• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2019 edited
    How to Train your Dragon 3

I have memorized almost every note of the first two soundtracks; they were instrumental in originally getting me into soundtrack music, and I count them in my favorites.

Having given this score my first listen all I can say is that I had goosebumps 5 times, which almost never happens on a first listen. However, I should also mention that nothing struck me as an extreme standout the way that tracks like Test Drive or Flying with Mother did.

I haven't seen the movie, so maybe that will make some tracks more spectacular in context. I really don't know if I'll love this like I love the other two, but after a first listen, I'm impressed.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2019 edited
    I had a similar reaction. Nothing from it stood out to me as being as great as the greatest moments from the previous scores, but maybe repeated listens and viewing the film will change my mind. It's still very good though.

NP - Erik's best of 2018 part 1
  1. My Spotify Daily Mix 1. (Christopher Young, Alan Silvestri, Blake Neely, Jerry Goldsmith et al.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2019 edited
    christopher wrote
    I had a similar reaction. Nothing from it stood out to me as being as great as the greatest moments from the previous scores, but maybe repeated listens and viewing the film will change my mind. It's still very good though.

Try:

1. Exodus
    2. Furies In Love
    3. Third Date
    4. As Long As He's Safe
    5. Armada Battle
    6. Once There Were Dragons
    7. The Hidden World Suite

A nice 42 minute album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2019 edited
    I would amend the above playlist (if anyone's interested) to:

1. Exodus
    2. Furies In Love
    3. Third Date
    4. New 'New Tail'
    5. As Long As He's Safe
    6. Killer Dragons
    7. Armada Battle
    8. Once There Were Dragons
    9. The Hidden World Suite

A nice 48 minute album.

This really is a fantastic score. I won't be surprised if it ends up in my top 3 for 2019.
  2. I'd toss the redundant suite and add "The Hidden World" instead.
  3. NP: An American Tail (1986) - James Horner

There is an expanded edition of this score coming up. I'm trying to figure out if I will need this. I know there is much love for the score but I believe this album covers my interest.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2019
    Zbigniew Preisner - La Reina de España

I feel a bit emberassed that I do not play more very often, even though it's shows how brilliant Preisner tackles comedy. Happy music just isn't something I revisit as much as I would like to.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2019
    Didn't love the film, but now listening to the score back a few times I really love it. John Powell's choral stuff is just fantastic, and I think this is just as good as the other two scores, minus maybe some standalone cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2019
    Joep wrote
    Zbigniew Preisner - La Reina de España

I feel a bit emberassed that I do not play more very often, even though it's shows how brilliant Preisner tackles comedy. Happy music just isn't something I revisit as much as I would like to.

I have lots of Preisner, but this is one I was never able to get into, for some reason. For "lighter" Preisner, I veer more towards THE SECRET GARDEN and FAIRY TALE: A TRUE STORY.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2019 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd toss the redundant suite and add "The Hidden World" instead.

Not sure I'd call the suite redundant. I mean, it's a suite. It does what a suite does; recaps the themes. But I don't include 'The Hidden World' (the non-suite one) since it goes a bit Lord of the Rings for my taste. Not that I don't like Lord of the Rings, but it just seems to stick out a bit.
  4. I prefer suites that state themes in ways that aren't 95% identical to other cues in the score. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2019
    I wish every score (album) had a suite of themes like that one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2019
    NP: FEAST OF JULY (Zbigniew Preisner)

Quite good, but a bit repetitive. Rachel Portman has a couple of tracks too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2019 edited
    The Kid Who Would Be King

Midway through this one by Electric Wave Bureau and it's really enjoyable. Will probably end up in my favourites for the year.

Edit:

Oh yes, this is great. If you like adventure scores, remotely enjoy synthcrestral music (no idea if that's a thing, just made it up) or like film scores with a mix of brightness and moodiness, or just like melodic film scores, check this out. Or just check it out anyway.

