• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Cowboys (1972) - John Williams

One of the maestro's seminal Americana scores!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) - Jean-Claude Petit

A wonderful lush and thematic orchestral score. Petit sneaked Elfman's theme from Batman in here, as far as I know on the director's special request.
  3. Sticking with the letter "C":

NP: Copernicus' Star (2009) - Abel Korzeniowski

Breathtaking. So much fun!
  4. NP: Captain Future (1980) - Christian Bruhn

My signature score. smile
  5. NP: Invisigun Heroes - Paper Sound

A great game score this one that just gets better and better. The second track, "Nemoris" was my highlight track initially, but the next track "Glacianii" is quickly overtaking that.

Very recommended.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017 edited
    Edit: Wrong thread. Why do I keep doing this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017
    NP: THE PROMISE (Gabriel Yared)

I'm not usually a Yared fan, but I like this!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. ^ Me too, but I dearly wish he made more out of the religious-sounding theme you hear in the first minute of "Going Up the Mountain". That should be the main theme of something. What a waste... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Haven't heard Yareds The Promise but it's funny that the other score called The promise by Klaus Badelt has a similar thing going on. The very first cue (Freedom of the Wa) which is a sort of overture and isn't heard anywhere else. To open an album with such a breathtaking melody and not use it again was such a missed opportunity.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    In Dreams - Elliot Goldenthal

It's a very peculiar score (as with many of the man's output) but I love its incredibly dark and oppressive atmosphere. Just listen to the twisted sax in 'Rubber Room Stomp' ! But hints at something more uplifting are everywhere, in between the gritty undertones of terror lies something truly beautiful. As is the song which perfectly closes the album, almost as sweet as a lullaby. Interestingly it was a collaboration between Goldenthal (music) and director Neil Jordan (lyrics).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017 edited
    NP: THE FARTHEST REACHES - WORLD MUSIC INFLUENCES ON MODERN FILM MUSIC (various)

A fanmade compilation that was sent to me on a CD-R a few years ago, by either John "Wedge" Takis or Joshua "Swashbuckler" Gizelt over on FSM. I was obviously familiar with many of the selections before, but this is brilliantly put together.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Fort Ross - Yuri Poteyenko

It doesn't have truly memorable themes, but it has a nice enough motif that is very often used and in many variations, so it becomes a bit of the backbone of the entire score. I'm sure Poteyenko is classically trained (I can hear it in how he uses the orchestra), so this score is actually a lot more interesting than the mediocre stuff we get usually for this type of adventure films.

Because yes, it is fun in my book (after a couple of listens).
  8. NP: Old Time Party Music (1974) - Nelson Riddle

On Spotify.
    This is the Soundtrack from "The Great Gatsby". It has was never released on CD and Spotify clearly features a LP transfer. Have the tapes been lost? I'm sure a CD would find it's audience.

Volker
  9. NP: STAR WARS (1977) - John Williams

The original LP presentation and mix. I have finally come round to rip my original Star Wars CDs, which I never did before, since Empire and Jedi are just too short in this edition.

As many of us I own all three incarnations of this music on CD:

- The Polydor CDs, that feature the LP sequencing, in case of Empire the abridged non US version.
    - The Fox/Arista Trilogy box set. These are my go-to albums for pure listening pleasure
    - The MCA/Sony releases, that I cherish for archival reasons but seldom listen to in its entirety.

The original Polydor CDs, despite leaving out so much great music, are the only sources that feature the same mix of the music that we actually hear in the films proper. So I thought it would be nice to have those available in digital form too.

Volker
  10. NP: King Arthur: Legend of The Sword - Daniel Pemberton

Four or five tracks into this and I am loving what I am hearing so far. Goodness knows how it fits in with the movie but, as a standalone, it's interesting and weird and quite humorous in places.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

Received my Omni orchestral score in the mail and immediately started studying. It includes a helpful couple of pages of the many things Jerry did to tie this score together on a motivic level (many of which are fascinating). And of course, the music is fabulous. I don't think he even did any better in this genre.
  11. I know Total Recall is a very high point in his career, but he has done so much more music that I would call way up on the excitement scale. And he always delivered right up until the end (The Mummy).

