• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall - 50 points!!!!
    Falkirkbairn - 38 points crazy
    Bregt - 21 points tongue
    Plindboe - 19 points smile
    Tommy Boy - 17 points
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points

I incorrectly marked TommyBoy giving the composer of clip 15 (sorry mate! I misread the clip number again - you guessed the composer of one of the other clips!), so I take a point off him. Peter comes in for a strong starting point of 19 point - excellent score. smile

(And Bregt leapfrogs Tommy. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2008 edited
    If I had one more guess, I'd have some points more! Alas.

At least I jumped over Thomas. tongue
    And even Peter. biggrin
    Kazoo
  2. Southall - 50 points!!!!
    Falkirkbairn - 38 points
    Bregt - 21 points tongue
    Plindboe - 19 points
    Timmer - 18 points smile
    Tommy Boy - 17 points
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points

Timmer makes a splash, netting 18 points on his first guesses. smile
  3. Bregt wrote

And even Peter. biggrin

enjoy the moment of glory, while it lasts bud biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Bhel makes a heck of an entry! And more points for Peter!

Southall - 50 points!!!!
    Bhelpuri - 40 points!!!!
    Falkirkbairn - 38 points
    Plindboe - 29 points
    Bregt - 21 points
    Timmer - 19 points smile
    Tommy Boy - 17 points
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points

BTW Bregt - you are restricted to two guesses for each clip. You didn't guess on every clip for your two submissions, I think, so feel free to have another go on any that you've only guessed once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008
    Bregt wrote

And even Peter. biggrin

Didn't last long though.

Peter moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How long have I got for a last try?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. About a day or so. 16 hours - we'll say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Come on someone - I need more of a challenge at the top of the table!

I won't be winning the next one though. I've got the clips ready and will unveil it following the conclusion of this game.
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    BTW Bregt - you are restricted to two guesses for each clip. You didn't guess on every clip for your two submissions, I think, so feel free to have another go on any that you've only guessed once.

No Bregt, you don't have to do that, you're busy as it is with the review section biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Southall wrote
    Come on someone - I need more of a challenge at the top of the table!

I've listened to the remaining clips over and over again, but my inspiration has deserted me. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After a heavy night I've no intention to stretch my brain any further, I'll settle for my one guess only respectable 19 points.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote
    After a heavy night I've no intention to stretch my brain any further, I'll settle for my one guess only respectable 19 points.

Tim, if we ever meet up remind me never to get involved in a drinking game with you!! :hick:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008
    Ah well, I sent my second (and last) guess. I'm happy with 42.
    This was an enjoyable ride! Nicely done, Franz!
  9. Final scores - some excellent players here! Thanks to all for participating.

Southall - 50 points!!!!
    Bhelpuri - 42 points!!!!
    Falkirkbairn - 38 points
    Plindboe - 29 points
    Bregt - 21 points
    Timmer - 19 points smile
    Tommy Boy - 17 points
    Antineutrino - 8 points
    Demetris - 5 points
    Bregje - 2 points

Answers to appear in the next half hour. Bring on the next round, James. smile
  10. A note on two clues in particular:

4. Three composers appear more than once.
    Ennio Morricone - with Ripley's Game and Nostromo
    Bernard Herrmann - with North by Northwest and Ghost and Mrs Muir
    and of all people:
    Shigeru Umebayashi - with Zhou Yu's Train (Zhou yu de huoche) and 2046

5. Clips appear from scores that have appeared in other Guess-the-Score games.
    Recent games have included clips from Christopher Gordon's On the Beach and David Shire's The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3.

And the scores were:

Clip 1 - Max Steiner, KING KONG, 'Elevated Train Sequence' (1933)
    "A composer known for his at-times-slavish echoing of the image in film scoring doesn't disappoint here. Wait till you hear what this guy does with airplanes."

Clip 2 - Miklos Rozsa, SPELLBOUND, 'Train to Gabriel Valley' (1945)
    "This acclaimed composer balances the chug-a-chug motion of the train with the disoriented state of the character."

Clip 3 - Bernard Herrmann, GHOST AND MRS MUIR, 'Local Train' (1947)
    "Bernstein tells a story that this guy thought the Orient Express should have been scored as a 'train of death'. Ha! Like this work of his? That's the friendliest train I ever heard."
    This story about Herrmann is reasonably well known.

Clip 4 - Bernard Herrmann, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, 'Conversation Piece' (1959)
    "A composer who spoke out against mickey-mousing concentrates on romance in one of the best train-set courtships in film. The woodwinds subtle hint at the motion of the train during all versions of this score's love theme aboard the train."

Clip 5 - Maurice Jarre, THE TRAIN, 'Main Title' (1964)
    "This composer's harmonic writing and orchestrational ability have often been besmirched over the years. Here his specialty in percussion shines through for a genre of film he's not often associated with. It's all here - the train whistle, the force of the train, the motion sickness..."

