• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

I don't see Doyle ever returning to this sound, and that's a shame as I truly adore this sound. He wrote many great scores at the start of a career, and this is one of his very best. Features one of the best love themes I've ever heard.

I love all the scores he wrote for Branagh, including the much frowned upon Thor.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2017 edited

The best I have heard for a videogame in that particular genre is The Elder Scrolls Skyrim by Jeremy Soule and Final Fantasy XIII by Masashi Hamauzu. Then there is the fantastic album called Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec written by Nobuo Uematsu. It is a brilliant album because it is set up to be listened to like a film score album. It has amazing themes, a love ballad, some terribly exciting action music, emotional moments, and a powerful finale. Except for one little screw-up in a particular cue, that album is quite simply perfect.

Soule's work largely puts me to sleep but agreed on those two Final Fantasy albums. XIII in particular is superb. Hamauzu is a great composer.
  2. Civilization VI - Geoff Knorr & Phill Boucher & Christopher Tin & Roland Rizzo

A custom playlist and a delight from start to finish. Knorr is an incredible composer with talent to spare.

Twister - Mark Mancina

Awesome !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Apollo 13 - Mr. Horner

One of the man's career-defining scores. He showed true craftsmanship in not only the more melodic and exciting moments in the score, but equally in the more suspenseful music of which the film has many scenes. It takes someone really talented to make suspense music hold my interest for an entire cue. The promo has all the music that warrants a 5 star album.

Thank you for all the brilliance you have given us, Maestro !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Let's hope for a commercial release of the promo content sans dialogues.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Let's hope for a commercial release of the promo content sans dialogues.

Volker

Why? I assume you already have it? I want an expanded release of Balto! lick
  5. There's an even bigger expansion of Apollo 13 than the 50-something promo.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Yeah, there's a seventy-five minute version floating around but honestly, the promo is a perfect representation of the score. The additional cues are extraneous and get in the way.

(I had a similar issue with The Rocketeer, which I also feel is better served with its original sequencing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Lost City of Z

I had heard good things about this. It's one of the dreariest, dullest albums I've ever heard.
  6. We don't all download these things Steven so I don't know why you're so incredulous at the notion. This is probably the release I'm most hoping for from the specialty labels and I'm very much hoping to see it released this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I recommend downloading it. Then you'd have it.
  7. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Let's hope for a commercial release of the promo content sans dialogues.

Volker

Why? I assume you already have it? I want an expanded release of Balto! lick

Nope. I don't have it.
  8. Steven wrote

I have such a sentimental notion for legitimate purchases. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
  9. jb1234 wrote

(I had a similar issue with The Rocketeer, which I also feel is better served with its original sequencing.)

In that case I much prefer the expanded sequencing. smile
  10. NP: DUNE (1984) - Toto; Brian Eno

Man, I love this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017
    NP: Hercules (2014) - Fernando Velazquez I finally bought it, It should have been in my collection ages ago.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Jasper Jones - Antony Partos

A really fine new score from one of our best current composers here in Australia. The themes are subtle and the general tone low-key but it's never dull.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

Legitimate purchases are fine, but I don't see any problem downloading an album that isn't available commercially and has been out of 'print' for years. Perhaps I can't speak for you, but it seems silly to be on your moral high horse for something like this. People need to chill.
  11. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

Legitimate purchases are fine, but I don't see any problem downloading an album that isn't available commercially and has been out of 'print' for years. Perhaps I can't speak for you, but it seems silly to be on your moral high horse for something like this. People need to chill.

I didn't mean to lecture you.
    It remains creative property. There is no right to have things available. So I don't really see the point in the "out of print" argument. Still, if you purchased the commercial album sometime in the past, I would concede that there is not much harm in adding a few minutes of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Jasper Jones - Antony Partos

A really fine new score from one of our best current composers here in Australia. The themes are subtle and the general tone low-key but it's never dull.

I really liked Partos' (and Lisa Gerrard's) music for TANNA last year -- especially the latter part. The film is quite good too. I have a promo, but I think it should be a commercial release.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't think anyone was trying to lecture anybody, and I can easily imagine someone who "owns" and enjoys a bootleg still being very pleased to replace that with a legitimate release, should one appear (especially if you're the old-fashioned type who likes having a physical collection). Not so strange to my own way of thinking.
  13. Field of Dreams - Mr. Horner

It's a lovely score, this one. And for a truly lovely film as well, but it has been ages since I've seen it. Something I will have to remedy soon.

The score as they say, is a must-have for any film score fan. Worth it for the highly emotional uplifting finale and all the little magical moments throughout. One of Mr. Horner's more inspired efforts for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Piano Sings Michael Nyman

An outrageously beautiful collection of piano arrangements of Nyman film music cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2017
    NP: WARRIOR (Mark Isham)

Not all the tracks are equally strong (some generic action/suspense in there), but overall I like this one.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Cliffhanger - Trevor Jones

I'm listening to the latest LLL release because I never owned the original in any shape or form. Not one of Jones' better scores in general, but it has one of the best themes he has ever written, or even written by anyone. Directors nowadays can only dream of having a composer come up with such an incredible 'listen up and take notice' theme that is instantly memorable and full of passion in its development. It's this type of theme that made me fall in love with the genre. The rest of the score isn't up to the same standard but at least it's a totally old-fashioned orchestral score, with some fine moments of action and suspense throughout. Which is better than a lot of the more recent blockbusters have given us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The theme is very similar to LAST OF THE MOHICANS, but that is a much stronger score overall, IMO. Never cared much for CLIFFHANGER outside the theme.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. I agree with Mohicans being the better of the two scores (I mean a lot better), but the theme of Cliffhanger is amazing in its own right, and I don't regret buying this expansion at all. Like I said this presentation has many fine (not great) moments, so IMO it never really bores me at all, even though I know that Jones has done much more memorable stuff.
  16. Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

Seminal as it is, I daresay this is a three-star score with a five-star theme, averaging out to about a 3.5 for me. Zimmer creates a great murky soundscape here and commits to it admirably, but I pretty much find myself checking my watch whenever the theme isn't playing. Most of the "action music" (such as it is) feels like it's marking time rather than driving things forward, and the dark choral meanderings bog things down a bit. The album's ludicrous sequencing doesn't exactly help matters.

All in all I think there are several mid-90s MV actioners I'd put over this one...but when the theme is playing this one tops 'em all. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's a five out of five score in total (way beyond the theme)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2017 edited
    One of my favorite Zimmer scores, and just a brilliant album I would take with me to a deserted island, the long tracks don't bother me at all. And the sound of the recording is fookin' badass !!!!

And just to be on the safe side I'll take Broken Arrow (the original Milan album) to that island too. punk