That kind of musical excitement is what's missing big time in composing for film these days.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: King Arthur: Legend of The Sword - Daniel Pemberton

Four or five tracks into this and I am loving what I am hearing so far. Goodness knows how it fits in with the movie but, as a standalone, it's interesting and weird and quite humorous in places.

Totally agree. Another sensational score from Pemberton, hot on the heels of Gold. The fast-paced, heightened rhythmic intensity of most cues is just addictive. And there's something about it that feels incredibly fresh too.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Happy Now - Dario Marianelli

This might nearly be my favourite score of his. Has a quirky, oddball sense of drama meshing with other elements - all of which is reflected in the wonderful orchestrations too. A real small gem that's probably flown under most people's radar.
  12. David OC wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: King Arthur: Legend of The Sword - Daniel Pemberton

Totally agree. Another sensational score from Pemberton, hot on the heels of Gold. The fast-paced, heightened rhythmic intensity of most cues is just addictive. And there's something about it that feels incredibly fresh too.

Listening to the remainder of the album, it holds up very well. The whole feeling of Pemberton's score is 'fresh' though it's not wholly original: the style (certainly the rhythmic portion) puts me in mind of Ilan Eshkeri's Coriolanus. But, there's certainly no other score quite like King Arthur: Legend of the Sword to be heard this year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Arrival Jóhann Jóhannsson

This would have been my idea of hell when I was a teenager. I would have wondered who in their right mind would be able to enjoy what is essentially sound design. But I enjoy it I do. I much prefer Jóhannsson's work with Villenueve than, say, his pretty music for The Theory of Everything. This doesn't quite have the pulse that Sicario has, but it's all very effective and appropriate for the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Arrival Jóhann Jóhannsson

This would have been my idea of hell when I was a teenager. I would have wondered who in their right mind would be able to enjoy what is essentially sound design. But I enjoy it I do. I much prefer Jóhannsson's work with Villenueve than, say, his pretty music for The Theory of Everything. This doesn't quite have the pulse that Sicario has, but it's all very effective and appropriate for the movie.

We agree on this, for once (although I enjoy THEORY too, on a slightly lower level....it's about as 'fluffy' as Johannsson can get, I think).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't wait for his score to Blade Runner. He and Villenueve are perfect for that universe.
  13. Deep Rising (Intrada 2014) - Goldsmith

Talking about the excitement that has come out of Jerry's pen (and mind) a couple of posts above. Well it's no Total Recall, not even a distant relative but I still like the intense percussive action cues a lot. Maybe not enough of that going on for the entire duration in this expanded release, because the movie needed a lot of brooding suspense too. And that can get a little samey after a while. Still I'd much rather listen to slightly above average Goldsmith than [insert name of popular modern composer here]. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC: The Complete Score - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This brand new release with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Martin Yates somehow went right under my radar.

Running at approx 79 minutes ( nearly twice as long as the Rumon Gamba CHANDOS release ) this is amongst the most awesomely evocative film music written. Bloody brilliant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Invincible - Zimmer and Badelt

Had heard good things about this one but it's essentially a snoozer - 32 minutes of what could be the same slow, uninteresting string-heavy piece. Themeless and shapeless.
  14. Timmer wrote

This brand new release with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Martin Yates somehow went right under my radar.

Running at approx 79 minutes ( nearly twice as long as the Rumon Gamba CHANDOS release ) this is amongst the most awesomely evocative film music written. Bloody brilliant.

Looking forward to my copy arriving soon.
  15. Who released this?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Who released this?

Here
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Looking forward to my copy arriving soon.

I look forward to hearing your view. This really blew me away.