Clip 6 - Philippe Sarde, LE TRAIN, 'Le Train' (1973)
    "The definitive cinematic train score. Without slamming down a simple meter, you get the giddy sense of drifting motion of a train."

Clip 7 - David Shire, TAKING OF PELHAM 123, 'Pelham's Moving Again Blues' (1974)
    "A train slowly grunts to life and heaves on its way."

Clip 8 - Howard Blake, RIDDLE OF THE SANDS, 'The Train to Emden' (1979)
    "Quite a shame Ridley Scott can't go back to this composer."
    Turns out he can, but he won't!
    "Extra note: This CD was quite special, as I believe it is the only time Falkirkbairn and I have received the same CD at almost exactly the same time, while occupying the same timezone. Clip 4 was purchased on that same day, when 2 of our contestants were not looking."

Clip 9 - Jerry Goldsmith, THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, 'End Title' (1979)
    "This composer scores the adventure more than the train." Weak clue, because I thought most would know the theme. It one of Goldsmith's best themes.

Clip 10 - John Barry, CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY, 'The Train Johannesburg' (1995)
    "This composer typically avoids the motion of the train in scoring the emotional throughline of the scene."
    I only got one person who was confused about where Barry had reused the Zulu theme in a late 80s/ early 90s score. Those who couldn't pick the score could usually tell the composer.

Clip 11 - Alexandre Desplat, LES MILLES: LE TRAIN DE LA LIBERTE, 'Le Train de la Campagne' (1995)
    "A nice impressionistic portrait of a train. An early score from a very popular composer."
    Pretty much only the winner of this week's game guessed this. Fine score - well worth hearing.

Clip 12 - Danny Elfman, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, 'Zoom A' (1996)
    "A pretty good film up to this point jumps the shark, and the orchestra furiously speeds up for the big moment. (Here the composer suggests the motion of the train, though realistically, the train would be travelling at the same speed throughout this scene, so really it's speaking to the audience's need for greater intensity.)"
    This is the moment in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE where a helicopter is dragged into a train tunnel. This is called 'jumping the shark'.

Clip 13 - Ennio Morricone, NOSTROMO, 'The Silver Train' (1997)
    "Damn, that's some flute work! The composer who has scored more trains than any other makes even a convoy of horses sound like a train! This is not quite a feature film score."

Clip 14 - Michael Giacchino, MEDAL OF HONOR, 'The Radar Train' (1999)
    "That glinting percussion and grunting brass somehow summon the picture of a train in my mind. This is also not quite a feature film score." The MOH main theme would have been the giveaway here for most.

Clip 15 - Michael Nyman, THE CLAIM, 'The Train' (2000)
    "Saxophones, saxophones, saxophones, saxophones... Steam train chugging along. A rare bit of image-echoing from a composer known their arthouse work." Michael Nyman = saxophones.

Clip 16 - Christopher Gordon, ON THE BEACH, 'Moira and Towers Meet' (2000)
    "This composer has remarked of this scene that it didn't need a train motion and such a sunny love theme rendition, but that the director wanted it to sound like Maurice Jarre. Sounds better!" If I'd added that the composer made this remark to me in conversation, that really would have given it away!

Clip 17 - Stephen Warbeck, CHARLOTTE GRAY, 'The Train' (2001)
    "One of the less popular (and unfairly ridiculed) Oscar winners of the 90s takes over from Thomas Newman, and in the spirit of Clip 4, concentrates on emotion, the train only intruding via a gentle string meter."
    Someone said the use of electronics in this cue gave it away as the composer of PROOF. I was surprised, as this cue sounded pretty acoustic to me. Warbeck drew the ire of many for winning the Comedy/Musical Score Oscar in one of the last years of that award. Thomas Newman composed the scores for Gillian Armstrong's two previous films - LITTLE WOMEN and OSCAR AND LUCINDA.

Clip 18 - Armand Amar, AMEN, 'Train I' (2002)
    "Composer known more for their documentary scores pairs up with a legendary winner of the Best Foreign Language film Oscar."
    The legendary winner was Costa-Gavras, who famously directed Z and State of Siege. I haven't seen this film, but soundtrack is great and I imagine the film has a lot going for it too.

Clip 19 - Ennio Morricone, RIPLEY'S GAME, 'Primo Treno' (2002)
    "Now that's what I call a train of death! As the bodies pile up, it almost feels like the train is dancing some wicked two-step along with the killer." Watch the film. A very memorable scene.