I hope this gets some attention, flew very under the radar.
  5. NP: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) - John Powell

Benchmark symphonic film music, melodic, lavish, a joy to listen to. Powell has crafted a fantastic trilogy of scores that has a place in the Olympus of film music trilogies.
    I think, the second one is my favourite instalment, but I'll have to revisit the predecessors to be sure.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2019
    NP: CLIMAX (various)

Such a brilliant compilation of synth pop, for one of the weirdest films last year.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - John Powell

This is indeed my favourite score of the trilogy. It is more developed than the first one but has a lighter touch than the third which veers into Lord of the Rings territory sometimes.

Volker
  7. Interesting, I find the second to be the heaviest of the three. The third has its moments like that as well, especially in the final act, but in the more playful cues like "Third Date" and "Furies in Love" I felt it had more in common with the more charming personality of the first.
  8. I have to say, that I haven't seen the current film so far. Some aspects of these films are quite "adult", while others are "slapsticky". The music generally reflects that.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    I have to say, that I haven't seen the current film so far. Some aspects of these films are quite "adult", while others are "slapsticky". The music generally reflects that.

it's weird that the first film is the most mature of the three, even though the characters are the youngest in them. Scenes like the awkward talk with Hiccup and his Dad when dad is so proud of his son and the loss of Hiccup's foot in the first are nowhere to be found in the other films. And the slapstick humor of the children in 2 and 3 are way more kiddie based, while they feel charming in the first film. Perhaps Chris Sanders' influence of the first is lacking in those latter films. Still I love all 3 films, I just find the first to be perfect, while the other 2 have their amazing moments.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. NP: Pleasantville - Randy Newman

I've always thought that Randy Newman has been generally underappreciated as a film composer. He's so well known for being a brilliant songwriter but some of his orchestral scores are just gorgeous. And gosh, what a talented family he's a part of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2019
    He has limited scope as a composer, but when the projects are tailormade to him, he's really good. My favourite remains THE NATURAL. He's so good at Americana.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    He has limited scope as a composer, but when the projects are tailormade to him, he's really good. My favourite remains THE NATURAL. He's so good at Americana.

I didn't think about that before, but you're absolutely right! He really does only do one genre. smile
  12. Alita: Battle Angel (Tom Holkenborg)

Apart from the final track and a couple of nice moments here and there (With Me) I really didn't care about this score. It's functional in the film, but again it doesn't elevate it. Luckily the scenes and the quality of the film elevate it themselves. I was pleasantly surprised by Mortal Engines, but this could, NO SHOULD have been so much better. I hope Cameron realized this and that he can not give Holkenborg his Avatars. Because the world of Pandora deserves so much better.

Bah forgettable
  13. I thought this was Attila. But then he wasn't exactly an angle, or was he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Alita: Battle Angel (Tom Holkenborg)

Apart from the final track and a couple of nice moments here and there (With Me) I really didn't care about this score. It's functional in the film, but again it doesn't elevate it. Luckily the scenes and the quality of the film elevate it themselves. I was pleasantly surprised by Mortal Engines, but this could, NO SHOULD have been so much better. I hope Cameron realized this and that he can not give Holkenborg his Avatars. Because the world of Pandora deserves so much better.

Bah forgettable

Sorry to hear it. The film is my second favourite film of the year so far (after Lars von Trier's THE HOUSE THE JACK BUILT, which had a 2019 premiere here), and I was very impressed with the score. Buried a bit in the mix here and there, but channeling good ol' Horner when called for. Holkenborg continues to be one of the most impressive and versatile composers working today, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Captain Future wrote
    I thought this was Attila. But then he wasn't exactly an angle, or was he?

At least he had experience in a battle or two wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Alita: Battle Angel (Tom Holkenborg)

Bah forgettable

Sorry to hear it. The film is my second favourite film of the year so far (after Lars von Trier's THE HOUSE THE JACK BUILT, which had a 2019 premiere here), and I was very impressed with the score. Buried a bit in the mix here and there, but channeling good ol' Horner when called for. Holkenborg continues to be one of the most impressive and versatile composers working today, IMO.

I didn't hear no Horner in there Thor wink And I knew you were gonna like it so glad you did smile
  16. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I knew you were gonna like it so glad you did smile

lol lol lol

Perfect summary of Thor!