• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Anyone else love the score wink ?

Is it just me or is it really rare that a film is released without any music whatsoever?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You mean the end credits piece? Yeah, that kicks ass! So raw and old-fashioned, i love it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    ...I didn't catch a sound??!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do a google search "michael giacchino cloverfield"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2008
    bartley wrote
    Is it just me or is it really rare that a film is released without any music whatsoever?

Oh, it certainly isn't the first time! Think of The Blair Witch Project, for example. But also the classics, like Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds or Rope. And I'm sure there are numerous of other examples. Within modern day blockbusters, though, it's more rare smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And recently No Country for Old Men!

Bartley, there's is an overture running over the End Credits, composed by Giacchino.
    More info starts hre: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ment_12469
    Kazoo
  1. Recently also Haneke's film CACHE
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Recently also Haneke's film CACHE

Actually, Michael, i wanted to see that film.....is it any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Yes its Great , I love it and a superb job remembering Ifukube in the music. Well done Michael.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Recently also Haneke's film CACHE

Actually, Michael, i wanted to see that film.....is it any good?

Very disturbing film. I've not ever watched it a second time, but it certainly made an impression on me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Roar! (From "Cloverfield") is awesome! My friend somehow downloaded a copy of it off the Internet, though it's really crappy, with sound effects. Really cool piece of music; it's a real shame it hasn't been - and likely never will be - officially released. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Roar! Overture is awesome! My friend somehow downloaded a copy of it off the Internet, though it's really crappy, with sound effects. Really cool piece of music; it's a real shame it hasn't been - and likely never will be - officially released. sad

It is on iTunes, perfect quality, with 3 extra minutes, for only 99 cents smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Scribe wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Roar! Overture is awesome! My friend somehow downloaded a copy of it off the Internet, though it's really crappy, with sound effects. Really cool piece of music; it's a real shame it hasn't been - and likely never will be - officially released. sad

It is on iTunes, perfect quality, with 3 extra minutes, for only 99 cents smile

Really? Sweet, I didn't know that! Thanks! biggrin
  3. Roar! Best thing he's done in years, it has an incredibly addictive beat and percussive vibe to it, I love the brass in this one, and the vocal gives it an eerie quality... It's one of those pieces that you can complete rock out on... It goes to show that Giacchino is one of the most talented people of the new generation in the industry at the moment, of course that was apparent from the day I heard his MOH scores.

Oh and the movie is damn cool as well, even though it's completely without any score, except for the last ten minutes, with end credits that make you sit until the very end!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Roar! Best thing he's done in years, it has an incredibly addictive beat and percussive vibe to it, I love the brass in this one, and the vocal gives it an eerie quality... It's one of those pieces that you can complete rock out on... It goes to show that Giacchino is one of the most talented people of the new generation in the industry at the moment, of course that was apparent from the day I heard his MOH scores.

Oh and the movie is damn cool as well, even though it's completely without any score, except for the last ten minutes, with end credits that make you sit until the very end!

"ROAR" is an excellent piece of music but hardly original to anyone familiar with Akira Ifukube, Giacchino pays excellent homage to Ifukube in this piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Roar! Best thing he's done in years, it has an incredibly addictive beat and percussive vibe to it, I love the brass in this one, and the vocal gives it an eerie quality... It's one of those pieces that you can complete rock out on... It goes to show that Giacchino is one of the most talented people of the new generation in the industry at the moment, of course that was apparent from the day I heard his MOH scores.

"ROAR" is an excellent piece of music but hardly original to anyone familiar with Akira Ifukube, Giacchino pays excellent homage to Ifukube in this piece.

Bingo!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Forgive my probably-stupid question because it is out of desire to familiarize myself with older music...is much of Ifukube's music commercially available? In recordings that will not make me cringe with their aged sound?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A lot of Ifukube's stuff has been released thru GNP Cresendo and La La Land Records. The sound... well, the older films sound older and if that sort of thing turns you off then you probablly won't like it. Actually, a great 2 CD compilation of Ifukube's Godzilla work was released on Silva Screen Records in 1998.... but again, these are original soundtrack recordings. The new stuff does sound "better." However, if you are looking for something recorded with "newer" technology then check out Ifukube's Symphonic Fantasia featuring various themes from his sci-fi work at Toho Studios.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind!
  4. If someone wants to hear the Roar suite (partly) over the trailer of Cloverfield, I've did my best to make my trailer of it.

This is a trailer like you see it everyday, SFX, dialogue and the music of the trailer over the visuals. The only sad thing is I couldn't delete those brief sound effects which stood for actual teasing music (you'll know when you hear it)

Luckily the effect is minimum and the music never sounded better during it, it really shows how well it works for such a movie

It is only 33 mb and the quality is really good (of course not HD)
    If you download it, let me know what you think of it, I'm really proud of this one

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/636741394/63 … a64db08c70
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    ^ Didn't really work for me. The piece as a whole is the wrong tone for the film. The big swelling strings you have during the first explosion doesn't work with the chaos on the screen. A few times you managed to pump the excitement level up with the music but overall it didn't work for me. I'm surprised you didn't use any of the iTunes exclusive music that's not heard in the end credits. 5:26 - 7:26. Even then Giacchino's piece is just far too cheesy for the images and editing style of the trailer.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Didn't really work for me. The piece as a whole is the wrong tone for the film. The big swelling strings you have during the first explosion doesn't work with the chaos on the screen. A few times you managed to pump the excitement level up with the music but overall it didn't work for me. I'm surprised you didn't use any of the iTunes exclusive music that's not heard in the end credits. 5:26 - 7:26. Even then Giacchino's piece is just far too cheesy for the images and editing style of the trailer.

-Erik-

Agreed. As brilliant a piece of music it is, it didn't feel right in that film. I didn't even stay through the entire end credits when I saw the film because it took me out of the "mood" I'd just had for the past two hours.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    It is a fine piece of music but I think it just works best as a homage to Japanese monster flicks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Anthony wrote
    ... for the past two hours.

confused

The movie ends at 1:20 with end credits included... shocked What version of Cloverfield you have Anthony, even more citywide destruction, young people screaming and crazy camera shaking? 40 minutes of it? I want it ! biggrin

To Thomas, dude listen to the critics and now go make the new improved trailer, you need to convince the audience you've got some real talent under the hood!!! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I once managed to watch 10 whole minutes from Cloverfield. That was it; i never tried again.
  6. I like it, original and intense, but only if you're not showing symptoms of sea-sickness during the opening minutes. Cloverfield must be the first movie in existence which can make you physically ill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What about The Blair Witch project? I'm very sensitive to shaky-cam filming, which is why I won't be watching Cloverfield.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I like it, original and intense, but only if you're not showing symptoms of sea-sickness during the opening minutes. Cloverfield must be the first movie in existence which can make you physically ill.

I enjoyed it when I finally saw it. I first put it on TV on a Sunday afternoon after a night of heavy drinking....bad idea slant dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    What about The Blair Witch project? I'm very sensitive to shaky-cam filming, which is why I won't be watching Cloverfield.

This is one of the purest craps i've ever watched on film. Plain disaster.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Shakey cam was fine with me, it was just the HUGE let down of the HUGE monster. rolleyes

Out of everything it could have been it was a cross between some weird bug and a demented dog.