Clip 20 - Shigeru Umebayashi, ZHOU YU'S TRAIN, 'Train' (2002)
    "This composer appears elsewhere in this game. Chinese film." I figured those who recognised the next cue would pick this as also being by Shigeru. Some have asked me whether this is available. The 3-4 cues I have come from the Greek (I know!) 2CD compilation of Shigeru's scores. I don't like a lot of the music on that compilation, but this theme is a ripper. In an interview with BSO Spirit, the composer claimed that there was a CD release of this score in Japan, featuring 10 tracks, but I haven't found it yet.

Clip 21 - Shigeru Umebayashi, 2046, 'Main Theme (with percussion)' (2004-2006)
    My favourite film of 2006, next to GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK. Wong Kar Wai's 2046 was actually released in 2004 in Asian countries, and only reached Australia in 2006, which is why this one could be released before 2005 and still be my favourite film of 2006. Sorry for the confusion here!

Clip 22 - James Horner, LEGEND OF ZORRO, 'The Train' (2005)
    "Reminds me of something else by this composer, or perhaps something else by another composer."
    So either it's self-plagiarism or just plain plagiarism. Meaning it's got to be Horner.

Clip 23 - Mychael Danna, WATER, 'Train' (2006)
    "The last film was simply honored to be counted as a nominee in such a prestigious English-language award ceremony. Faced with a scene involving a train, this composer sensibly scores the emotional climax of the story instead."
    This film was nominated for Best Foreign Language film in recent times. The final scene features two of the shunned widows at the centre of the story waiting with thousands of others at a train station for Gandhi to arrive. Danna's score is a curious mix of diatonic hymn melodies (sounding sometimes like TITANIC, and sometimes like the hymn 'Amazing Grace') and subcontinent instrument.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote:
    Someone said the use of electronics in this cue gave it away as the composer of PROOF. I was surprised, as this cue sounded pretty acoustic to me.

Hehe, it sounded like something synthetic to me, just a way to describe it. Ayway, that sound reminded me immediately of Proof, so the link with the omposer was there. Guessed the wrong score as I was a bit mislead with the clue. wink

Very tough but cool game.

Who's next?
    James?

I can host your clips if you want, but I guess you'll use movie-wave.net?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry, I was too late for this one. Been away for a while and trying to catch up the discussion at FSM first and then this in a little while, but I listened to the clips before I saw the answers and I would have done quite good. I recognized a handful and took the composer on others (although not the score).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    ...trying to catch up the discussion at FSM first and then this in a little while..

Oh, it's like that is it? tongue
  11. Damn, there were a few clips that I should have identified...but clip 8 was not one of them!

I saw that THE DUELISTS was composed by Blake in the timescale that was suggested by the clips either side of this one - so Blake was someone who I did consider. But, I have no scores by Howard Blake so I'm not sure what you're referring to Michael with the clue?

Good game, though.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Damn, there were a few clips that I should have identified...but clip 8 was not one of them!

I saw that THE DUELISTS was composed by Blake in the timescale that was suggested by the clips either side of this one - so Blake was someone who I did consider. But, I have no scores by Howard Blake so I'm not sure what you're referring to Michael with the clue?

Good game, though.

That day you, James and I met up in London, James brought along a few copies of the Howard Blake promo of The Duellists / Riddle of the Sands. I thought we both ended up with a copy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Great game! Kinda embarrassed I didn't realize the Sarde one though, as I have it, and the name of the frikkin movie is "Le train".

Peter shame
  13. I was very surprised not more people guessed Jarre and Sarde's scores. Even if you hadn't heard, I would have thought people would check out whether a film had been called "TRAIN". wink
  14. franz_conrad wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Damn, there were a few clips that I should have identified...but clip 8 was not one of them!

Good game, though.

That day you, James and I met up in London, James brought along a few copies of the Howard Blake promo of The Duellists / Riddle of the Sands. I thought we both ended up with a copy?

Nope!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    Ah! I didn't get the Desplat, Gordon, Amar and Horner.

Man, when you said #11 was a very popular composer I was thinking along the lines of popular amongst the general soundtrack fans. Very few have heard of Desplat unless you're a big time score fan, isn't it?

Very nice choice of cues and clever hints. I'll have to pick up the Gordon if it's available on cd. And the Amar too.
  15. BhelPuri wrote
    Very nice choice of cues and clever hints.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Good game, though.

Nope!

I do remember bringing that along now, but only after Franz reminded us in this thread. I only guessed the clip based on the Ridley Scott clue. I've had that Riddle of the Sands CD for years and years and can't remember ever listening to it!
  16. BhelPuri wrote
    Man, when you said #11 was a very popular composer I was thinking along the lines of popular amongst the general soundtrack fans. Very few have heard of Desplat unless you're a big time score fan, isn't it?

I probably should have been a bit more specific! Desplat's all the rage among score fans of a certain age range at the moment, but you're right, most soundtrack fans probably don't know him (or like him).