• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hi everyone,

I am in the process of forming the next composers challenge. But first, I wanted feedback from the previous challenges (Dear Esther, Mass Effect 2, The Artist).

Some of the things that I would like to know:
    -What were the things that worked for you?
    -What things didn't work for you?
    -How do you feel about the variety of the clips?
    -How do you feel about the length of the clips?
    -How do you feel about the feedback being given?

If there's anything else that you want to add, please do.

Kevin
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2017
    Only comment that I have is that the clips sometimes are a bit long, which makes sitting through all of them a bit of a chore. But that is just a personal preference.
    I really like these challenges are getting such good traction!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2017 edited
    I guess my only concern with these things is that it's a pure sparetime activity. You often see these 'contests' as part of a film music event (like the WSA or Krakow), where young, budding composers compete with each other in the hope of landing a money prize or a 'network' prize or some such thing. In this case, there is no prize involved, nor any honour and glory. Just a lot of work! So I'm surprised you still get contestants.

Other than that, I don't really have much in terms of feedback, other than to echo what Martijn says. Evaluating stuff like this is usually something I get paid for, so I'm afraid I can't spend much time on it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. -What things didn't work for you?

I'm not apposed to long clisp, but when you have something that runs, for example, seven minutes and then there are twelve entries and you have to write about and rate each one, it becomes very time consuming.

-How do you feel about the variety of the clips?

So far I'm good with it, but two video game entries in a relatively short span, seems a bit much considering all that is available.

-How do you feel about the feedback being given?

It's 50/50. Some of it is good feedback and criticism, while others is just junk; "Oh, I don't like that instrument you used", yeah, so fucking what? It's not like the guy used a broken kazoo and a cheap wooden block for a big romatic love scene. It's not like somebody scored D-Day with eight bit Atari sounds. Fuck you in the ear.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Only comment that I have is that the clips sometimes are a bit long, which makes sitting through all of them a bit of a chore. But that is just a personal preference.
    I really like these challenges are getting such good traction!

I agree, I don't think it's the length of the clip that is necessarily bad. It's just when many people join, the number of times you have to watch is obviously more.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.