• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: White Powder - Rémi Brossier

For a film billed as being a drama centred around the recovery of some stolen drugs by a 'drug lord' this is a remarkably low-key score. But, with an estimated budget of £4,000 for the movie I imagine that it's a very talk-oriented affair.

The composer does reasonably well with the score, the highlight being the ostinato-based synth drum rhythms.

Probably not one to recommend but interesting to hear what's being written for these low budget efforts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018 edited
    NP: Maroni: Les Fantômes du Fleuve - Clément Tery

Apparently this is a French police procedural TV mini-series set in French Guiana. And it's also meant to be pretty boring - which is largely borne out by Tery's music. A mix of sombre strings, synth rhythms and some clapping/human voices it's interesting from the standpoint of how the various elements sit alongside one another, but as a listening experience it's not particularly enjoyable.

But, the 8-minute track "Mort et Transfiguration" is definitely worth a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: The Commuter - Roque Baños

The initial encouragement of the use of piano/electric guitar early on in this score, I thought that is soon descended into run-of-the-mill action scoring. Disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018
    NP: LA FORÈT (Etienne Forget)

Gorgeous.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I wonder if there are any other scores whose title is that close to the composer's name? Howard Shore's The Score perhaps.
  4. Thor wrote
    NP: LA FORÈT (Etienne Forget)

Gorgeous.

Your definition of gorgeous and mine differ in this case. But we'll always have Jessica Curry's music smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a score tailormade to my taste, although I think Preisner's VALLEY OF SHADOWS is the superior score in roughly the same category.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Eiger Sanction John Williams

Without question the most popular score he’s ever written for a film beginning with the letter E, with the possible exception of ET and I suppose Earthquake. Definitely in the top three. Really pretty good.
  5. It's certainly better than that piece of shite The Empire Strikes Back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Empire does what now? Never heard of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Earthquake John Williams

The other big one. It’s ok, but not as good as Eiger Sanction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018 edited
    NP: ELIAS OG STOREGAPS HEMMELIGHET [ANCHORS UP BOATS TO THE RESCUE] (Gaute Storaas)

One of the best Norwegian scores last year. Big, symphonic, traditional...it's what most film music fans crave. Sadly unreleased, however.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018
    The Incredibles - Giacchino

I watched the new trailer; looks ok but they're gonna have to work hard to match one of the only perfect movies ever made. :-)
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018 edited
    Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson

It is OK, which is what I think of Göransson's work in general - servicable, OK, but nothing more and certainly nothing special. I prefer Creed over this score to be honest. A lot of excessive percussion work, brass blasts and chanting. Certainly no improvement as far as the quality of superhero scores - or Marvel scores go.

The Correspondence - Ennio Morricone

One of the best scores of 2016, certainly top 20 of the year material. Quite lovely mixture of Erik Satie-like piano music and calm Pink Floydesque material.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018

These super-sized digital releases for scores that can't sustain their length are really getting old. There's a decent 30-40 minute album lurking in here but at 95, this is a very punishing and unsatisfying listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Cloverfield Paradox Bear McC

One of his best. Really enjoying this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018 edited
    Two new Cliff Martinez's scores in one day. I am also revisiting his best score.

Den of Thieves - Cliff Martinez

I find this pretty weak, it is farily nondescript to me. It has some decent moments, but as a whole, this isn't a score I will revisit.

Game Night - Cliff Martinez

The stronger score of the two, but I don't find it very good either, just OK I am sorry to report. Overall, there is nothing from these two new Martinez's scores that I want to add to my best of Martinez's playlist. So far 2018 has started as weakly as 2017 was, but I am hoping that Annihilation will be a step in the right direction once that score is released.

Solaris - Cliff Martinez

One of the best scores of 2002 and one of the best electronic film scores of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've sampled GAME NIGHT, and absolutely adore what I'm hearing. Very much my cup of tea. Looking forward to DEN OF THIEVES too. Martinez very rarely disappoints.

But yes -- we agree on SOLARIS. Superb score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2018
    jb1234 wrote

These super-sized digital releases for scores that can't sustain their length are really getting old. There's a decent 30-40 minute album lurking in here but at 95, this is a very punishing and unsatisfying listen.

i used to be a 'give me all the music' person, but i've come around to your perspective.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2018
    Black Panther is superb! Easily one of the best MCU scores. I'd put it second on my list right behind Ant-Man. I love it... however, I'm with everyone else... 90 plus minutes is a bit much. I have to edit this down to at least an hour or less.

Still, it's a great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Goransson loves his Bill Conti, doesn't he? smile

Great, albeit too long, album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2018
    If anyone figures out a shorter edit, can they share it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Black Panther Ludwig Göransson

The theme is pretty solid, but most of it is so boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Cloverfield Paradox McCreary

It's temp-track city, and it's too long, but it's very enjoyable.
  7. Yeah, it is too long. I know we've been down these roads before and in principle I stand by my preference for long albums because they allow for better judgment of scores; a shorter album might be more enjoyable but they also "mask" a score's deficiencies (is a score that's five stars on a 30-minute album but has 60 additional unreleased minutes no better than two stars really still a five-star score?). But in practice, I could (and will) skip from the first 10 minutes to the last 40 of The Cloverfield Paradox and regret nothing of what I miss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Black Panther

I know soundtrack album production is a lost art, but this is just taking the piss. There are some good ideas here but they’re all simple and repeated so many times, this is just an awful album. When someone’s worked out which 60 minutes to cut out, let me know and I’ll give it another try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2018 edited
    Southall wrote
    Black Panther

I know soundtrack album production is a lost art, but this is just taking the piss. There are some good ideas here but they’re all simple and repeated so many times, this is just an awful album. When someone’s worked out which 60 minutes to cut out, let me know and I’ll give it another try.

I’m very curious about Black Panther, but comments like this combined with a 90+ minutes album prevents me from sitting down and listening to it. I just know I probably won’t enjoy this experience and get bored halfway through, just like so many albums recently of scores that weren’t bad, or could even be great, but just didn’t work for such a long duration on album (Brimstone, The Mummy, IT, The Cloverfield Paradox) or had large chunks that were simply just meant to be heard within the film and is dragging the enjoyment on album down.
  8. Again, if it doesn't work all the way through, is it really that good a score? I mean as far as I'm concerned the pushing-4-hours of Return of the King hold up and then some...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    When it’s an album, I just want the best album I can have. Doesn’t render it any better or worse as a film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2018 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Again, if it doesn't work all the way through, is it really that good a score? I mean as far as I'm concerned the pushing-4-hours of Return of the King hold up and then some...

I don't care about the quality of the whole thing, I just want enjoyment when I buy a product. A film score has by nature parts that don't work outside of the film, or parts that are repetitious when taken out of context - I want an enjoyable experience.

Return of the King is a rare masterpiece and was as such justified to have all of it released. You can't hold every score up to that standard.