two-step along with the killer.

Clip 20 - BONUS POINTS!
    This composer appears elsewhere in this game. Chinese film. (Cue 'Twilight Zone' theme for erhu.)

Clip 21
    My favourite film of 2006, next to GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK. (My facebook profile will be useless here, don't bother.) I'm not sure what it is about this piece that suggests a train. wink

Clip 22
    Reminds me of something else by this composer, or perhaps something else by another composer.

Clip 23
    The last film was simply honored to be counted as a nominee in such a prestigious English-language award ceremony. Faced with a scene involving a train, this composer sensibly scores the emotional climax of the story instead.

23 clips, 21 of which are 2 points each, the other two earn 4 points each, which adds up to 50 points.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Bregt takes the lead, but manages to come last at the same time:

Bregt - 11 points punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    New game! Yeah!!!

Peter punk
  3. Added detail to clip 8. wink
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Clip 8 - BONUS POINTS!
    Extra note: This CD was quite special, as I believe it is the only time Falkirkbairn and I have received the same CD at almost exactly the same time, while occupying the same timezone. Clip 4 was purchased on that same day, when 2 of our contestants were not looking.

Thanks, Michael!! No pressure!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Alan knows his train films, doubling our initial leader's score:

Falkirkbairn - 22 points beer
    Bregt - 11 points crazy
    Demetris - 5 points

Demetris comes in, guessing the composer for Clip 20 in a brilliant stroke.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Clip 8 - BONUS POINTS!

Favoritism rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Or perhaps the cause for much embarrassment if those guys can't remember. wink

Anyway, you should have been there! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Or perhaps the cause for much embarrassment if those guys can't remember. wink

Anyway, you should have been there! tongue

I can't remember the reason for not being able to come to London but I wish I had been there.

Look's like a good game and I'll be playing! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Alan still leads, but Tommy is making some moves...

Falkirkbairn - 30 points
    Tommy Boy - 13 points cool
    Bregt - 11 points crazy
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points

The field is pretty sharply divided between those who know their old scores, and those who know their new scores, at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Clip 8 - BONUS POINTS!

Favoritism rolleyes

You lucky lucky bastard!
  8. Actually, even with an extra 8 points to his name, Alan still hasn't got clip 8! wink
  9. Now James and Alan are on equal points:

Southall - 38 points!!!! crazy
    Falkirkbairn - 38 points punk
    Tommy Boy - 13 points cool
    Bregt - 11 points crazy
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
  10. Bump! We're a bit lite-on with players so far this time... We've not had Martijn or Steven joining in the last few games. Life too busy, boys?

Edit: And a couple of clue elaborations:

With clip 8, I said I wish Ridley Scott could work with this composer again. Meaning he can't. So whoever it is is dead.
    It also says that it's someone who composed for Ridley Scott (hence 'again').
    But it never says anywhere that it's from a score for a Ridley Scott film. wink

Re: Clip 23. I never said it was a nomination for 'Best Original Score'. The clue 'English-language award ceremony' was might tell you what category it was nominated in.
  11. Scores updated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    Damn. I'll have to make another effort.
  12. The door's open for you, James.

Even with the additional clues I just can't seem to recall clip #8.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. HOLD THE PHONE - THE COMPOSER OF CLIP 8 ISN'T DEAD! shocked shocked

Meanwhile, we have a new player in Bregje, and Southall's leadership skills are once again under scrutiny:

Southall - 44 points!!!! biggrin
    Falkirkbairn - 38 points crazy
    Tommy Boy - 13 points dizzy
    Bregt - 11 points slant
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points
  14. franz_conrad wrote
    Clip 21
    My favourite film of 2006, next to GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK. (My facebook profile will be useless here, don't bother.) I'm not sure what it is about this piece that suggests a train. wink

There is a potentially confusing element to this clue. When I ordered the clips, I went by international release date. This film actually was released first in 2004 (which is why it is where it is), but it didn't make its way to Australia and the US until 2006 basically. Sorry for the confusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I've just submitted my final guesses. So after the score's revealed, the ball's in everyone else's court.

I'm happy to arrange the next game unless anyone else already has it planned. I've already thought of an ingenious theme (well, a theme with an ingenious twist) for it.
  15. Southall - 50 points!!!! biggrin
    Tommy Boy - 13 points dizzy
    Bregt - 11 points slant
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points

A perfect score from the man from Bristol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    *begins to think that Southall is omniscient*

So what colour is my car?

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2008
    blue

SOUTHALL RULES! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It was a trick question, I don't have a car.

Peter tongue
  16. This game will go another day and a half, for all those who haven't submitted anything. (Timmer, Peter - here's looking at you!) wink
  17. Southall - 50 points!!!!
    Tommy Boy - 18 points punk
    Bregt - 11 points slant
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points

Tommy Boy bumped up the list a bit with five more points. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks to school I haven't had much time to work on this. It would be nice if you'd let it run till Saturday atleast. I think I have 30 so far including the 2nd bonus.

What's with your clue for #8? Based on your original hint I thought the composer had to be dead, but then your recent comment says otherwise (were you just kidding?).

Awesome job, Southall and Alan! beer
  18. BhelPuri wrote
    What's with your clue for #8? Based on your original hint I thought the composer had to be dead, but then your recent comment says otherwise (were you just kidding?).

I actually thought he was dead. Turns out he is alive and well! shame

I'll keep it open until Sunday in Sydney, which should be Saturday everywhere else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    This game will go another day and a half, for all those who haven't submitted anything. (Timmer, Peter - here's looking at you!) wink

Hehe. I'll give it a try now, but I won't get anywhere near the first place.

Peter smile