• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Starting off the new Now Playing thread with a score I've been meaning to get around to for a few years:

TREE OF LIFE - Alexandre Desplat

Let's see how this goes.
  2. L! That's going to take some getting used to...
  3. Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017
    Ha, ha....yeah, good point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: E.T. (John David Towner Williams)

Greatness in a box.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. A new NP thread... fantastic! Let's start with a bang. punk

THE MUMMY - Jerry G.

Relentless action and awesome themes. I love Jerry in this mode.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: E.T. (John David Towner Williams)

Greatness in a box.

^ You'll believe a man can fly on a bike! smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. It's L for Loser.

No? Well, then fuck.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. It's L for long C&C releases. biggrin
  8. Mark Mancina - Twister

Not without its adventures, this has finally joined my collection in its La La Land incarnation. Great action adventure score and the Walk in the Woods track is a revelation. The only thing I wish they did is try to redo the song as heard in film with the orchestral introduction. Van Halen's Human Being with Walk in the Woods before that was fantastic.

As I never really was a huge fan of the instrumental Van Halen track, I can simply de-program the bonus tracks version of the End Titles and listen to just Mancina's original.

A Media Ventures classic which combines the Mancina/Zimmer rock sensibilities (in a way, in the "MV" parts it's the closest Mancina ever got to Hans' style perhaps) with a very nice traditional, Western-like backdrop, which makes the storm chasers as swashbuckling as they should be.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017 edited
    Embarassingly, I still only have the old 'recording sessions' bootleg of TWISTER. I should have replaced it with a proper album years ago (the score album, but not the recent expansion!). Wonderful score, and R.I.P. Bill Paxton.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MONSIGNOR (John Williams)

Stupendous score for a crappy film.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Mancina - Twister

As I never really was a huge fan of the instrumental Van Halen track, I can simply de-program the bonus tracks version of the End Titles and listen to just Mancina's original.

The only small issue I have with otherwise excellent release: The Big Suck (alternate) IS the film version, It's evident by the percussive hits which also appear in the finale, the finger of god sequence.

And yeah I too would've loved the extra Humans Being song right after Walk in the Woods.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. KILL BILL Vol. 1 & 2

In my book the big chinned man is a true genius, at least in a musical sense. The way he selects great tunes to fit the scene, and there's rarely a scene where the music doesn't shine or is just right on the money. So that the scene is greatly improved.

Vol. 1 is the better of the two: Luis Bacalov's The Grand Duel is bloody brilliant (as is the entire sequence) and I've always had a soft spot for Zamfir's The Lonely Shepherd.

Vol. 2 has a couple of Morricone cues. Goodnight Moon by Shivaree is wonderful.

I even like the dialogue tracks, fits the entire album vibe.
  11. Thor wrote
    Embarassingly, I still only have the old 'recording sessions' bootleg of TWISTER. I should have replaced it with a proper album years ago (the score album, but not the recent expansion!). Wonderful score, and R.I.P. Bill Paxton.

I think this is a case where even you can seek out the expansion without much fuss. It's only about 10 minutes or so longer than the original album, not counting alternates and such. If the alternate is a bootleg...well...
  12. Indeed to not go for the expansion because it's C&C is not recommended, as it's clearly superior to the original album.
  13. It doesn't have those awkward track divisions either. And "Walk in the Woods" is a must-have. Win all around, and not even you can say otherwise, Thor.
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    KILL BILL Vol. 1 & 2

In my book the big chinned man is a true genius, at least in a musical sense. The way he selects great tunes to fit the scene, and there's rarely a scene where the music doesn't shine or is just right on the money. So that the scene is greatly improved.

Vol. 1 is the better of the two: Luis Bacalov's The Grand Duel is bloody brilliant (as is the entire sequence) and I've always had a soft spot for Zamfir's The Lonely Shepherd.

Vol. 2 has a couple of Morricone cues. Goodnight Moon by Shivaree is wonderful.

I even like the dialogue tracks, fits the entire album vibe.

James F.....g Last!
    and Gheorghe Zamfir wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think this is a case where even you can seek out the expansion without much fuss. It's only about 10 minutes or so longer than the original album, not counting alternates and such. If the alternate is a bootleg...well...

How long is the original album again? And how is the album sequencing between the two (is one arranged for listening and the other chronological)?
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: Transformers (2007) - Steve Jablonsky

Yes, it's Media Venture, yes, it's power hymn mussel music. But Jablonsky adds a certain style and elegance to it, that elevates this score above most of its kind.

Volker
  16. The original album is a hair under 50 minutes including the Van Halen bit at the end. The new one is 56 minutes plus 8 minutes of alternates. I don't think the original album is chronological and the new one is, but please try to remember that chronological doesn't NECESSARILY mean "bad".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The original album is a hair under 50 minutes including the Van Halen bit at the end. The new one is 56 minutes plus 8 minutes of alternates. I don't think the original album is chronological and the new one is, but please try to remember that chronological doesn't NECESSARILY mean "bad".

Not necessarily, no, but 95% of the time, in my experience. Sounds to me like the original album is the way to go.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. The new album is chronological more varied regarding the listening experience as the sequencing favors similarly sounding tracks in "chapters" (Oklahoma and so on). You can probably ditch all the alternates except replacing the End Titles with the Respect the Wind track (not a huge fan of that). The biggest addition is the orchestral intro to the other Van Halen song, which is wonderful, sadly it's just the orchestral intro. I wish they did the combo in the alternates and it'd be the perfect experience (not having THAT one on ANY of the albums is just a weird ommission).

The score is very interesting in narrative terms (because of the Americana/Western elements and later the full-on old-school disaster film mode in the Shining/drive-in tornado sequence.

Length-wise. Original album is 51 minutes long, the expansion is 64 minutes long, but you can easily scratch the original end title (add the album version of Wheatfield if you really want that recording session snippet), which would give you 58 minutes, including Respect the Wind at the end.
  18. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The original album is a hair under 50 minutes including the Van Halen bit at the end. The new one is 56 minutes plus 8 minutes of alternates. I don't think the original album is chronological and the new one is, but please try to remember that chronological doesn't NECESSARILY mean "bad".

Not necessarily, no, but 95% of the time, in my experience. Sounds to me like the original album is the way to go.

I wonder how much of the placebo effect is at work with your irrational dislike of chronological ordering?
  19. It's actually possible. He'd never know what's chronological and what's not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I wonder how much of the placebo effect is at work with your irrational dislike of chronological ordering?

And why would you assume it's "irrational"? It's only based on 25 years of experience and sampling.

But in a way, you're right. ALL preferences are 'irrational' to one extent or another. Yours too, sorry to say.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    So hasn't anyone else picked up on the fact that once again the film's finale music (when Bill and Jo are inside the twister) isn't where it's supposed to be? On the '96 release it's smack right in the middle as a sort of mini-climax, and on the new one it's an alternate.

It's nitpicking I know, but I've always preferred the version as heard in the film, it's more powerful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Captain Future wrote

James F.....g Last!
    and Gheorghe Zamfir wink

You know I had never made that connection until a couple of years ago, even though I know the tune from the days that James Last was basically everywhere. But yes it does have his signature sound, and I should've known that when I was younger.
  20. NP: The Hound of the Baskervilles (1983) - Michael J. Lewis

Lovely score. Perfect musical depiction of Victorian England and cultivated suspense. Elementary!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    ALL preferences are 'irrational' to one extent or another.

Yeah, but I prefer rationality.